Remingtons and "Assassination of Jesse James" movie

Started by HappyTrigger, February 17, 2008, 12:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTrigger

Just watched the DVD of the Brad Pitt movie "Assassination of Jesse James....." which had some good shots of Remington's, particularly of a beautiful nickel-plated '75. I don't remember who held it but it wasn't Jesse. His brother Frank favored '75s. Jesse seemed to carry a variety of guns, including '73 Colts and S&W Schofields. There were some great close-ups of the Schofield he gave to Bob Ford in a presentation case -- the gun that Ford used to kill James. If I remember right, there is some controversy as to whether the killing gun was a Schofield or a 1860 Colt Army conversion.

Anyway, it's a good movie -- a little strange -- but good. There need to be more good Western movies being produced.

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteThere were some great close-ups of the Schofield he gave to Bob Ford in a presentation case -- the gun that Ford used to kill James.

I don't believe that was a Schofield that was in the box. It appeared to be a New Model No. 3 which was introduced in 1878.

The General

This is copied from a website on the film "The Assassination of Jesse James".

Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford ... who didn't seem to give much deep thought to anything he ever did. ... well as a similar Schofield Model 3 given by Jesse James to Robert Ford.

Here is another copied from a different website.

... was packed by Frank and Jesse James, Bob and Cole ... Gene Hackman) with, "For what you did ... It's also a nickel plated Schofield that Jesse gifts Bob Ford (Casey ...
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

sundance44`s

I rented this one last weekend on paid per view ...long movie , felll asleep after I finished the popcorn ...bad habbit I`m developeing ..It is a long movie ..
I did watch some GunSmoke reruns the next morning ...always good ..LOL ;D
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Rebel Dave

I thought it was a bad movie, it's  not worth buying the DVD or renting.
I have the DVD, if some one Wants it at $20.00 Shipped, I'll send it to ya.

Rebel Dave

The General

Quote from: Rebel Dave on February 17, 2008, 03:01:18 PM

Rebel Dave

Well my friend, I don't know that I would give bad reviews on the film & then try to sell it in the same paragraph, lol.

Good luck with that.

TG

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: The General on February 17, 2008, 04:24:22 PM
Well my friend, I don't know that I would give bad reviews on the film & then try to sell it in the same paragraph, lol.

Good luck with that.

TG

Good advice, mi amigo!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

HappyTrigger

My wife thinks I'm nuts for watching Westerns on DVD and then stopping, rewinding, and freezing on gun scenes. I'm pleased that most modern Westerns take great care to achieve historical accuracy, down to exact gun models.

If anyone has the book "The Peacemakers - Arms and Adventure in the American West" by R.L. Wilson, there are some outstanding photographs around pages 170-172 of the '75 Remingtons actually used by Frank and Jesse James, now in museums. Frank's is nickel-plated with a lanyard ring, and Jesse's is patina colored, also with lanyard ring. Both are in excellent condition. Interestingly, there's a picture of Bob Ford holding a nickel-plated '73 Colt SAA that he swore by affidavit was the gun he shot Jesse with. In the movie, it was a S&W Schofield, which Jesse is known to have given to Bob, but maybe not the gun Bob used to shoot Jesse.

Anyway, this is just another reason for my fascination with Remmies. I'd sure like to think that I could have one of the new USFA '75's when they come out, if I could justify the high price. I like the fact that they will be historically accurate and more or less a Remington product.

The Avocado Kid

Quote from: Rebel Dave on February 17, 2008, 03:01:18 PM

Rebel Dave
Rebel Dave....I don't want to say this BUT Best buy is selling it new for $14 weird...must be a real turkey....the reviews seem to run 3 to 1 to the neg. Too bad.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Skinny Preacher 66418

I saw it this weekend. It got better towards the end. Very dreary, but that was the tone I reckon. It wasn't about his glory days, but about his downward spiral.

Yup, plenty of Remmies in the flick.  ;D
Smoke em if ya got em.

Steel Horse Bailey

Hey - no matter how much it may lack compared to really fine Westerns, it'll beat the pants off of "Hip-Hop Gangsta Rappers III"  ANY day!  ;D

I made that title up ... but y'all know whut I mean!  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

The General

Deadeye Don

I am still waiting to get it from Netflix.   It must be pretty poplular as there is still a long wait designation for it.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Deadeye Don on March 04, 2008, 05:26:21 PM
I am still waiting to get it from Netflix.   It must be pretty poplular as there is still a long wait designation for it.

Which one, Don? 

"Hip-Hop Gangsta Rappers III":o

;) ;) ;) ;) ;D

"Never Mind!"  (said in my very best Miss Emily Litella voice.)

The General

Same thing at the local video store.  I'll just have to wait until the entire county views it before I try to pick it up.

The Avocado Kid

No wait at best buy and it's $14
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Deadeye Don

Quote from: The Avocado Kid on March 04, 2008, 10:19:19 PM

I want to see if I like it first.  If I do then I will get it in Bluray which is a tad bit more money.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Skinny Preacher 66418

Quote from: The Avocado Kid on March 04, 2008, 10:19:19 PM

I paid $21 at Circuit City.

:o I got hosed.

I need to watch it again. Lot of things I didn't understand the first way through.
Smoke em if ya got em.

The Avocado Kid

Quote from: Deadeye Don on March 05, 2008, 10:08:34 AM
I want to see if I like it first.  If I do then I will get it in Bluray which is a tad bit more money.
I really want to like this film but I have the feeling it's gonna suck. ::) Can you believe it this film never played in Phoenix,az and as you all know Phoenix is no small city....I just don't get it....played in Tucson for one week then they pulled it.

Steel Horse Bailey

Well, Brad Pitt prob'ly didn't have a nude scene, so no women wanted to see it ...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing it.  And that $14 Circuit City price probably reflects its' popularity ... or lack.  And that is in MY favor, as I'm likely to buy it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com