Leather Sheath with brass button retention

Started by Skinny Preacher 66418, February 11, 2008, 04:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinny Preacher 66418

What is the name for the style sheaths that are simply tucked into your gun belt, and the brass fixture keeps it from slipping down? History of the style?

Like this:

Smoke em if ya got em.

Black Powder

I thought they were called frogs, or maybe that is the belt attachment that the sheath hooks onto.  That's the nomenclature used for the bayonet and scabbarrd of the Enfield rifle musket.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Slowhand Bob

I have an Ames reproduction knife and it is made like yours.  It came with a 'frog' attachment, which is simlpy a belt strap that buttons to the sheath.  I know nothing concerning the history of these but I wouldnt be surprised if information will be forthcoming.  I'll be watching also.

Skinny Preacher 66418

Ah, so the stud connected to a belt attachment mount. I guess the pics I've seen of it tucked into a belt was improvised. The knife is not mine, but I am looking to build a similar sheath for a knife I'm building.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Dr. Bob

A military option can be found on the Blockade Runner site page 11and look at the Enfield Bayonet Frog.  This is how bayonets and EM artillery short swords.  This is one solution.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Black Powder

I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Skinny Preacher 66418

Then I am mistaken that this was a knife sheath design. Thanks for the replies.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Slowhand Bob

Preacher, I think that is the same knife and sheath that shows up as part of a full page add in the latest Cowboy Chronical and they do indeed picture it on a belt as you describe.

Skinny Preacher 66418

I'm almost done with the knife, just need to add grip panels...and get the sheath started.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Silver_Rings

Neat knife.  I like the spear point style or dagger style.  ;D

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Skinny Preacher 66418

Quote from: Silver_Rings on February 15, 2008, 12:54:04 PM
Neat knife.  I like the spear point style or dagger style.  ;D

SR

It is definatly a fightin knife. It is my first knife build. Blade is 9"; overall 14". It is modeled after one I saw in a picture, except that one had a brass guard and the blade actually got narrower just before the guard. I'm anxious to see how it turns out with grips added. Right now it looks like a short sword.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Skinny Preacher 66418

Alright, I'm not sure I want the sheath style I mentioned above. Any suggestions for a blade of this type with finger guard.

Here are pics as of today, more staining and sealing of grips will be done.

Smoke em if ya got em.

ChuckBurrows

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com