Where can I go to find out more about an old holster?

Started by Compass Will, January 25, 2008, 07:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compass Will

Trying to ID a hoster, not sure where to ask?  I assume its from the 1880's - 1900?
The gun is a 1st model S&W DA in 44 Russian.  Thinking of selling both to get another SAA.
( I need one more gun if I want to shoot my first match this year)
The smith said its real tight, and that I should shoot it, but its not Single action  ;)
If you think I would be better asking somewhere else let me know where.
who knows, it might be worth more then the gun.
Thanks

SASS 79000

Charlie Bowdre

Hi , Although I am no expert I just did a bit of research on a belt and holster for a friend , It was an old  'cowboy rig' as he called it , was hanging in his basement . I started by searching on line , use  Google or any search engine . Check for Holsters Antiques and that should start it off for you . It will list some dealers who may be able to help.

The old rig my pard had , belonged to his G/Grandfather and as near as we can determine was a HH Heisler , circa 1880 1900. In real good shape and  Mucho Valuable , So ya never know.
Good Luck
Dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't sell that one!   How about giving up cigarettes, whiskey, & wild wild women until you have the $$$$$ to buy another gun?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

St. George

The holster would seem to be a copy of the military's - the single rivets being a 'civilian' product, as opposed to the two-piece rivets.

Are there initials of any type on the back of the holster?

Flap holsters were popular - especially useful in acting to protect the piece.

A better photo'd be a good thing, if possible.

As to your S&W - if it's tight, you can shoot it - so long as you're circumspect on your choice of rounds - and smokeless isn't a choice.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Compass Will

Quote from: St. George on January 25, 2008, 09:15:44 AM
The holster would seem to be a copy of the military's - the single rivets being a 'civilian' product, as opposed to the two-piece rivets.

Are there initials of any type on the back of the holster?

As to your S&W - if it's tight, you can shoot it - so long as you're circumspect on your choice of rounds - and smokeless isn't a choice.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

The only marks is the 71 over 5 on the back.  I think there was a single digit number written in pencil on the inside.

All my collection is shooters. while this one might be able to be shot I just have never had an attraction to double actions.  I figure I would be happier putting the money towards a Sharps copy or a That one additional single action I need to shoot CAS.  Plus there is a collector somewhere that would be happy to add this to his/her collection. 
SASS 79000

outrider

It appears to be a civilian rendition of the 1880's half flap military holster.  The military version was made to fit both the SAA and the S&W Schofield.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

St. George

Understandable...

The '71' would likely be the catalog number - perhaps from one of the big supply houses like Sears, Roebuck.

The '5' - probably the barrel length.

As to the maker - without a maker's stamp, it's damned difficult to say.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Deadeye Don

Let us know how much you want for the rig and gun.  I am sure you will be able to sell it here if you want.  Personally,  I would keep it.  The value will only go up.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will

I'm not sure about the holster, my other Pards know more about this than I do.

You can go to Western 3 gun on this forum , look up Irish Red Otool, and PM him, he has several of these in his shop, just give him the serial # and he can look it up for you and give you a date and approx. value, I have a nickle S&W in a top break, 5 shot 38 cal hammerless, that he dated back to 1886, the same year my Granddad was born , which makes it even more special to me . I'd keep it , or you might be kicking yourself all over the place later on.

Ten Wolves

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

outrider

Ten Wolves:

I also have a S&W hammerless "lemon squeezer" in 38 cal. nickle finish (I think it is a third generation) ..  except for a broken hammer spring it is about 85%.  I used the gun in a three day match about four years ago and then all of a sudden it would not fire anymore then the spring broke.  Has a history though.  belonged to a mine forman in the PA coalfileds....was given to me by his daughter (who was 75 at the time).  One of these days I will get another hammer spring for it.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

How Do Outrider

Yea these old guns are pretty neat , and I'm sure their is a lot of history with each of them , mine was given to me by and old friend , who was born around the 1886 time period, this Pards name was Tex , and he came from same , and boy howdy did he have some storys to tell , I wish he was still with us , heck of a Pard he was. my gun is good to very good condition, I'm told , and is in shooting condition , Big Red even had some new shells for this gun, maybe someday I'll take it out and fire a few.  The holster that came with it is a Mexican single loop, hand carved, and laced up, nice looking holster even today. Thanks for the reply Outridder.

Ten Wolves
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Compass Will

Quote from: outrider on January 25, 2008, 02:57:48 PM
  Has a history though.  belonged to a mine forman in the PA coalfileds...

I got one with PA history also, but no way to prove it.

My Dad used a Marlin model 93 for deer hunting since the mid 40's.  Its a 32 Winchester Special.
Story is Penn State gave one to all the graduates of the forestry school in the 20's.
This one is a 4 digit serial number, markings date it to 1921-1922 when Marlin first started up again after they went out of business.

Anyway, I got it all cleaned up and ready for Cowboy Lever Silhouette for next spring.
SASS 79000

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Sounds good Will, you should have a lot of fun that.

Ten Wolves

Quote from: Compass Will on January 25, 2008, 08:05:12 PM
I got one with PA history also, but no way to prove it.

My Dad used a Marlin model 93 for deer hunting since the mid 40's.  Its a 32 Winchester Special.
Story is Penn State gave one to all the graduates of the forestry school in the 20's.
This one is a 4 digit serial number, markings date it to 1921-1922 when Marlin first started up again after they went out of business.

Anyway, I got it all cleaned up and ready for Cowboy Lever Silhouette for next spring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com