Modified 58 Remmie

Started by Pettifogger, December 17, 2007, 03:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldelm

Pettifogger................thanks for those good details. It's those details and fine points like yours that helps alot.
I'm going to order a few of the Ruger plungers, and try drilling the hole on a ole clunker Rem to start with.

Marshal Will Wingam

I really appreciate the detailed description, Pettifogger. Many thanks.

Quote from: Oldelm on December 21, 2007, 12:16:42 PMI'm going to order a few of the Ruger plungers, and try drilling the hole on a ole clunker Rem to start with.
LOL, I don't have any clunkers. Maybe I can drag one behind a tractor for an afternoon to turn it into one. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Skinny Preacher 66418

Is the bushing mounted on the cylinder like the Ruger? What tool did you use to mill the frame?
Smoke em if ya got em.

Flint

I finally got my mini mill and an 8x12 lathe,  Now I can modify Colts and Remingtons again for the Ruger hand spring/plunger setup.  I can't ship or receive cartridge guns but I can work on cap & ball, so if anyone is interested I will perform the operation.

Another modification I have done is to convert the '58 Remington to a Ruger mainspring, and I can now do that again.

When I get some hard steel stock in I will make hard hands for the conversions, as the R&D and particularly the Kirst cylinders are destructive to the Italian made hands.  I will make them designed for the Ruger plunger spring rather than a leaf setup.  Anyone interested?

I will come up with prices soon.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Skinny Preacher 66418

I'd be interested in the front bushing if you could do it (maybe half as long as the one pictured). I don't mind the leaf handspring...
Smoke em if ya got em.

Flint

Skinny Preacher, I'd be willing to install a gas ring bushing in your Remington.  Let me figure a price.

For anyone interested,  this is my Ruger mainspring modification to the Remington.  For a cap & ball, I use thr ROA spring, for a conversion I use a Vaquero/Blackhawk spring.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Oldelm

Howdy Flint,....congrats on your new mini-mill and lathe  ;D

Sure, I may be up for having you do the Ruger hand spring/plunger setup for my Uberti 44 NMA.
I definitely have noticed how the standard Italian hands get chewed up on the R&Ds.
Would the hole  for the spring/plunger come back through the frame and be visible on the left side of the hammer?

Let us know what the price will be, and where to ship to you.

I'd also be interested in the front bushing job,...same as Skinny Preacher was asking.

Thanks for offering this service, and am confident you can do the job well.  ;)

Nice job with the Ruger mainspring modification to the Remington.

Flint

I think a fair price for the Ruger hand spring would be about $50.00.

The new hand I have designed but need material for, so I haven't priced it yet and would retain the existing hand minus the leaf spring.

The mod would show in the left of the hammer as it does on the Ruger Bearcat.

I also can do this to the Colt type opentop.  The spring does not show on that mod as it is covered by the backstrap.

]

SASS 976, NRA Life

Oldelm

Yes, $50.00 is a fair price for the Ruger hand spring mod.... ;)

I'll go to a gunshop I know that has the Ruger Bearcat and have a look at the mod where it shows on the left of the hammer. 

Thanks, Flint.

Buffalow Red

how about a price on the pin bushing & would you need just the cly
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Flint

Probably about $100 for the bushing/gas ring, as it requires removing the barrel to mill the frame to accept the gas ring.  The cylinder needs to be bored about 3/8 inch or so to accept the ring and the ring made to be a press fit and the correct length for proper endshake.  If there is more than one cylinder, they should all be done to match so there is no gap in the fouling area.

SASS 976, NRA Life

Flint

Anyone interested in some gunwork, email me and we can discuss it.

SASS 976, NRA Life

Noz

A ROA is a visible modification and they are used.

Pole Cat Pete

Holy Smoke Bat MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

pony express

I wonder if the same cylinder bushing could be done on a Schofield to make it more BP friendly?

Diamond Dan

Really great looking, maybe do it to some of mine.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com