Author Topic: Why do OT's shoot so well?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Dead Eye Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why do OT's shoot so well?
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
I don't have one yet but everything I read here indicates that OT's shoot POA quite well.  Can someone explain why that would be?  As I said I really want one and am looking for the advantages.

Thanks

DB

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Re: Why do OT's shoot so well?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »
I always figguered it was the way they's balanced.  Barrel length makes some difference, that's why I've always perferred the 5-1/2s.  Also, the way the cylinder is mounted on a central retaining pin instead of a drop out or break top set up may play a part.  I never really thought much on this question and may be full af beans--I'd love to hear what other have to say.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
Not sure either, balance has some to do with it, and maybe that both sights are on the barrel, they can't get out of alignment.  The guns seem to shoot very tight groups, better than my SAA types.  I can also cut cloverleafs with my Uberti Navies with R&D or Kirst cylinders in them.  (can't do it at a match, but can when it doesn't matter...)
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:29:09 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »
BECAUSE!!  And that's the most scientific answer I can come up with.  I build CAS guns for competition and test fire every one before delivery.  I shoot Open Tops and Conversions for competition as I shoot Gunfighter.  I've had 6 sets of Rugers and never could shoot a Ruger well.  I can shoot the SAA, and copies, just not real well.
I couldn't tell you what it is in a scientifically meaningful way, it's just when the 1851 (the Open Top came from it) was designed and built it was "right."  Feels right in the hand, points right and balances right.  I prefer short barrels, so cut mine to the ejector rod housing.  The balance is right.  By the same token, the balance is right even with the 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 or even the 8 inch barrels.  Go figure.  I can really shoot the '51 based guns and the best answer I can come up with is "BECAUSE."
So I work on everything, but I shoot Open Tops and Conversions. 

Coffinmaker

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »
That's probaly the best answer of them all Coffin.  Even my choice of 5.5's is unscientific at heart.  I figgured, 4-5/8's (down to the ejection rod) drew better, 7.5's should naturaly have a slim bit better accuracy, so I chose a long time ago to split the difference. 
     "BECAUSE" makes sense to me.

Leo 

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline willyboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »
They hit where they are pointed because we tend to ''download'' for the opentop.Less recoil = more accuracy.This is the same principle that started the trend to the .38. You may not knock 'em over,but you can sure ''dot thier eyes''!

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:13 PM »
The rear sight is farther forward allowing a clearer focal plane.  ;)  If it happens to be a '51 Navy/SAA size grip frame all the better if you have smaller hands. Elmer Keith said the best grip frame invented was the original Colt Dragoon size which is a tad larger than a SAA and smaller than an Army grip frame. I think he's right.

Offline willyboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »
He was right on a great many things.I just gave one of my best friends ''Sixguns'',by Kieth.AFTER I read it again,of course.Man,what a great book.Hell,he was THERE.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:27:58 AM »
Now that I think on it more, the gutter rear sight may have a lot to do with as well, if'n all the pistols we're talkin about have them.  More modern sixers an even older blackhawks don't.      
     Haven't handled a '51 (sure would love to).

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »
Oops,
     It was another board and not this one (simalar topic), but the downloading and the .38 compared to .357 is a definite fact Willy.  They'll both blow your ears out, but the grouping proves your point to a tee. 

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
It sure is not the finely made target sights! :D 

I think it is because they just point naturally.  "Let the force be with you," and it will! ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Pistolero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:43:31 AM »
Hello all,
I think it is a combination of the grip, barrel length, and weight and balance. I have never shot originals. But over the years I have owned several (and shot extensively) repro Colt 1860 .44 Armies and '58 Rem .44s, and one Colt 51 Navy in .44. The Rems seemed more accurate using the sights, but by far to me the most naturally accurate, best balanced and natural pointing pistol was the Colt .51 Navy in .44 (never shot a .36). You did not have to aim. Just hold it out at or a tad above waist level and just point and shoot. It was amazingly accurate that way. I figured it was due to its exceptional balance and "feel" in the hand and its natural pointing abilities.  That is my take on the subject.

For what it is worth I used to have an 1875 Remington in .38/.357 and it was more accurate by far using .38 Special all lead SWC. One day I shot at some 20 ounce coke bottles at like 30 yards. Hit all around it with the .357s but could not seem to hit them but once evey so many shots.  I switched to a box of .38 Specials with all lead SWC bulletts. Man, I knocked the red cap off those bottles right and left. Much more accurate to me in .38 special. 
Later,
Pistolero
Alabama   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com