Building My Rig (as posted on the wire)

Started by Hank Rugerman, February 15, 2008, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Rugerman

If you get to thinking your important..try ordering someone elses dog around!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Hank  :o :o ::) ::)

I don't know why I was thinking you were a greenhorn,(LOL) Pard you're far from being a greenhorn, by the way what did that horn come off of ?, anyway my hats off to ya pard BEAUTIFUL JOB all around, your knife is awsome, and the leather work the same , looks like you've been doing this for a while , I'll look forward to seeing more from you. ;) :D ;D

NICCCCCE WORK :o ::) 8)
                                        tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
I know , I just said my howdy do'sss to you at Vaquero Town, I never forget a face ???
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Hank Rugerman

Thanks...Ten Wolves..I appreciate the comments...

Well I guess I could be called a Greenhorn when it comes to playing the SASS game...but I've been around a while making knives.

Lately I've got the fever for the cowboy action..and have decided to move on with it.

The rig is my own design...there are some new things I tried, and I think it worked out pretty decent.

I'll be building a crossdraw pretty soon as well as my cuffs and spur leathers, and badge wallet and shooting strips and....well I think you get the picture.. ;) ;) ;D

I'll catch you around Vaquero Town as well...I like that site...just looks like it needs a little more TLC from other shooters.. ::)

Oh and the horn...this is a no kidder...

47 yard archery shot from a tree into a gully. Lacked 1/4" from making the Texas record books...Auodad Sheep..weighed in at 275 pounds and smelled like... ::) :o

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, pard. It's a good design. That should do the trick nicely. Nice touch with the spots. I'm looking forward to seeing the crossdraw.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy Hank
Very nice job on the rig. I love the knife.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Hank Rugerman on February 15, 2008, 10:14:52 PM
Thanks...Ten Wolves..I appreciate the comments...

Well I guess I could be called a Greenhorn when it comes to playing the SASS game...but I've been around a while making knives.

Lately I've got the fever for the cowboy action..and have decided to move on with it.

The rig is my own design...there are some new things I tried, and I think it worked out pretty decent.

I'll be building a crossdraw pretty soon as well as my cuffs and spur leathers, and badge wallet and shooting strips and....well I think you get the picture.. ;) ;) ;D

I'll catch you around Vaquero Town as well...I like that site...just looks like it needs a little more TLC from other shooters.. ::)

Oh and the horn...this is a no kidder...

47 yard archery shot from a tree into a gully. Lacked 1/4" from making the Texas record books...Auodad Sheep..weighed in at 275 pounds and smelled like... ::) :o

Howdy Hank , again (LOL)

Will I'd say you're a very talented, young pard, not to mention a dang good shot with a bow , no what thats like , use to make my own arrows , and even made a recurve bow back ,it seems like a hundred years ago , where I lived you could only hunt with a bow, did that back in 1954 to about 1961,I started in archery when I was nine years old,  lots of fun archery, and your right , sheep do stink, no doubt about it.

It's nice having you with us Pard , and you're right, V-town just needs more pards jumping in and posting , instead of just passing through, TALK TO YOU LATER :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Buffalo

Hank Rugerman

Thanks for all the comments..picked up my other RNV today..so the crossdraw...aint far behind...Once I "get er done" I'll post it up.. :)

Springfield Slim

Hank: You asked, so here are a few nitpicks from me. Nice rig over all, you seem to have a steady had with the tooling, very consistant. But if it was my rig, which it ain't, there are some things I would have done different. Ok, first off, on the billet and the chappe, where it is sewn on you cut across the width of the leather.  This can weaken the leather as it has a bunch of holes all in a row. Also I would have run the tooling all the way to the end of the billet instead of stopping at the sewn line. Second, I would have liked to see the bottom of the holster flare in a little at the bottom instead of just ending. Looks better to me, but that is just a matter of taste. On the loop for the holster, i would have sewn all the way across instead of stopping short of the edges. Looks better(to me) and would have been a little stronger. And the only thing else that I would do different is the sewing spacing for the holster and the lining is different than the spacing for the bullet loop holder. Just throws it off a bit for me. Like I said, just nitpicking. I'm sure if I put a pic of one of my holsters up here you guys could find all kinds of ways to do it different.
      I have never seen a bullet loop setup like yours, usually I just see the loops built into the belt itself. Any particular reason you did it this way? I'm not a fan of extra sewing myself, too lazy. I generally don't line my belts either, same reason, too much work.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Hank Rugerman

Hey Slim..you aint hurt my feelings none.. ;)

This was a second attempt at building a rig..so there's plenty to learn...

I can tell you I had some specifics in mind when building this.

1. I was looking for a rig that was traditional in design but had a saturday matinee feel. I guess if I called anything it was designed on a cross between a duke rig and a roy rogers type...That's why I went with the opposing light thread, dark dye and a few sparklies...

2. I set the loops off of the belt..less scratching...and the shell sets well against the top shoulder of the leather

3. Personally I just like a belt that has a liner...the sewing took quite a while becuase it's all double stitch by hand..

Anyway...It don't get any better unless you know how to make it that way..That's why I posted it up...thanks for taking a real close look at it...believe me I do... ;)

Post up some pics of yours..I'd like to see

Springfield Slim

Well, I'll tell ya, yours looks a hell of a lot better than my first attempts. I still have them but I keep them stashed away from prying eyes as I would be embarrassed to show them to anyone! I personally like money belts as they kinda act like lined belts as far as staying put but I find them more comfortable, but it still is a lot of hand sewing. I will post one pic of one of my favorite holsters, and you can pick on it, just to be fair! I am always open to suggestions, I sure don't know it all. I learn mostly by doing and reading and looking at other rigs. Unfortunately I never had any knid of mentor, so I still do some things the hard way as I don't know no betta.

Springfield Slim

OK, I'll start. I dislike the bottom of the holster, it isn't cut flat across the bottom. I have adjusted my pattern so the next one isn't like that. Although when my friend wears this rig it really isn't noticeable, but I see it in the pics.

Hank Rugerman

Now..see I must just be wierd....The angle cut on the end just gives it some character... ;)

from what I can tell I'd be proud to strap it on a belt...no issues with me..good job... :)

thanks for posting

Hank Rugerman

I do have a question though....where did you get, or where do you get the makers stamp.....I'd like to start signing my stuff the right way.. ;)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Hank

This is the company Cowboy WC uses , they really do nice work, I know , I 've seen WC's, and another one is Hide Crafters, and I know there are more, but these seem to be popular

tEN wOLVES
                          http://greyghostgraphics.com/

http://www.hidecrafters.com/

Hank Rugerman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com