Berns-Martin Speed Draw Holster

Started by Cactus Patch Kid, February 25, 2008, 07:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactus Patch Kid

Has anyone else seen the new issue of 'Guns of the Old West?' On page 5 & 60 there is a holster shown that is described as a Berns-Martin Speed Draw. It is shown with a 2" barreled SAA. This looks like the perfect holster for a custom 2" barreled '61 Navy I built. The holster uses a "U" shaped flat spring encircling the cylinder to hold the revolver in the holster. Anyway, my question is where would you get a "U" shaped flat spring like this? Commercially available? Custom made? Material?

Any info / advice appreciated. Thanks.

The Catcus Patch Kid
Raised in the cactus patch by Mother Sagauro.

St. George

Berns-Martin holsters are mid-20th Century designs.

They're well-made and pretty decent concealment rigs - copied by Bianchi and Safariland in the latter 1960's, if I remember correctly.

They were on the 'innovative' side, and I carried a Colt Detective Special in one of their 'upside-down' shoulder holsters for awhile.

It was a fast rig and hid the piece well - but was eventually superseded by better versions.

During that era - most concealment guns were revolvers, and a myriad of different 'speed' rigs were developed and in active use - including a spring-loaded 'clamshell'.

You sometimes see originals at gun shows - with 'collectable' prices attached.

No idea where you'd get the specific spring - any I've seen were made by the guy building the holster.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Judge Roy Bean

D'not  Clint use one in Josey Wales for his colt pocket pistol.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Cactus Patch Kid

Thanks St. George. I knew it wasn't 'Cowboy', I just like the look.

Anyone have any suggestions what to make the clip out of? I don't think you can bend / form spring steel without breaking it. Need something bendable that will hold the "U" shape.

Thanks,

CPK

St. George

If you're familiar witht the old 'Half-Breed' or 'Spring-Clip' shoulder holster style - the spring used is provided by River Junction Trade Co.

www.riverjunction.com

Catalog #6 - stock number SC-5 - Spring Clip - $15.00

Maybe you can build something using that particular spring.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Irish Dave

FWIW, I made this rig using one of the River Junction springs St. G mentions above.
This style dates to the mid-1890s.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

hOWDY Irish Dave

That's one nifty looking holster , you did a great job there pard , and gun is , will I guess you could say, nobody has anything on you pard , thats a Nice Gun. ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Irish Dave

Thanks 10W5S.  :-[

Wasn't fishin' for compliments, honestly, just tryin' to show an example of a period-correct style spring clip shoulder holster made with one of the clips from River Junction (even if it was my first attempt at this style rig.)
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ace Lungger

Dave, I am going to agree with ten wolves, super rig  :), and the gun is Awesome, you did your self good!! Did you make that pistol, or is it a sherrif model with the engraving done.
Thanks for showing it to us, I love looking at stuff like that! I got all my stuff now, and in the next couple days i am going to start on my first holster (wish me luck).
See Ya
Greg
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Irish Dave on February 27, 2008, 08:43:32 PM
Thanks 10W5S.  :-[

Wasn't fishin' for compliments, honestly, just tryin' to show an example of a period-correct style spring clip shoulder holster made with one of the clips from River Junction (even if it was my first attempt at this style rig.)
yOUR wELCOME Irish Dave

Listen Dave, you can't be posting beautiful things like this, without getting compliments Pard, and there well deserved too, seeing gun leather and custom guns like these, is always a pleasure for me........ ;) :D ::) ::) 8) And i'm sure this will be a big help to those who might want to make a rig like this, thanks for sharing.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Irish Dave

Thanks, guys, much obliged.

Ace:
   This pistol started life as a 5.5" SS Vaquero. Did most of the work myself. Had a pro smith reset the front sight and of course, a qualified engraver do the scratchin'. I have since made and fitted a set of white bone grips to replace the faux ivories shown here.
   Good luck on your holster project. You'll get plenty of help and good advice here on this forum.  There are some outstanding craftsmen posting here.

10W5S:
   Having also gone the route of making a spring clip for this kind of rig, I definitely would recommend the River Junction item. For the $15 they charge for the pre-made clip, you can't really afford to go through the grief of making one. The one I made worked out fine. It's for a Smith-style revolver and the River Junction clip wouldn't work for that, but they are first class for a Colt/clone/Vaquero frame.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

That's awesome, Dave. I really like it. I'll have to make one similar to it one of these days.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

And Irish Dave makes a real fine regular shoulder rig as well.  If I knew where my camera was and how to put pictures onto the board, I'd show y'all!  Real comfortable to wear too! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com