Some friendly (hopefully?) advice . . .

Started by Butch Barkley, January 01, 2008, 09:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Barkley

Perhaps this has already been asked... I'm just getting started and have a couple of equipment questions for CAS. First I purchased a Puma lever action in 45LC, next I bought a Heritage Arms Big Bore SA also in 45 LC. I've read good reviews on the Heritage SA, but not much out there on the Puma. And I can't really afford to exchange it at this point . . . Obviously I need another revolver...will probably do another Heritage, although I really liked the feel of the Uberti. I plan to stay with 45LC, although 357 is a choice to practice with cheaper 38's . . .

Any suggestions for the next revolver purchase? Any ideas about whether to match the Heritage or go with the Uberti? I tried both at the gun shop and got the Heritage since it was on sale at the time. Both felt really good when I looked at them. Also, does anyone have any suggestions about where to look for leather? There are so many choices out there . . . styles are similar, prices are relatively similar. I would like to practice and move on to fast draw at some point. Should I get something like a fast draw holster now? Or just stay with the cheapies to get started?

Yes, I know, I'm full of questions. I have some ideas which way I'm going to go; I'm just looking for advice to see if I'm looking in the right direction.

Thank you in advance!

Butch Barkley

St. George

'All' of these questions have been addressed in different forums - some in great detail.

Take a look through them - 'especially' looking past the top page - and you'll find all manner of reviews of everything - plus vendor recommendations, and sometimes photos.

My best advice - buy the best quality you can afford, no matter what you're thinking of buying.

You can often do well by trading at your local gun shows, since C&WAS isn't for everyone, and used cowboy stuff is often viewed as a drag on the market when the dealer has a lot of 'black' guns on his tables.

Go to shoots in your area - often, folks will let you try their guns and even their leather, and you can get a much better idea (and a cheaper one) by doing so, as C&WAS folks are a friendly lot.

Before you spend another dime on anything beyond practice ammunition - start researching.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com