1858 R&D Conversion 411?

Started by The General, February 28, 2008, 08:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

Would it be safe to assume that the R&D conversion cylinder I purchased for my 1858 Uberti Remmy, will fit any 58' Uberti I choose to use?  Did that make sense?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Hoof Hearted

Yes and Yes ;D

You could always run into minor hitches due to tolerance stacking, but for the most part, YES.
I could walk you thru whatever may occur.............
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Oldelm

Howdy General,....yes, it will , (same caliber, of course), but there may be slight differences in the frame where the R&D might rub a bit, and you'd have to relieve that area just a tad, but generally they interchange quite well. I have an Uberti R&D which I use in a 5.5" Uberti NMA, and the outer edge of the backplate on the R&D would rub slightly on the bottom of the frame, so I relieved that spot with a dremel tool just a bit. You may want to check the chamber/bore alignment with each gun you use it in,..just to see if there are any slight differences.
Good luck  :)

SFT

If your cylinder is made for an Uberti they usually fit great, however, Pietta cylinders are a tad longer and won't quite fit in an Uberti frame.  Happened to me, but fortunately the gunshop lathed off a few thousand of an inch and it was a real good shooter after that.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: SFT on February 28, 2008, 01:30:00 PM
If your cylinder is made for an Uberti they usually fit great, however, Pietta cylinders are a tad longer and won't quite fit in an Uberti frame.  Happened to me, but fortunately the gunshop lathed off a few thousand of an inch and it was a real good shooter after that.

There is approx. 12 thousandths difference. With the Uberti being shorter than the Pietta. The Uberti will fit the ASM made pistols most of the time. If you have talent and patience you can flat file the barrel and frame on the ASM or the Uberti to allow the Pietta cylinder to fit. Then you need to re do the forcing cone. But this will allow you to set the cylinder gap as tight as you like. Alos if you do this to an ASM the barrel threads practicallly disappear looks more "Beals" like ;)
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

The General

Well, I have switched it in all three of my Uberti Remmy's & all looks well.  I will take them out this weekend & do some shooting to see how they do.  Thanks for all the insight, I do appreciate it.

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

The General

I put two boxes thru three revolvers switching out two cylinders & all went well today.  My 5.5" Uberti spit some lead out the side a couple of times but, that might be normal for them 58's, you think?

SFT

Quote from: The General on March 01, 2008, 05:54:42 PM
I put two boxes thru three revolvers switching out two cylinders & all went well today.  My 5.5" Uberti spit some lead out the side a couple of times but, that might be normal for them 58's, you think?

No, it's not.  Are the cylinders lining up with the barrel?  Spitting lead is not normal and not a good thing at all.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

sundance44`s

General ya might ought to check the timeing and chamber to bore line up ..like already said ..it ain`t normal , and should be corrected .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

The General

I was afraid of that.  I plan to meet a gentleman here in the near future who is a gun pro so, I will get him to look at this for me.  Maybe it wasn't lead but it sure appeared that way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com