Original 1876 Boxed ammo

Started by Buck Stinson, February 24, 2008, 02:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck Stinson

Here are a few pictures of some of the ammo in my collection.  All boxes date from around 1880 to 1905.  These are all full of original factory ammo.  Each photo shows the Winchester box on the top and the UMC on the bottom.  I do not have a UMC in .45-60, so I included two different Winchester labels.  Hope you enjoy.

Adios,
Buck

Grizzly Adams

Wonderful collection, Buck!  Thanks for sharing it with us. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Buck Stinson

Thanks Grizzly.  I love the color in the old ammo box labels.  I sure wish stuff like this was available for the "old" calibers we shoot today.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to reproduce some of these labels because WINCHESTER is still a registered trademark and can't be used without their permission.  I know, because I tried.  It didn't work out very well.

Adios,
Buck

Deadeye Don

Can we get you to take some pictures of the top of the boxes?   :D  Pretty please.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Buck Stinson on February 25, 2008, 11:39:21 AM
Thanks Grizzly.  I love the color in the old ammo box lables.  I sure wish stuff like this was available for the "old" calibers we shoot today.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to reproduce some of these lables because WINCHESTER is still a registered trademark and can't be used without their permission.  I know, because I tried.  It didn't work out very well.

Adios,
Buck

No sense of humor at the corporative level, huh?!! ::)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Buck Stinson

Deadeye,
Well, I don't know how I could say no, considering all the sweet talk.  Which box tops do you want photographed?  I may have time this evening.  Let me know.

Grizzly,
I always like to ask questions before I get too far along on a project.  I like some of the early 1873 boxes and have several that are in mint unopened condtion.  I figured that I would reproduce one of these and offer it on our web site.  So, before I ran with the idea, I called and talked to a woman who worked in the public relations department at the Olin-Matheson Chemical Corporation (Winchester ammunition plant).  I explained my position and the box I wanted to reproduce.  It would be possible, but the up-front fee (to use the Winchester name) would be $90,000 plus 10% of ALL sales.  She said the price was higher on an item such as this, because anything other than Winchester ammo could be stored in the boxes and the liability could fall on their shoulders, should an accident occur.  Needless to say, after about 10 boxes, I scrapped the idea.

Adios,
Buck

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Buck Stinson on February 25, 2008, 05:15:16 PM
Deadeye,
Well, I don't know how I could say no, considering all the sweet talk.  Which box tops do you want photographed?  I may have time this evening.  Let me know.

Grizzly,
I always like to ask questions before I get too far along on a project.  I like some of the early 1873 boxes and have several that are in mint unopened condtion.  I figured that I would reproduce one of these and offer it on our web site.  So, before I ran with the idea, I called and talked to a woman who worked in the public relations department at the Olin-Matheson Chemical Corporation (Winchester ammunition plant).  I explained my position and the box I wanted to reproduce. It would be possible, but the up-front fee (to use the Winchester name) would be $90,000 plus 10% of ALL sales.  She said the price was higher on an item such as this, because anything other than Winchester ammo could be stored in the boxes and the liability could fall on their shoulders, should an accident occur.  Needless to say, after about 10 boxes, I scrapped the idea.

Adios,
Buck

I was wrong, they do have a sense of humor :D  Har! ;D ;D   Dang, I think I need an adult beverage! :)
GAF

Judge Roy Bean

Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Deadeye Don

Buck,  The 45-60 would be fantastic.  Thanks for posting these.  They are hard to come by online.

Buck Stinson

Deadeye,
Here are the photos you asked about.  The first one and the third one are a box and top label that was not included in the original post.  The second and fourth are the top labels of the .45-60 boxes included in the original post.  I have around 200 original boxes of vintage American ammunition.  If there is anything else you might need, let me know.  If I have it, I'll post photos.

Adios,
Buck

Deadeye Don

Excellent Buck.  Thank you for taking the time to do this.  Regards. Deadeye.

w44wcf

Buck,
Nice collection!  Neat! Thank you for sharing. ;D

The book, One Hundred Years Of WINCHESTER Cartridge Boxes
has some nice photos of the '76 cartridge boxes.
http://www.amazon.com/100-Years-Winchester-Cartridge-Boxes/dp/0764325418

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Buck Stinson

w44wcf,
With your "handle" I thought maybe you'd like to see these.

Adios,
Buck

w44wcf

Buck,
Thank you for the pic. Lots of neat history there!

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com