A good movie with REMINGTONS in it !

Started by Wolfgang, December 28, 2007, 08:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfgang

"Ride with the Devil". . . very good.  Very glad that a pard on the SASS wire recommended it.  I ordered it from Amazon for a "Christmas present to ME".    Lots of Remington New Model Armys.   Some with brass frames.  In the early gunfights I couldn't get a good enough view ( even with freeze frame and enlargement) to be sure if they were brass framed '58s or maybe Spiller & Burr pistols that would actually be hysterically coooorect.  But in a later scene where a pistol is drawn and pointed across a table there is no doubt it is a brass frame '58.  Also they main characters are digging a dug out in a hillside to spend the winter.  In nice clean clothes ? ? . . . and then they are in this dugout in the winter without a stove and with a door that has great big cracks in it ? . . . well HollyWierd is HollyWierd, . . if that is all the deficiency I can find then it is pretty damn good.   I recommend it if'n ya haven't seen it.  And it is neat to see "my guns" in a film !

Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Hendershot

found it on netflix. Looks like a good movie Wolfgang :) I watched the preview. R rated 1999 film. With Toby McGuire and Skeet Ulrich. To life long friends join the Missouri Bushwhackers 8)

Charlie Bowdre

After seeing this on the tube , I picked up the DVD about a year ago . Really liked the movie. Certainly shows the mix up in family and friends during the War Between The States.
For a  enjoyable show I would recommend it , some good run and gun scenes and basic gear.
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

hellgate

It is one of the most authentic Civil War era movies made, especially the period correct dialect and clothing. The bushwhackers often wore special decorative shirts made by loved ones & sweethearts back home, "colors" if you will. Even the saddelry is authentic. It's the only movie I've ever seen where they are shown RELOADING C&Bs! I just love it. Often Toby McGuire's resume` leaves it out but it is a great movie. The stereotyping politically correct types can't get past a black fighting for the Confederacy. It is a good movie.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Hendershot

Since you metioned reloading c&b's Hellgate, has anyone seen the movie The Proposition? Set back in the 1880's Aussie outback. One brother has to kill another brother to save another brother from hanging. Oh brother ;D There's a scene of someone reloading a c&b under great duress during a shoot out. And the worse thing possible happens. This movie is graphic.

Oldelm

QuoteI still bet, that this guy at the end, wished he'd had an old C&B....

LOL!!.......that's for sure.  ;D (hey I like these new cowboy Smileys)  8)

Hendershot....yea, I saw "The Proposition" and really liked it. It was so realistic and visceral. Very gritty.
John Hurt was good  as Jellon Lamb,the bounty hunter.

hellgate

Uhhh.........I just looked at the trailer on You Tube and it doesn't look like the same movie. A much different proposition. The library movie is from 1998. I think I'll cancel the reservation of the movie.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Oldelm

Hellgate.....

Yea, this 1998 movie is not the one
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120108/   

Here's the one you want to find.....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421238/

Good luck, ...and I  hope you like it.  ;)

Cyrille

I don't know--- call me a Romantic, but that movie, "The Proposition" I just did not like, give me a John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Glen Ford, or any number of the older westerns that I grew up with and I will watch all day and well into the night. I consider the orignal "Magnifecent Seven" one of the best westerns made. So it's not that I am adverse to violence maybe it's the graphic portrayal in todays westerns that turn me off. I think that unless the film is a documentry
all the blood and graphic mayhem shown is overkill. Movies, like plays, in my opinion, are art and art is suppose to imatate life, to entertain the patrons, but then the people of Rome were entertained by the gladatorial contests and that wasn't make-believe. Maybe that's where art differs, It's suppose to imatate life, not actually portray it the way it is/was.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Cyrille

I agree! Only Hollywierd has the most unusual way of portraying the "facts."

Alright;  I admit that when I was coming up  six-shooters on the silver screen often held about a dozen bullets and very seldom had to be reloaded But the "bad guys" were just as "dead" without all the blood or their guts hanging out in the breeze! and we knew they were "dead" until the next film at least. Today nothing and I mean nothing is left to the imaganation. Blood has to squirt, entrails pop out and drag in the dirt. most villians die extremely painful deaths. they aren't just stabbed, shot, tomahawked and crumble to the ground. No no nothing left for the imaganation any more. and this, in my opinion robs one of a most valuable tool. But maybe that's the reason movies, t.v and other sight and sound media have had trouble coming up with something original for the past fifty years or so.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

sundance44`s

Watched the rerun of a good ole long movie called How The West Was Won ..it was on AMC the other day ...when they were in the period of the early 1870`s an Army Scout was makeing peace with an Indian Cheif and he took his 1858  Remington NMA out of hoster in front of the Chief  ..and took the conversion cylinder out of it , took the back plate off and dumped the bullets on the ground between them then replaced the back plate and put her back together ..the Chief then took out an arrow and broke it in half ..as a symbol of peace . I thought Eastwood was the only actor that could handle that on the big screen ...but this is a much older movie ..and I can remember the actors name ..this movie is over 3 hrs long ..it starts in a setting around 1830 and works forward .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Cyrille

Heck I remember that movie a lot of big stars and well known supporting actors were in it. I don't remember the scene you speak of but I've seen similer scenes in a number westerns I really like Clint Eastwood, but believe me he is not the only actor who can handle a difficult scene. Oh by the way, I'm almost positive that Clint was around then, either as Rowdy Yates or "The Man with No Name!"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

sundance44`s

Yep your right Eastwood would have been makeing RAWHIDE when this movie was made ..and there were many big actors in this movie ......they were alot younger then too ..lol
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Cannon Fodder

The movie should include >
Romance = the girl
Justice = the criminal
History = the facts
Law = the lawmen

> and a cute little spotted white dog on a painted red wagon...

What ?  No Horsey !!!  ???            CF

Cyrille

Quote from: sundance44`s on December 30, 2007, 03:39:07 PM
Yep your right Eastwood would have been makeing RAWHIDE when this movie was made ..and there were many big actors in this movie ......they were alot younger then too ..lol
Yeah and alive !
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Cyrille

Quote from: Cannon Fodder on December 30, 2007, 04:02:09 PM
The movie should include >
Romance = the girl
Justice = the criminal
History = the facts
Law = the lawmen

> and a cute little spotted white dog on a painted red wagon...

What ?  No Horsey !!!  ???            CF

Of course lil feller; mostly Shetlands and some bigger horseies too!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Cyrille

Nah, had my fill of Nuns in school---although I must say a goodly number of them cool!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Jake MacReedy

A black man fighting for the Confederacy?  Well, the Third Sergeant (yes, there WAS such a rank!) in the 8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers) was black.  Yep, a black NCO in charge of white enlisted men in the Civil War! (It only took the U.S. Army another 90-100 years to get around to doing this!)  History is NEVER as simple as we'd all like to make it sometimes!

(By the way, the actor who played the part in "Ride with the Devil" also shows up in "3:10 to Yuma")

Jake

Dusty Morningwood

Quote from: Hendershot on December 29, 2007, 09:59:59 AM
Since you metioned reloading c&b's Hellgate, has anyone seen the movie The Proposition? Set back in the 1880's Aussie outback. One brother has to kill another brother to save another brother from hanging. Oh brother ;D There's a scene of someone reloading a c&b under great duress during a shoot out. And the worse thing possible happens. This movie is graphic.
I thought that was a very interesting film.  As far as I could tell, they were pretty authentic in every respect concerning firearms.

Oh, by the way.  Watched Gone With the Wind on my new 42" HD TV the other night.  The revolver that Rhett gave Scarlett after getting them out of burning Atlanta was a NMA.  Scarlett then used same to shoot Yankee deserter in face on the staircase of Tara.  ;D

hellgate

Rusty,
I swear the gun that killed the deserter in the stairway was an 1860 Army .44. But I'm not ready to watch 4 hours of the movie to prove if one of us is mistaken. If you've got the DVD you can hit the "scene selections" and probably find it fast. I thought it was an open top colt she put in his face. The amazing thing is how they could clean up the carpet so easily and nobody found out.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com