Loading 58 Conversions

Started by Deadlight Lou, February 17, 2008, 10:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadlight Lou

I need the help of this collected brain trust! I'm fairly new to shooting in general, so I'm still feeling my way around.

I have a 58 Remington Conversion that I got through Taylor's. With the heavy back plate it is difficult to tell where the empty chamber is once it is loaded.

The observers at the loading table are starting to get skittish when I load because they can't reliably figure it out either. I've already gotten the stern talking to about having the hammer on a live round (yes, I've made that mistake once already!)

A second question: what purpose does the back plate serve? Can any of it be milled off so the cylinder can be more easily viewed?

Suggestions? Warnings? Mild cajoling?

Thanks!

Deadlight Lou
143rd Fastest Gun East of Mrs. Hip

Hell-Er High Water

What I did for an early R&D conversion cylinder on 1858 revolver, where you can't see any of the cartridge rims, is to make an epoxy dummy cartridge.  You can cast this right in one of the chambers with a well oiled chamber so it is removable when wanted.  I made it flush with the front of the cylinder and painted this end a bright orange so that it was readily visiable.

When loaded with five live rounds and this dummy round if, with the revolver pointed in a safe direction, you can not see this bight orange dummy, you and the loading observer know that it is lined up with the barrel and the hammer.

Be sure that the loading observer knows what he/she should be looking before you start loading the revolver.

This has worked for me with no questions asked.

HHW

Deadlight Lou

I may be seeing one of the local members on Friday who is also owner of the range we shoot at. I will ask his opinion of the dummy round.

Thanks, HHW.

The General

HHW, that is a fantastic idea.  Thanks for the insight.

DL, here is a photograph of my R&D conversion cylinder from Taylor's & Co. for my 58' Uberti Remington.  Does yours not have the little portals in the side like this one to see which chambers are loaded?

"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Hell-Er High Water

General,

No, mine is one of the first ones produced.  Initial production did not have the viewing portals.  As a matter of fact, I had to send my revolver to R&D for initial fitting of the cylinder.  The revolver is a Navy Arms model that I bought in the 1960's and R&D wasn't sure which version would fit it so they wanted to see it first hand.

After the fact, I also had lead in cuts to the bolt stop notches cut as I was having a problem with cylinder over travel when shooting two handed and cocking it fast.  These are just like the ones on modern revolvers and have solved that problem.

HHW

Deadlight Lou

Quote from: The General on February 18, 2008, 09:40:32 AM
DL, here is a photograph of my R&D conversion cylinder from Taylor's & Co. for my 58' Uberti Remington.  Does yours not have the little portals in the side like this one to see which chambers are loaded?

The 58 Remmy I have came from Tayor's already converted, and is not only a different conversion cylinder. It includes a factory installed frame mounted backplate that obscures the rear of the cylinder. There are no ports on mine that I can see.

There's a pic here at the Taylor's site:
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfRemingtonConversion.tpl

Along with the dummy plug idea, I may just have to make sure the loading observer (and myself) are paying close attension to what I'm doing.

Thanks for your continuing ideas gentlemen!

Deadlight Lou
143rd Fastest Gun East of Mrs. Hip

The General

Ah yes, I have seen this conversion before.  That is a nice revolver indeed.  I'm sorry I could not be of more assistance.  I think the idea of the orange dummy might be the way to go.

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

sundance44`s

One of the nice things about the R&D conversion cylinder ..you can take one of the fireing pins out ..and it`s easy to see from the rear where your empty chamber is ....on my cap and ball I take one of the nipples out for an easy empty chamber ....the older the eyes get the tougher it is to see ... :-\
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

The General

Quote from: sundance44`s on February 18, 2008, 05:25:32 PM
One of the nice things about the R&D conversion cylinder ..you can take one of the fireing pins out ..and it`s easy to see from the rear where your empty chamber is ....on my cap and ball I take one of the nipples out for an easy empty chamber ....the older the eyes get the tougher it is to see ... :-\

I am constantly being schooled on this forum & I truly appreciate the insight offered here.  I will have to get use to this 5 chamber load idea as I have always loaded 6 rounds. 

It seems as though them Yankees travel in half dozens & I always like to be prepared, lol.  ;) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com