White Grips

Started by The General, February 11, 2008, 04:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

I was wondering where a gentleman could get him a fine pair of those white grips I have seen in the Photo Gallery on the SCORRS website?  Those sure do dress up a Remington or Clone.

I have also contacted (via email) Papa Bear to join the ranks of your fine organization & as soon as I receive confirmation, I would like to purchase one of those nice nickel badges.

Thank you in advance for your insight.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Trap

Contact Gripmaker here on CasCity.     jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Bull Schmitt

Howdy General,

Welcome to SCORRS!! I have just added you to the roster. Papa Bear has been incognito for awhile so I am taking care of the new members.

You are now entitled to all the rights and priviledges. If you find out what they let the rest of know! ;D

Bull Schmitt

SCORRS VP and Webmaster
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

The General

Commander,  I thank you kindly Sir & will do my best to make the organization proud.

Also Trap, I thank you as well for the insight & will attempt to make contact with Gripmaker.

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Deadeye Don

I have always found the white grips to look way too much like the plastic they are.  You might consider the slightly aged grips such as offered by Tru Ivory.  They look much more like real ivory grips.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

River City John

Just to add,- I have a pair of Gripmaker faux ivory on my 63' Remington Navy and they were stained down a little by immersing them in a strongly brewed coffee bath for several days. This was after they were sanded to final shape and some hint of checking added with a penknife. I pulled them out of the bath once each day to check their progress in sunlight. This was for about three-four days to get the hint of yellowing I wanted.
Everytime I clean the revolver after shooting I make sure to hit the grips with a dirty patch.
www.gripmaker.com
Gripmaker's panels do take on a subtle stain, and you can't beat his prices and customer service. Plus every once in a while he'll even pray for you. That's a winning combination all around!
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

The General

Once again some good insight from my fellow BP shooters.  DD, you are correct about the plastic look as I do remember a pair I had some years back on a Pietta Remmy I had & they did look terrible.  I like that coffee idea as well & will definitely look into Tru Ivory.  Do they have an actual website?

Thanks again in advance.

Deadeye Don

There are more than several companies that carry Tru Ivory grips.  Here is one.  They are not cheap, but I think they look really good.  I have the slightly aged ones on my USFA SAA.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=25427&title=TRU%20IVORY~%20COWBOY%20GRIPS
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Fox Creek Kid

A faster way to age grips is to use Fiebing's Medium Brown Leather Dye. Be sure & pour a little into a cup & dilute with rubbing alcohol until you get the color you want & then seal with either Truoil or Turtle Wax.

Curley Cole

Sir
Take a look  at my photo page: http://sdough.smugmug.com
look in the gallery "art" and a subgallery "just for fun"
there is a picture of my Remingtion with grips made by TipiCreeper at Wildlife and wonders web site. (you can find him here:

http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.com/

his grips fit very good and are very reasonable.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

The General

Thank you for sharing the website Curley.  I couldn't locate grips for the Uberti 58' Remington?

Curley Cole

My apologys. I didn't realize the pix wasn't on the web site....it is now...and here it is too...
the guy makes very good grips These were only $40 a pair.
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

The General

Those are some nice grips indeed Curley but, that doesn't look like an 1858 Remington (Uberti) to me, lol.  Thanks again for your insight just the same.

Curley Cole

Well, yer initial post didn't indicate you were lookin only fer a '58, and the grips are close....they are good grips for the price.
good shootin
curley

The Cowboys
dammit gang

Fox Creek Kid

C.C., what are those fine lookin' grips made of?  ???

louisc

howdy pardners, wondering if anybody heard of the Pearlite white grips and if so how do they look on a case heardened frame. I think the Ivory is to close to fake looking for me . I first saw them on a Berretta with the pearl grips and I liiked it then I found out thast the blue barrel changed color when heated up so I gave up on the grips till now thanks pards

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

General, I have dealt with Larry/Gripmaker.  Fast service and a quality product.  I bought the Stag grips for my 1875.  One thing about grips - they ain't a standard size from gun to gun.  With every Gripmaker's product he gives a VERY thorough "How-To" set of directions AND an extra, practice piece, so you can experiment before ya carve up the grips you bought.  My problem is interesting.  The grips look awesome, but there is NO way they can be made to fit.  The angle is wrong and there's not enough extra material in the right places to use it.  Sounds like a problem, right?  Wrong.  I called Larry (he is VERY busy on weekends and goes to a LOT of shoots/shows/conventions.  I met him at the 2006 NCOWS Convention) to see what I needed to do to return them for credit.  He offered a complete refund (postage/S&H is less than $1.50, so I didn't even bother about that) OR I could send him a tracing of MY frame, and he'd custom make one that will fit!  That's pretty good customer service, if you ask me - specially at his prices.  (My Stag were $70, if I remember.) 

I have NO explanation why MY Uberti 1875 gripframe is so different than any other Uberti 1875 - except that mine is an old, 4 digit serial#, so they may have changed the design since when they introduced them in the early 1970s.  I know of ONE change they made, and I'll forever wonder why - the ORIGINAL Uberti Remingtons had the cylinder pin release out on the end of the ejector tube LIKE THE ORIGINAL design.  I suppose they made the change because the cross-pin release is a BIT more convenient.  Bah-humbug!

As a side note, I haven't yet done the grip tracing of my gun yet, so I don't yet have a happy ending to my tale, but I thought I'd include this as a "testimonial."  I've seen the Wildlife site and their grips look very good, too - especially for the price.

Gripmaker: http://www.gripmaker.com/

Western and Wildlife Wonders: http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.com/shop/catalog/

Adios!

PS - Curly Cole, your site is Great with good pictures.  I sure like the SmugMug way of hosting, too.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Long Johns Wolf

Second the motion regarding the excellent service of Larry the Gripmaker: he does the tracing service even transatlantic so to speak, to Germany.
I did some 20 of his grips on Colt clones in SAA, 1860, OT and conversion configuration, even a S&W Russian and a Remington 75, since 1989.
After a lot of trial and error (and free of charge replacements) because he and me wrongly assumed for some time standardized grip measurements of the clones of various manufacturers we go the tracing route together and that works pretty nice for him and me.
I can highly recomment Larry for the quality of his grips and his understanding service. And I like carving and sanding the material, can work the grips even with my 2 left hands.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Marshal Will Wingam

I also agree with Gripmaker's grips. They're just about indestructible and yellow with age like ivory or bone. Here's a photo of one of my pistols showing the grip new and then again after a couple years.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Curley Cole

http://www.westernandwildlifewonders.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_28

FoxCreek

they are epoxy resin and fiberglass and the color is bonded thru...according to TipiCreeper at the above website. I usually get my grips from Boone Traders in Washington, but he doesn't do a Remington, so went here, after having a disasterous experience on ebay...(the uncured resin made me so sick I was off work for 3 weeks from polishing it) anyways these are excellent grips and the price is right...
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com