Belt Width

Started by Pomona Pete, January 26, 2008, 08:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pomona Pete

Is there somewhat of a standard when it comes to the width of a gun belt. I have seen some advertised that are 2 1/2 but thats sounds a bit narrow?????????????? ???
Make sure to shoot low every few rounds just in case they're crawling.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pete

2 1/2 to 2 3/4" belts are common, I like a 3 to 3 1/2" belt, I've always worn lined gun belts until resently, I 've changed over to the money belt , and with the money belt I prefer  3" or 3 1/2" belt , I find I can wear the MB all day, with greater comfort, it's also lighter, it conforms to your body better, if you want a belt you can tool on you're better off with the regular gun belt lined or not, the leather you use for a money belt is usually too thin for tooling , but either way , as your question asks I like a wider gun belt in either style especially if your going to have bullit loops, and you want only veg. tanned leather for this. If you're a black powder shooter , you can get by with, with a much narrower belt , but there again the wider is more comfortable

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

I don't think there is really a standard width. It depends on the needs of the shooter. My double crossed belt rigs are 1 3/4" belts and my single belt ones are 2 1/4" They work just fine. I've seen some up to 3 1/2". If you want wider, just tell the maker what you want and he should be able to work with you on that. If you make your own, do what seems most appropriate to you. You can't really go wrong there. It's all a matter of preference. I don't even like wearing a single belt because it won't stay up on me (no butt to speak of, I guess).

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Sgt. Jake

My money belt is 3 inches ,love it .                       Adios  Sgt.Jake

Dr. Bob

10W-5S,

I got lost at the end of you last post.  Why is a wider belt needed by a smokeyless shooter than a black powder shooter??  In my experience, the guys shooting BP use BIG BOOLITS and a case full of powder.  The smokeyless guys use less of both!  Seems to me that us Soot Lords would need the wider belts to hold all that weight!! :o ;) ;D  Please splain yerself!  I'll be greatly appreciative! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Black Powder

I could see where a narrower belt for cap & ball black powder, as opposed to cartridge, is fine since it's just a cap pouch plus the holster that's on the belt and the cartridge or powder is carried over the shoulder in a box or horn.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Whiskey Creek Adams

Quote from: Pomona Pete on January 26, 2008, 08:23:35 PM
Is there somewhat of a standard when it comes to the width of a gun belt. I have seen some advertised that are 2 1/2 but thats sounds a bit narrow?????????????? ???

There are a couple of pictures of cartridge belts in Packing Iron  that appear to be quite narrow, I'm guessing 1.75-2.0". In general though and as Black Powder points out, C&B carry belts were narrower than those made later for metallic cartridge carry. The rather shallow depth of the belt loop on the "off the shelf" C&B holsters may have dictated this. Later, with the advent of metallic cartridges, the width of the belt increased, which in turn resulted in the development of Mexican Loop style holsters which would accommodate these wider belts.

Due to my body type and size I make my cartridge belts on the narrow side, usually 2.75-3.0"".   

knucklehead

most of the belts that i have seen being used are 2 1/2" wide. i have seen a few at 3" wide. to me 3" is bordering on too wide.
that said the belt(drop loop, holloywood style) that i am currently working on is 2 7/8 wide. this belt is for my ruger old armies cap n ball guns. will not have bullet loops.

the belt widths is to your liking.

have fun shootin
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

St. George

Given that the first commonly-used belts for revolvers were the Saber belts issued during the Civil War - it stands to reason that they were narrower.

Cartridges were carried in a single pouch during that time, and while holsters evolved a little - during the percussion period  the method of carry for spare ammunition was still the venerable pouch.

As the cartridge weapons came on the scene, a new, more convenient method of carrying ammunition also evolved and the cartridge loops were born, though they existed as soon as cartridge-firing long guns made the scene.

The fact that early ammunition used black powder has absolutely no bearing on bullet weight or powder capacity, since the round was what it was - loaded to a specific power as dictated by the manufacturer and perpetuated as smokeless took over the blackpowder scene in availability.

As such - now a device that not only supported a holstered weapon , but also as one that supported its ammunition in a convenient way - wider belts found favor - especially the wider, softer Money Belt style that was found to be quite comfortable when broken in.

Most of that pattern seem to be around 3" or larger, and Rattenbury's 'Packing Iron' shows several examples that cover a number of years of the Frontier Era.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Dr. Bob on January 27, 2008, 12:50:19 AM
10W-5S,

I got lost at the end of you last post.  Why is a wider belt needed by a smokeyless shooter than a black powder shooter??  In my experience, the guys shooting BP use BIG BOOLITS and a case full of powder.  The smokeyless guys use less of both!  Seems to me that us Soot Lords would need the wider belts to hold all that weight!! :o ;) ;D  Please splain yerself!  I'll be greatly appreciative! ;D

Howdy Doc
                    I guess you didn't read to the bottom, I said BP shooters can get by with a narrower belt , but a wider belt is more comfortable, it's all a matter of personal taste, I prefer a wider belt, and I'm sure others do also , it's a personal choice , I wasn't trying to say that Black Powder shooters have less to carry

Ten Wolves
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Springfield Slim

Unless someone asks for a wider belt, all the belts I make are 2 1/2" wide. I personally find the wider belts pinch more, but then I am on the thin side.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Seth Shaw

I prefer a 3" suede lined belt myself. At that width I find it bears the weight of my pistols well and with the suede lining it fits really snugly. It's also easier to add shotgun loops at that width as well.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

Trailrider

Howdy, Pards,

I guess I've made more 2-inch wide belts than other widths, with 2-1/2" second.  My military belts are generally either 1-7/8 for most of the enlisted and quite a few officers, but also 1-5/8", generally for officers that want to use certain belt plates that take that width belt.

It generally is a matter of personal choice.  A 1-7/8 to 2-inch wide belt is more than adequate to support a pair of single action revolvers in their holsters, plus cartridge loops, if desired.  Shooters with girths larger than 47 inches will probably want a bit wider belt...2-1/2".  The problem with wider belts may be stiffness when you bend over. 

For folks with a lot of overhang, may be more comfortable with a design of belt where the largest width tapers down to 1-3/4" wide in front of the point of the hips, as opposed to the style that has the ends overlap and separate tongue buckle billets sewn on the belt body.  Both styles were used in the Old West. (See Packing Iron).

Wider belts, say up to 3 or even 3-1/2" may be desired for packing long BP buffalo rifle cartridges, but are going to be pretty stiff when you try to bend over.  Most folks just let the cartridges overhang, top and botton.

Hope this helps!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

will ghormley

Personal preference is the key.

The Miners Forty-niners popularized the wider money belts in the gold fields of California.  However, the saber belt, some of 'em measurin' in at a scant 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" was most common in the 1860s and into the Indian Wars era.  Frank James carried his .44-40 for his Remington 1875s in loops on a Fair Weather Christian belt that was barely 1 3/4".  Most likely, the belt had been originally looped to carry .45-70 for a Springfield conversion or a Sharps.  Jesse James carried his .45 Schofield ammo in loops that were taller than his Schofield ammo was long, on a 3" money belt.  When workin' as a scout for the Army, Mountain Charlie Stobie carried ammo for his .45 Colt 1873 on a 1 1/2" belt.  In many cases, I'm sure guys wore what they could get their hands on.

After 12 years in the Infantry, I can carry anything on a belt, all day long, any width and not be bothered by it at all, so long as I get chow!  I love my cap 'n balls and shoot nuthin' but real black.  I've carried 'em on 1 1/2" belts, 2 1/2", 3" belts and 3" money belts.  I find, the wider the belt, the harder it is to bend over.  So, for wider belts, I prefer the money belts.  Most other belts I don't go over 2 1/2".  I've seen photos of original belts that had to be 4 1/2" at least.  My personal favorite is a brass-spot, Indian decorated, 3" belt I've worn since my buckskinin' days.  Over the years it has actually streatched so much that even though I've gotten wider, I have to buckle it shorter.

What I've found lookin' at all the old photos is, for every generality, there is an exception.  So, as soon as you say one thing, somebody can come up with a photo to turn you out as a blow-hard.  It all boils down to what is comfortable for the individual.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Buck Stinson

From the collestors standpoint, we know that cartridge belts started out in the early 1870's at the standard width of a military waist belt, which was nearly 2".  As time went on and the Colt Single Action hit the civilian market, cartridge belts slowly began to gain popularity, as well as width.  The folded money cartridge belts were first seen on the frontier around 1875 and made famous by such saddle makers as E. L. Gallatin in Cheyenne.   Other shops soon followed and before long, the folded calf skin money cartridge belt was the predominant belt offered by saddle makers.  At this same time, single thickness belts made of heavy saddle skirting also became wider.  These belts are often found in the 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" range.  When studying old saddle catalogs and shop invoices, it becomes apparent that the standard money belts would range in width from 2 1/2" to 4".  However, because the old saddle makers would work with almost any request a customer might have, special order widths were always available.  The widest calf skin money belt I have ever seen was in .44 caliber and made by J.S. Collins of Cheyenne.  This belt was made in the mid 1880's, had a double row of cartridge loops and was a full 6" wide.   With it is a beautiful Collins marked holster made specifically to fit this belt and a 5 1/2" Colt SA.  I have several Collins, Meanea and Moran Brothers, as well as those made by other makers of the period, all in the 3" to 4 1/4" width.   A couple of the wider belts have a double row of cartridge loops, but I also have a few in the 4" range that only have a single row.   

In the 1880 to 1910 period, we see both single thinckness belts and money belts offered for both rifle and pistol cartridges.  These combination belts were not quite as popular and are quite rare today.   The width of these combo belts, was generally determined by the overall length of the rifle cartridge it was to carry.   Although individuals would often make belts to suit their specific needs, it is important to remember that the belts I am referring to here, are those made by saddle makers on the frontier. 

Adios,
Buck     

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

My hats off to St. George, Trailrider, Will Ghormley, and Buck Stinson, and all the other pards ,these were well thought out and written post, and I enjoyed reading every one of them... ;) :D

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com