.56/50 Spencer Carbine at SASS Match

Started by Grapeshot, February 12, 2008, 11:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grapeshot

Well, another year has past and in a month or two the SASS/Cowboy Action Shooting Season will begin.  I have decided that I will shoot my Spencer Carbine this year along with my pair of 1st Model Colt Dragoons.

Anyone out there have any suggestions about how to reload on the clock.  My thinking is to pull the additional rounds out of my pouch/cartridge box and load them directly into the chamber as I finish off the ones in the magazine.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Deadeye Don

I would just put them in my vest pocket and reach for them.  That seems to work well for shot gun shells.   Man you are going to get mucho style points!!!
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Drydock

I use a Dwyer pouch for those single shot reloads, and yes, that is the way to do it.  I'm thinking of adding 3 loops to the outside flap of the pouch just for those reloads.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Hell-Er High Water

I modified my leather shotgun cartridge belt and added loops for the 50-70 that I use in the Plainsman event.  These loops also hold the 56-50 and make loading the Spencer as a single shot for the last few rounds of a scenario a snap.  Another option that you might consider.

HHW

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteI'm thinking of adding 3 loops to the outside flap of the pouch just for those reloads.

GAMER!!!  ;D :D ;)

Rancid Roy

Grapeshot,

I went to Cabelas online and they sell a 6 round cartidge slide for the .500 S&W. I soaked it in water and stretched the loops with oiled 56/50 brass. It will stretch them to them max but it worked. They are not entirely period correct but arguably "possible" for the time period. I dyed them black [I bought two].

I fire the seven in the weapon and then load from the slides. Also I cock the hammer from the shoulder with my right small finger [I am right handed with carbine in right shoulder] bringing the hammer all the way to full cock, drop the action, load the cartridge, close the action and fire.

The slides are mounted on the left side of my belt and fed with the left hand.

Regards, RR.
Ne'er Do Well    Chicken Thief

Back Shooter     Ambush Expert

"You hold'em and I'll shoot'em."

GAF 104 Scout and Scoundrel

Tuolumne Lawman

Like Sgt. Eli, I use an 1876 Dyer carbine pouch.  It is wool lined and will hold the rounds loose.  I shoot 7, leave the action open after the 7th, take the tube out and insert three in the mag, put the tube back in, close the action, and blaze away!  That's about a gamer as I can get with Kirst Konverters, a 56-50 Spencer, and a side hammer TNN!

If you look in Shorgun News, Pacific Canvas and Leather advertises them, and Cabelas sometimes has them.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

panhead pete

Ahh, Tuolumne, You warm my heart, SIr!!!  I load all three through the tube as well.  I think if you are really practiced, single loading may be faster, but for me the tube in my mouth and droppin' em in works great!!  I generally lever the action before cocking the hammer.  I have read both ways of shooting the mighty Spencer.

Kind Regards,

Panhead
PS You should have seen the 56-50's rock the bowling pins on one of our "jus fer fun" stages!!  The gamers really looked weak after all 4 of us BP shooters rocked the pins!!

Tuolumne Lawman

I have been known to knock some of the gamer friendly steel right off their stands with my Spencer!  I explain it is mertely a 350 grain, .515 bullet with 40 grains (volume) 777 behind it!

I have even been asked by folks shooting 4th generation short stroke .38 SPl 1866s with mouse fart loads "Why would you want to shoot a gun like that and intentionally be so slow"  I generally respond"If you have to ask, you would never understand, even if I told you!" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Tuolumne Lawman

PS  If I really feel the need to shoot something fast, I can salways hoot my AK, AR, or M1 carbine!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

panhead pete

TOUCHE"

I usually shoot the Spencer on two or three stages and the Uberti 73 Winchester  on the other two or three.  I fill my loads with as much 2F as I can.  Most people are very intrigued when they see the Spencer.  EVERY time I shoot it, I'll have some Pard tell me how cool it was to watch that rifle sing!!  I think some are jealous that they can not "let go" of the timer thing and shoot something as cool as the Spencer.  To me it is more about history than how quickly I can hit the steel.  All in all I can hit the steel pretty fast as well!!  I use 51 Navy conversions for side arms and a hammer double as well.  I really want to find a 28-30 inch hammer double.  That would be authentic!!!

Best,
Panhead

Tuolumne Lawman

As I no longer have a Henry or Smith, my Taylor's 56-50 Spencer is my only CAS or CW re-enacting rifle.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Two Flints

T.L.,

What happened to the Smith?  You seemed to be pretty excited about having one not too long ago  ??? ??? ???

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Tuolumne Lawman

Hell R High water has it now.  For both Cavalry units I re-enact with, the either the Smith or the Spencer is correct, so I thinned my stable down and kept the Spencer (my favorite!)

I'll send you an Email
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Grizzle Bear

I found some brass tubing big enough to hold .56-50 rounds.  Soldered a plug in one end, and got some rubber stoppers for the other end.  These hold a full seven rounds, but have thought of making some 3 rounders as well.

If the other rifle shooters have to do a reload as well, I can just about keep up with them.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Bead Swinger

Hmmm... I recycled my CW-era pistol pouch, and dropped a chunk of 1x2 wood into it so that the 12-Ga shells are easily reached.  Then I stuck three 56-56's into the leather flap on the inside. It worked pretty well.   wear the whole thing on the right, about where a belly-box goes, as I'm too right-handed to load properly with my left hand. :(

This 'flap' is really an extra piece of leather on the inside of the front face of the pouch. I'm not quite sure why this was there in the original, but I'm not complaining.

I've been single-shooting it, but I think I'll try the tube the next time. 'sound's easier. 8) 'course I get to wait for the snow to clear before shooting season starts, since that darned varmit saw his shadow.

If you're really interested, you can watch me fumble with the whole sheebang in the video I posted back in October.
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Steel-eye Steve

Quote from: Grizzle Bear on February 23, 2008, 08:26:20 PM
I found some brass tubing big enough to hold .56-50 rounds.  Soldered a plug in one end, and got some rubber stoppers for the other end.  These hold a full seven rounds, but have thought of making some 3 rounders as well.

If the other rifle shooters have to do a reload as well, I can just about keep up with them.

Grizzle Bear

I carry a tube sized for three .45SW rounds in a Dyer box.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Steel-eye Steve

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on February 15, 2008, 10:15:53 PM
Hell R High water has it now.  For both Cavalry units I re-enact with, the either the Smith or the Spencer is correct, so I thinned my stable down and kept the Spencer (my favorite!)

I'll send you an Email

TL,
What unit are you with now?
www.1stwisconsincav.org

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

I am with two cav units.  The 12th Illinois, dismounted, and the 11th mounted.  Centered in the Green, Calhoun, and Jersey Counties.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Steel-eye Steve

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on March 12, 2008, 05:06:05 PM
Howdy,

I am with two cav units.  The 12th Illinois, dismounted, and the 11th mounted.  Centered in the Green, Calhoun, and Jersey Counties.

I hope to ride with you some day!
www.1stwisconsincav.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com