Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 1303027 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football
« Reply #1180 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
I think both you fellers would get along good with ma buddy Charlie.  Ain nothin on an old truck he can't fix.  He'll do cars too, but the trucks is his love.  He's up in years now an don't do much of the wrenchin but he'll give advise all day long unless ya question him.  Then he gets quiet an let's ya screw things up.  He'll lend ya his tools with out battin an eye, but if ya don't thank him when yer done you'll never see another one.  Aint nothin I wouldn't do fer that man, I'll owe him ferever.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1181 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:38 PM »
The 351 Cleveland's weak spot was the main bearings. Things would breathe like mad though. The 221 through 302 and 351 Windsors were all related. Basically the same design just punched up each time. Me and 289's got along real well back then. Got to where I could tweak them quite easily without resorting to a cam, although that would've been the next step. I think the 351 modifieds and 400 modifieds were crosses between the two engine groups.
My last 289 was a Feb. production from 1968. probably one of the last ones. By the time I finished under the hood, it had a 500 CFM Holley racing two barrel with manual choke, dual point distributor advanced to 10 degrees before TDC ,dual low restriction exhaust, B&M shift kit in the tranny, and a 3.55 8" punkin. That thing would really git if you got in it, but still had some pretty good in town manners. had a low restriction air cleaner, too ( chrome of course). it was in a '68 Mustang notch back that'd get rubber in the first two if you got in it. sounded nice, too :o ::) ;) 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1182 on: June 25, 2009, 04:25:58 PM »
Never understood Ford. Really don’t know why I spent money on ‘em. The ’71 Comet I had with a Cleveland motor in it, a top loader four speed ‘n a Detroit Locker ass end wouldah blown 340 Dusters or 350 Novas in the weeds. Ford/Mercury never offered the option(s). 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #1183 on: Today at 09:45:51 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: June 25, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »
That 64 Falcon Sprint I had was the only small block Ford I ever owned. My 60 T bird had a 352 and my 64 fastback had a 390.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: July 01, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
Submarine races.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1185 on: July 01, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Leo, That's unacceptable conduct for a grand parent.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »
Leo, That's unacceptable conduct for a grand parent.

Wanna bet?

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: July 01, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »
You're supposed to be a role model for the Spudster.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: July 01, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
Wanna bet?

On the advice of council… No comment…..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1189 on: July 01, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »
Plead the 5th Amendment, preventing self incrimination.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: July 01, 2009, 02:22:39 PM »
Well the joke aint funny no more without the other fellers post.  It got disempeared.

Spud aint with me when I's enjoyin them sub races.  But I is married under the eyes of God so aint no sin in it.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1191 on: July 01, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »
Arcey, I haven't been able to find out anymore about Weber being replaced by Ralph Sheheen on the last 2 TNT race broadcasts.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: July 01, 2009, 04:46:17 PM »
I just noticed that a judge has temporarily left the injunction against Mayfield to allow him to race at Daytona this weekend. He can enter as a late entry. He would not be eligible for championship points.  Now,he has to find out if he can scrape up enough money to get the car to Daytona to the race.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: July 01, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
No Bill Weber in the TNT booth at NHMS UPDATE - to miss final two races: TNT will not have Bill Weber in the booth for the Lenox Industrial Tools 301 today at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, according to a TNT spokesman. “Bill Weber will not be part of TNT's NASCAR coverage of the Cup Series from New Hampshire Motor Speedway this weekend,” said a company statement released by senior vice president Sal Petruzzi. “As this is a private issue, it’s the policy of the company not to discuss personal matters involving our employees.” Ralph Sheheen will step in for Weber on today's telecast.(SceneDaily)(6-28-2009)
UPDATE: Bill Weber will not be part of TNT's NASCAR coverage of the Cup Series for the network’s last two races. Ralph Sheheen will handle play-by-play duties for The Coke Zero 400 in Daytona and the LifeLock.com 400 from Chicagoland. Sheheen will be calling the races alongside analysts Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach in the booth.(TNT)(7-1-2009) Comment here

‘n this’n

Mayfield wins injunction: UPDATE 2: Independence Day came a few days early for suspended Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield, as a federal judge granted him a temporary injunction allowing him to race this weekend. The ruling, made Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Charlotte by senior Judge Graham Mullen, lifted his suspension for failing NASCAR's substance abuse policy and allows him to return as the driver/owner of his #41 team in time for Saturday night's race at Daytona International Speedway. Mullen said in granting the injunction that the irreparable harm appeared to be greater for Mayfield than NASCAR.(ESPN.com)(7-1-2009)
UPDATE: NASCAR chairman Brian France said the organization has no immediate plans to file an appeal, but he didn't rule it out. "We are disappointed, but we respect the judge's ruling," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said in a statement. "This is only a temporary injunction. The legal case continues beyond this point, and we will continue to make our case." (Associated Press)(7-1-2009)
UPDATE 2: ESPN's David Newton reported on Wednesday's NASCAR Now that Mayfield probably does not have time to get his #41 team down to Daytona for this week's race, but that he could be in the #64 for Larry Gunselman.(7-1-2009) Comment here

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: July 01, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »
I don't know if this is really worth it all for Mayfield to drive for maybe just one race and not even in his own car.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: July 01, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
I’d hate ta be the crew chief tryin’ ta get one ah his cars thru tech……

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
Tech could be a little nit picky!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: July 02, 2009, 06:11:28 AM »
Long writes better’n this. Prolly typed it out on the airplane. The judge doesn’t appear ta be overly impressed with NASCAR.

Article from the Virginian Pilot

Scenes from court as Mayfield wins injunction
It's been a crazy day off the track for NASCAR with a federal judge ruling to grant Jeremy Mayfield's request for an injunction to allow him to compete again for the first time in Cup since series officials indefinitely suspended him May 9 for a failed drug test.
I was at court for most of it today (full disclosure -- I had to leave before the judge's verdict to catch a plane to get to Daytona but was there for the arguments for both sides)
It didn't surprise me when I found out the judge granted Mayfield's injunction. I kind of got that sense that the judge was searching for a way to grant it based on the questions he asked lawyers for both sides.
He asked very few questions of Mayfield's lawyer, Bill Diehl. if  you've never seen this guy, he's in his 50s rotund and his this shock of long yellow hair. He has a flair for the dramatics in court and even had some in attendance laughing or snickering at some of his comments during  his 45-minute presentation. i'll get to a few things in a bit.
 Back to the judge. When it was the turn of NASCAR's attorneys to talk, the judge pressed them hard on questions.
 At one point, Helen Maher was addressing the court for NASCAR when judge Graham Mullen asked her about the limitation on the discretion NASCAR had in determing what violates its Substance Abuse Policy. Maher's response wandered a bit and Mullen stopped her and said: "That's not a response. If you're answer is none, step up and own it.''
 Ouch.
 Later, the judge questioned another NASCAR attorney to ask what someone could do in regard to a false positive test. And when Mayfield's lawyer, Diehl, had a chance for rebuttal, the judge asked Diehl what the North Carolina statue said about such a circumstance and Diehl read a portion that he said addressed the matter and stated that showed Mayfield should be allowed to compete again.
 At issue, in a way, was NASCAR's power. The Substance Abuse Policy, some would suggest, is over the top, in not having a list of banned substances and that makes it too open-ended. Diehl argued that in theory NASCAR could stated that drinking too much Coca-Cola or coffee or orange juice could violate the policy.
 After my plane landed in Florida, I called Charles Yesalis, an authority on performance-enhancing drugs. I talked to him last fall when NASCAR announced its revised policy calling for random drug testing, but the big issue that day in September in Dover was that there was no list of banned substances. Yesalis told me that day: "This is really bad. If I were a driver and got caught, I'd hire me a real big-time lawyer  and say, "Make mince-meat of it.''
 So when I talked to Yesalis today he remained adament that NASCAR have a list of banned substances -- Yesalis admits he's not aware of any pro league without such a list other than NASCAR. Yesalis said the sport could put together a list of banned substances and do what many other leagues and add a clause that says "and related substances.''
 It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Substance Abuse Policy, if anything, after this. Remember, this is just an injunction, there's still a whole court case to settle so this isn't over.
 As for Diehl, at one point he addressed the judge and said: "It's July 4th weekend. Somehow that rings true as I talk to you and ask you to correct a wrong. Independence Day for Jeremy ought to be today.''
 Another time, Diehl said that according to the drug test that Mayfield had enough meth in him at the time of the test that Mayfield would have been "either a walking zombie or he's dead.''
 About NASCAR and its actions, Diehl said: "(Mayfield) has been arrested, if you will. He has been tried ... and he has been convicted.''
 As for NASCAR lawyers, here's some of what they said:
 Helen Maher: "If Mr. Mayfield is allowed to race after testing positive for meth, who will protect the public, who will protect the drivers? He tested positive for an illegal drug and endangered the lives of all around him. (at this point, mayfield's wife, sitting in the gallery, shakes her head -- which she did often as Maher talked).
 Later, Maher said: "Mr. Diehl told an interesting story. I was entertained by it, but you come into federal court you need facts ... and he has none.''
 And she said: "NASCAR has a duty ot prevent (Mayfield) from injuring anyone at a NASCAR event.''
 Bill Diehl said on Sirius Speedway -- Dave Moody's show on Sirius Satellite Radio -- that he wasn't sure if Mayfield could be ready to compete at Daytona now that he's eligible. Diehl suggested it might take until next week at Chicagoland Speedway before Mayfield returned. We'll see.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: July 02, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »
I don't think Nasacar is going to take this lying down. It's only the beginning.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1199 on: July 02, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »
Gonna be interestin’. Film at eleven.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com