Original Open Top with Henry Cartridges?

Started by Henry4440, January 10, 2008, 11:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

A question.
Did the Henry Rifle and the Open Top Revolver shoots the same .44 Henry Flat cartridge?

;)

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteShoot this  original Open Top the .44 Henry Flat?

??? I do not understand your syntax. Could you re-phrase the question, please.

Wild Ben Raymond

Quote from: Henry4440 on January 10, 2008, 11:05:58 AM
A question.
Shoot this  original Open Top the .44 Henry Flat?

;)

I don't know for sure what your asking but if your asking should you shoot the open top or if the open top shoots those cartridges? The original chambering in the 72' open top is the Stetson .44 Henry as stated in Bruce McDowells book on Conversions. Those rounds should work for both Henry & 66' rifles as well as the 72' open tops. Now if you are asking if you should shoot the gun, thats up to you, but I doubt many of those rounds will even fire but you might get lucky. The rounds are worth more without any firing pin marks on them incase they don't fire. WBR
PS. Nice Open Top you have there.  

Henry4440

Wild Ben, it's not my Open Top.Found the pic on the web.
Sorry for the wrong syntax.
:-[

Fox Creek Kid

Fragen Sie uns, wenn diese Patronen richtig für diese Pistole sind?  ??? Ja. Wenn sie ,,Stetson" Patent sind ja.

Henry4440

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on January 10, 2008, 12:25:52 PM
Fragen Sie uns, wenn diese Patronen richtig für diese Pistole sind?  ??? Ja. Wenn sie ,,Stetson" Patent sind ja.

Na da schau einer her, man spricht deutsch. :D

Fox, what is the difference between these two cartridges?I mean between the .44 Henry Flat and the 'Stetson'Patent cartridge.
I must say, never heard of this Patent before.

;)

Fox Creek Kid

Look here:  http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?condon/14666

The Stetson patent was a novel idea for machine roll crimping a swaged conoidal bullet into the copper case thereby giving more uniformity. McDowell in his book states that a regular .44 Rimfire cartridge will NOT chamber in a Colt '72 Open Top. Obviously, Colt used a chamber reamer made to tight specifications.  ;)

Better photos & explanation: http://www.oldammo.com/september04.htm

Henry4440

TXL,Fox.
As my dad always said, listen and learn son.

;)

Henry4440

MMA10mm

Interestingly, the write up at the oldammo website says that Stetson and another employee of Winchester developed the roll-crimping machine that provided a more uniform (and I'm betting quicker/easier to produce) crimp and patented it in 1865, but the patent date on the box label above says 1871.  I wonder if Stetson developed more than one change for the 44 Henry cartridge???

Galloway

Maybe the open top could fire the 44 rimfire as long as it was of the stetson patent variety. I have several vintage catalogs that list the firearms the catridges are designed for, the 44 flat lists the henry and model 1866, the 44 pointed and 44 flat W&C list the henry, 1866, and colts revolver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com