Canvas Web for True Grit Gun Belt

Started by dbrown3, January 27, 2008, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown3

Can any one tell me where to find 2.5 or 3" canvas webbing for a True Grit gun belt.  Also, are thwere any pointers I need to lknow?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy dbrown3

You might find what your looking for in The Leather Shop , on pages 8 and 9 , there might be more, you'll have to check the rest of the post.

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Deadeye Don

Quote from: dbrown3 on January 27, 2008, 10:24:42 PM
Can any one tell me where to find 2.5 or 3" canvas webbing for a True Grit gun belt.  Also, are thwere any pointers I need to lknow?

You might be a bit more specific on what pointers you are asking for.  We all would be happy to answer any questions you have if we know what you are searching for.  Oh and welcome to CAS city!!
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

St. George

By the way - if this gunbelt is the type seen worn by John Wayne - it's not web, but soft, light, 'very well-stretched'  leather - done in the form of a Money Belt.

An excellent example is built by El Paso Saddlery - view it at - www.epsaddlery.com - look for the 'Duke' rig.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

The John Wayne "DUKE" belt, as made by El Paso Saddlery used "blacksmith's hide".  The  grey stuff to make aprons with.  I've seen al old version in an antique shop in Mesilla NM.  I think someone else made John Wayne's belt.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

St. George

John Bianchi tried to claim that title - but only 'after' El Paso Saddlery had been marketing their rig for a couple of years - priced at about $80, if I remember...

Doesn't matter.

You can still see a nice 'example' at El Paso Saddlery's site, and that was what was meant.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

EPS is quite circumspect.  In catalog #101, page one, they state .."A faithful rendition of the rig The Duke wore in most of his movies."

The one I saw, regretfully didn't buy, was of grey blacksmith's hide.

I have the advertised holster, but strap it on with a money belt of my own manufacture.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

St. George

The El Paso Saddlery  'Duke' rigs were some of the most popular of the time - I bought my own when they were $80, and it's been a very good rig.

However, I have a couple of wider Money Belts that I like a bit better,  and they see different holsters from time to time, as did the originals of the era, since the matched gun belt is pretty much a Hollywood idea.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com