BEWARE bad buyer/seller

Started by Hoof Hearted, February 26, 2008, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Like they say, no good deed goes unpunished >:(

I tried to help out a new acquaintance and ended up getting taken for the ride of my life! Poor GENERAL (our new member) and I had to escalate (after darn near a hundred emails and excuses and lies) this thing to the point of Federal Mail Fraud charges :-[

The guy uses the alias (on the SASS wire) of civilwarcaptain and he has a "Wanted" ad running over there right now.

Here is the link where it started to go bad:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,19150.0.html

BE WARY
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Buffalow Red

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Tensleep

I doan unnerstand.....

who's tha bad guy? What happened?
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Charlie Bowdre

Quotewho's tha bad guy? What happened?

Me too???
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

The General

The revolver finally showed up after two weeks & several emails just as HH says.  This fella sold me a Uberti 1858 Remmy with an extra pair (New) of ivory grips.  The revolver is in good condition but not only are the grips not new, they are not ivory.  It took, I don't know how many emails to get this person to give some kind of delivery confirmation info & he kept making excuses until HH & myself threatened to file fraud charges with the postal service.

He would send HH a confirmation number & then send me the exact same number.  He sent some useless excuse to HH or myself & then send the exact same excuse to the other.  This continued for over a week until we both got together & told this Mike fella that we were tired of being jerked around & intended to file with the post office.  He sent a couple of emails using some very bad language & stooped to name calling like some spoiled juvenile.

Definitely beware of this seller.  HH can give you more information about his alias at SASS Wire as I do not go to that site.  The man's name is Mike & I'm not sure I should post his last name on here or not.  If the Moderators have no problem with it, I will be glad to post more info.

No problem HH.  This whole nightmare was not your fault by any means.  It's just too bad we have to deal with this kind of person.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Charlie Bowdre

General
Glad that things at least got concluded . It is unfortunate that these things happen but it is also nice to have friends and fellow posters who can and will back our play.

dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Hoof Hearted

WOW

I reread my original post (which I think I better not modify) and just to clarify:

civilwarcaptain is the bad seller/buyer

Hoof Hearted (me) and The General both got taken advantage of and almost lost our money, and surely would have if we hadn't threatened FEDERAL charges. I purchased an 1860 Henry, 2 boxes of Winchester (collector) John Wayne 44-40 ammo and the stock sight and a tang sight. I then helped him (the bad seller) by posting the for sale ad for him which The General purchased the afore mentioned Remington and Ivory grips, for this he thanked me by giving me another box of ammo. I never received the gratus ammo or the stock sight. And of course had the jerk around of my life :-\
STORM #400

The General

I feel bad that you got stiffed on the Collector ammo & the sights there HH.  I kind of had the feeling the grips wouldn't be real ivory because of the price he was asking but, it's the principal here.  When you tell a fella that you are selling one thing & then try to pass off something else, that's just plain wrong.  If you decide you want to pursue this matter, you know I'll back your play 100% my friend.  I still have all communications between the seller & myself, along with the emails you & I shared.  You just say the word.

I also know after all you & I have just gone thru with this individual, it simply may not be worth the hassle either.  Whatever you decide... I'm with you on this.  It's too bad we can't get something posted on this SASS Wire site to let folks know over there as well.

TG

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

The Avocado Kid

If the deal seems too good to be true it usually is....I got ripped off on my first leather rig from a dealer in Tombstone,az(Big Ed)he took my money and never sent the items. This is really bad when it happens to noobs. >:(
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

SFT

It ain't just noobs' that get taken.  I wasted a couple hundred dollars on a leather rig made by one of them high falutin' big wigs that comp or give heavy discounts to the better known of that bunch so they can get a good review.  Then they turn around and ship dried out raw hide with some runny stain on it and call it a custom job.

I got censored for speaking the truth and it took two phone calls to get the derogatory threads about me removed as well.  Just left me high and dry and punished for printing the real facts.

Live and learn.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

The Avocado Kid

When I complained on the sass wire I got e-mails from the Mods...they said this is a no,no and don't do it anymore...The dealer is still taking peoples money and not sending the items...go figure ???
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

SFT

Quote from: The Avocado Kid on February 27, 2008, 02:49:49 AM
When I complained on the sass wire I got e-mails from the Mods...they said this is a no,no and don't do it anymore...The dealer is still taking peoples money and not sending the items...go figure ???

Same here.  I was told that the wire was not the place to air differences or complain about products, but all I said when the makers name came up for recommendation of making a noob a new rig was that I couldn't recommend that maker.  Then I got attacked by one of the high muckity mucks, saying I was a liar and that it was me who was trying to swindle the leather maker out of a custom rig. When I simply replied with the facts,  MY threads get pulled, and I'm being told by the moderator that I started it.  >:(
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Deadeye Don

I think you will all find that the moderators here on CAS city are alot more tolerant of airing personal business deals gone bad.  They wont tolerate that on the SASS wire and perhaps for good reason.  Just because one or two pards had a problem with a seller doesnt mean the seller is "bad".  There are usually two sides to every story with the truth being someplace in between.  Just be happy CAS city allows such threads.   On the SASS wire I think we all know of one leather maker that is protected by the moderators to a fault.   The SASS wire owners can make any rules they want just as the Marshall can make any rules he wants.  Fortunately,  the Marshall has chosen to let free speech rule as long as people are polite here.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Hoof Hearted

There for a minute or two I though ya'll were under the impression that I was saying, " I was a bad seller and had never paid myself"  ;D ;D ;D

This was truly a FIASCOwith the emphasis on the middle syllable :P

If anyone wants or needs the details (like the guys name and or address) to confirm/prevent thy're having future problems, feel free to PM or email me (email address is in the signature line, look down).

Regards
HH
STORM #400

Deadeye Don

I actually think pms is the way to spread the word about bad experiences rather than naming people in open text. 

The General

Quote from: Deadeye Don on February 27, 2008, 07:14:33 AM
I think you will all find that the moderators here on CAS city are alot more tolerant of airing personal business deals gone bad.  They wont tolerate that on the SASS wire and perhaps for good reason.  Just because one or two pards had a problem with a seller doesnt mean the seller is "bad".  There are usually two sides to every story with the truth being someplace in between.  Just be happy CAS city allows such threads.   On the SASS wire I think we all know of one leather maker that is protected by the moderators to a fault.   The SASS wire owners can make any rules they want just as the Marshall can make any rules he wants.  Fortunately,  the Marshall has chosen to let free speech rule as long as people are polite here.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Just because one or two pards had a problem with a seller doesnt mean the seller is "bad".  There are usually two sides to every story with the truth being someplace in between.

I'm not quite sure I get what you're trying to say here my friend?  I explained exactly what took place & it sounds as though you are questioning my word.  When a person makes a statement about his intent & does not go thru with it, I call that a bad deal.  When that same person does it twice with two people in a row, I call that a pattern.  That would be enough for me to shy away from that person.  My only intention here was to warn fellow shooters about dealing with this person, as I'm sure HH only attempted to do.  There is no malice intended in this thread.

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteI explained exactly what took place & it sounds as though you are questioning my word. 

General, I think what Deadeye Don is saying is that he is trying to be OBJECTIVE here as we "tourists" in this matter only have one side of the story. Does that mean you are not telling the truth? Not at all. It's just that most Americans have a sense of fair play as we don't throw people in prison for unsubstantiated stories without further investigation as well as the other side of the story. This forum is NOT a court of law and that is why the SASS Wire deletes threads like these as they almost invariably go "south" with name calling and accustations tossed back & forth. In other words, no one wins. Even eyewitness testimony is supect in almost two thirds of homicide investigations. Every gun related Internet message board that I participate in does not allow threads such as these for the aforementioned reasons and personally I agree, as it's possible at some point to expose a person to libel.

Black Powder

There's enough competition out there that the rule of thumb should be who the recommended sellers are.  Frankly, mediocre customer service is becoming the norm in many sales transactions, so it's really pretty easy to stand out above the crowd.  Agreed that dissenting opinions or experiences that might be not representative can be handled via PM.

I certainly don't object to being given warning as HH & the General have done.  I also think that they expressed themseves with the proper amount of decorum, so as far as I'm concerned, they've provided a useful service.  It's not like it was the General's first post and his side of the story is good enough for me.  If this seller were to miraculously make things right, I'm sure the General would tell us.

I signed on here in November after investigating the SASS wire.  I found the tone and attitude there distasteful.  CASCity has been a real blessing.  Occaisional testiness, but we govern ourselves pretty well and patch things up darn quick.  No axes to grind in evidence here and everybody that's ever responded to me has done so with much consideration and generosity of their valuable time.  Now don't take this as an invitation to change!  ;)

Anyway, CASCity is part of my daily routine because the group is informed, fun-loving, good-natured and respectful.  Not a bad model at all.

Let's keep things positive and when there's a bad experience that one feels is important enough to share for the benefit of others, that's fine.  Do it without completely flaming the person who's not able to respond and we're grownup enough to sort it out ourselves.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on February 27, 2008, 12:11:11 PM
General, I think what Deadeye Don is saying is that he is trying to be OBJECTIVE here as we "tourists" in this matter only have one side of the story. Does that mean you are not telling the truth? Not at all. It's just that most Americans have a sense of fair play as we don't throw people in prison for unsubstantiated stories without further investigation as well as the other side of the story. This forum is NOT a court of law and that is why the SASS Wire deletes threads like these as they almost invariably go "south" with name calling and accustations tossed back & forth. In other words, no one wins. Even eyewitness testimony is supect in almost two thirds of homicide investigations. Every gun related Internet message board that I participate in does not allow threads such as these for the aforementioned reasons and personally I agree, as it's possible at some point to expose a person to libel.

What FCK said.   ;)

Hoof Hearted

Hey I can accomodate! In fact this seller right now is trying to buy some 45 Colt brass and a bullet mould over on the SASS wire :D
My recommendation to all who disagree with being able to post about deals gone bad is this:

Sell this guy something. He's out there trolling for another chance.  Then come back here in 3 or 4 weeks and tell us about your experience. Heck I may be wrong..........maybe he's just a bad seller and a GREAT buyer ;)
STORM #400

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com