Hunting loads in USFA Rodeo

Started by leathersmith, January 24, 2008, 02:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leathersmith

Being a relative new USFA  Rodeo owner, I am wondering if ammo other than "cowboy" loads can be used.  I've noted several ammo manufacturers, and reloading tables state for 45 Colt calibers, "use in Rugers and T/Cs only."  Not interested in any super hot ammo, but something for packing when hunting etc. 

Leathersmith   

Trooper224

It would help to know what typr of game you plan on hunting.

Virginia Gentleman

Any standard load (not Cowboy squibs or Ruger/TC fireballs) for .45 Colt should be perfectly safe in any USFA SAA.  A good load would be a 250-260 grain bullet traveling along at 820-900 fps.  If you handlaod there is lots of data that will get you there for up to deer sized game.

Pettifogger

The Rodeo, original Colts, Ubertis and other Colt clones, and even the New Vaquero, should not be fired with ammo loaded for big frame Rugers and the TC.  Use the part of the manual for standard loads.

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: Pettifogger on January 24, 2008, 06:56:46 PM
The Rodeo, original Colts, Ubertis and other Colt clones, and even the New Vaquero, should not be fired with ammo loaded for big frame Rugers and the TC.  Use the part of the manual for standard loads.

Amen on that.  The standard load for .45 Colt is plenty powerful for most close range hunting situations for medium sized game.  I would however, be very nervous if hunting Grizzly bears with ANY .45 Colt load. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com