Authentic looking 1 Piece, Original style wood grips: who does the best?

Started by Walker 1847, January 29, 2008, 01:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker 1847

Have a BP frame gunslinger, like to find who does the awesome original looking 1 piece wood grips.
Like on the Custer replica.  Like to go directly to the source, like you'd go to Tru-Ivory directly for ivory type grips rather than through USFA.
Gracias amigos.
"Its hard to stop a man who's in the right and keeps on comin!"

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Walker,
Give Paul Persinger in El Paso a try.  His prices are good and his turn around time is excellent.  I have a couple of sets of one piece Ivory grips that he has made for me and his work is top notch.  Unlike many grip makers who want the whole gun, Paul only needs the grip frame (backstrap and trigger guard) in order to make a perfect fit.  No web site - his phone number is (915)821-7541.
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Fox Creek Kid

Capt., I am going to respectfully disagree here. They need the whole gun to do a perfect fit as there are minor variations gun to gun. I have a friend who fits grips and he is adamant about this. Some grip makers may have a "universal" frame but that will not insure a hairline fit on all guns. Granted, it ain't cheap to ship the entire gun but in my experiences it's the best way to get a PERECT fit. Last Sunday I saw a buddy's Ruger that had Tru Ivory grips and I don't know who fit them but they look like my nephew's high school shop project. Your mileage may vary.

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Kid,
There may be some merit to what you say but I have several sets of one piece grips (Ivory and walnut) that Persinger has made for me and all of them fit perfectly.  I have also handled numerous other guns that he has made grips for and have never found fault with his work.  He is good enough at it that Bowen Classic Arms uses him.  Google his name and you will find several sites with pictures of his work.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Doc Sunrise

Paul is top notch, and somehow he makes it work with just the grip handles.  I have a few guns with grips done by him and I am very impressed.

Walker 1847

Thanks for the info on Paul Persinger in El Paso, I will give him a call. 
But who does the 1 piece wood grips for USFA, or are they done in-house?

SAAJim

Walker,
I bought some walnut grip kits for my Rodeos from Don Collins - http://www.collinscraftgrips.com - that are very nice. He also has fitted one piece fancy walnut grips. He's very responsive to emails and sent my kits as soon as he got my payment. Email him with your request; I'm sure he can create the grips you want.

Jim

Fox Creek Kid

Doc Sunrise

Walker 1847,

The Walnut One Piece Grips and two piece grips are done in house.  I saw the scrap pile and the different stages of finishing. 

Walker 1847

Thanks Doc, that at least answers that question..too bad though, as the USFA 1 piece wood grips look awesome from the factory!
just trying to find that aged 1 piece wood look for my Gunslinger.
Walker

Walker 1847

Contacted USFA today and they are willing and able to install the vey 1 piece woods i admire, from the Custer gun specifically.
Cost is $250 plus $65 to put-em-on. (Full retail I am sure.)
Gonna have my FFL call em to see if he can do better (?)
We'll see.....

Walker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com