pancake holster

Started by crossdraw, December 21, 2007, 01:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossdraw

I want to make a pancake concealment holster for my Ruger NV. Can anyone tell me if I cut the back and top to the same size or do I have to allow extra leather on the top to wet form around the gun?

Thanks
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Springfield Slim

Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

outrider

Crossdraw:

Actually you can do it eitther way.  I think making the top piece slightly larger will give you more to wet mold and conform to the gun.  I have made them both ways.  In fact I still have a pancake (both sides the same size) that I made back in the 70's when I was a LEO.  I was cut for a S&W model 19 .357 with a 2 1/2" brl.  I have also made numerous pancakes for .45 auto's..again I have made them both ways.....basically it's you preference

Good Luck
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Crossdraw..I went downstairs and dug out this pancake holster.  I made this about 30 years ago when I was a LEO.  This was one of my offduty holsters for the 2 1/2" Model 19 .357.  Both the front and rear were evenly cut.  Hope this helps
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

crossdraw

Thanks for the help guys.  ;D

Nice looking holster outrider.

I started one today for my kids S&W 22 cal target pistol. The barrel is 8" so it won't be much of a compact pancake style holster but rather a combo.

I cut the back side to shape and stamped out the belt holes, next I made the front oversize and wet formed it over the gun. I then formed a reinforcement piece at the mouth of the holster that will also reinforce the belt holes.
After this is dry I will stitch on the reinforcement to the front and then the front to the back. I will probably have to trim the front to match the back so I can cut stitch grooves before actually stitching it all together.

Once it is stitched together I will re-wet the front and form in some of the details.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com