Small Frame .36

Started by Fox Creek Kid, January 27, 2008, 03:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

Well, I had read for years of the legendary smaller framed early Euroarms .36 clones and how they are like the original .36 Remingtons. Well today at a local gunshow I stumbled across one made in 1970 (XXVI). The guy had $199.00 on it which I thought was robbery as it's a little rough (but will clean up & needs new grips). I mentioned this to him and offered $100 which he took!  :o  I have compared it to my Pietta .44 made in 1975 and the main difference seems to be the length from fore to aft. It is definitely shorter in frame length by approx. an inch or less but everything else seems like a .44 frame. So I'm going to assume that this is THE one that I have read about and thought I'd never find.  ???

Oldelm

Fox,.... Congrats on your new Remington  ;D

Does it say "Euroarms" on the barrel, and is there an overlapping DGG stamped on the underside of the barrel?

Fox Creek Kid

I just answered you on VOY. Give a gander.  ;)

hellgate

Fox Cr.,
Good bargaining! I have one of those too although mine is not as early as yours. And I paid $150 for a "beater" but it shoots all day just fine. What I think is the situation is the Euroarms guns are all built on the original, smaller 44s dimensions. Because the 44s are also lighter and more slender in the grips than ASM, Uberti, & especially Pietta the 36 cal Navy feels so much smaller than the 44 other brands that it is said to be made with a smaller frame. My 36 navy Euro Remmie seems to have the same measurements (eyeballing) of the frame as the 44 Euro Remmies but handles as if it is overall a smaller gun. That's just my opinion.  You'll enjoy it and can stoke it full tilt and they really POP!
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Fox Creek Kid

Thanks, Hellgate. There are few steel framed cap 'n ball revolvers that cannot be salvaged. Most have simply been neglected as the average "dabbler" shoots these very little. After I got it apart the guts looked new except for what appears to be a coat of WD40 "varnish". I need new wood grips though as the set on it look like toast!  :'( 

hellgate

Mine had been "rode hard and put away wet" (i.e. shot and put away for a long time without cleaning). I could see where there was some rust on the frame, hammer sides,  around the nipple cutouts and some pitting in the barrel. Another thing is the riflings were pretty shallow as in my late 1960s Uberti '61 Navy Colt. I think later guns were made with deeper grooves. All my guns from the 1990s on have deeper grooves in the bore. I believe the originals had shallow riflings. The original Colts had a gain twist which is kinda neat to look at.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com