Cowboys & Tobacco

Started by John Barleycorn, December 15, 2007, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you enjoy your tobacco if at all?

cigarettes
cigars
smokeless/chew
pipe
dont use it at all

John Barleycorn

The movies seem to show that cowboys were big tobacco users in all forms, Is this just Hollywood or is it true?
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Delmonico

Quote from: John Barleycorn on December 15, 2007, 09:19:03 AM
The movies seem to show that cowboys were big tobacco users in all forms, Is this just Hollywood or is it true?

Yep it was true in the time, cigs and chew being the most popular, cigs mostly after the late 70's.  Today the majority of real working cowboys I've ever met dip on or another brands of chew.  Few still use leaf or plug. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

St. George

Tobacco - in its many forms - was thoroughly enjoyed as soon as someone figured out how to dry it, light it, and enjoy the smoke.

During the era, plug tobacco was popular, since it was fairly resilient for carrying - as was snuff.

There were tobacco pouches of wide variety - and all of them were filled.

As time rolled on, individual pouches of rolling tobacco predominated - 'Bull Durham' being a popular brand.

It was also used as an enticing trade medium, because of it's properties.

Tobacco 'back then' didn't have the additives of tobacco produced today, by the way.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Deadeye Don

True.  It was one vice that was easily transported.  Interesting evidence from the Little Big Horn battle shows dental indications of a significant amount of pipe smoking. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Deadeye Don

We can count on the modern day tobacco companies making their products even more addictive through additives.  >:(

Delmonico

The soldier of the time seems to have prefered the pipe. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Forty Rod

I was a four pack a day smoker for 35 years.  Tried pipes for a few years and cigars for an even shorter time.  Never chewed or dipped.  Been tobacco free for about ten years now.  Gained 45-50 pounds because food tastes better, but feel a lot better in spite of the weight.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Modoc

I have to second 40-rod, except I was up to a can a day of Copenhagen :P
Still like an occasional quid of leaf, but have the youngster to be a good example for ;D.  The worst chore was cleaning out the spitoon.

A good pipe still smells great tho
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Marshal Will Wingam

I smoked for a good 10 years, up to 4 packs a day. I quit cold from 3 packs a day. Been a free man now for about 30 years.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

GunClick Rick

I must be a night owl.I never ever smoke during the day,can't stand it.But at night i have a few before going to bed.

HOOOOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLLL!!! Oops thought i saw a mull foon :o
Bunch a ole scudders!

Deadeye Don

I am really happy about you pards that smoked and were able to stop.  It is often not an easy thing to do.  You are likely to be around for alot longer enjoying your shoots and the company of your posses not to mention your families.  Congrats!!

Russ T Chambers

I haven't smoked in my entire life, even though my Dad, Grandmother chain smoked, and my brother smokes now.  I do run around CAS matches with a lit cigar, but you can tell if I accidently inhale, as I will take a few minutes to stop coughing,  I just do it for the visual effect, I guess.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Howdy Doody

I do my smoking from the muzzle of my guns. I was able to quit the habit when I got out of the service. I used to miss it when I smelled the smoke from others and now I have actually developed sort of an allergy to it. Go figure.

Around my neck of the woods it would be a major inconvienience to smoke with all the laws and such. It looks cool though  8)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Singing Bear

A "rope" or twist of tobacco was one of the most popular trade items at rendezvous time.  Could be smoked or chewed.   I see something similar still available at some of the small mom and pop stores around here.   Popular with some of the Filipinos' from the old country.

March 15th 08 will make it 3 years, again, for me.  I first quit at 3 packs cold turkey when I came down with bronchitis.  Was off for 13 years and picked up a cig and lit it.  Big mistake.  I figure most of us only control our addiction by not smoking, having gotten rid of the nicotine from our systems and subbed our physical obsession with something else.  It only takes one to start it all over again.

River City John

Quote from: Singing Bear on December 16, 2007, 11:18:56 AM
A "rope" or twist of tobacco was one of the most popular trade items at rendezvous time.  Could be smoked or chewed.   I see something similar still available at some of the small mom and pop stores around here.   Popular with some of the Filipinos' from the old country.

March 15th 08 will make it 3 years, again, for me.  I first quit at 3 packs cold turkey when I came down with bronchitis.  Was off for 13 years and picked up a cig and lit it.  Big mistake.  I figure most of us only control our addiction by not smoking, having gotten rid of the nicotine from our systems and subbed our physical obsession with something else.  It only takes one to start it all over again.

How true!
I had quit a two pack per day habit after getting another bad case of bronchitis that just wouldn't go away. This in '90.
Later, after having been in CAS I played with a pipe and then cigars. Liked the effect and seemed to go well with camp socializing. The last three years it got to the point that I was puffing 5-10 cigars a week even if I wasn't at an event. Never inhaled, but I was sure getting my nicotine fix. I would not smoke in the house, but out on the back porch, winter and summer, most often in the evening.

First real cold snap I went out onto the porch to smoke my evening after-dinner cigar and just decided I wasn't going to freeze my face off again this winter.
Haven't smoked a thing for a little over four weeks now. Guess I'll wait until shooting season rolls around next year and we're all sitting around the campfire or the saloon table. That's my trouble, I like my vices too much.   
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Forty Rod

In the years before I quit I tried everything I could find. 

I finally stumbled on the secret: QUIT!!  Just stop and tell yourself you're stronger than any damned weed.  Worked for me.

It was a real bitch for a couple of weeks, but it worked!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Steel Horse Bailey

I was a "social" smoker about 30 years ago.  Got all the way up to a pack a week.  Wasn't too hard to quit.

In my Cowboy "bag" I have "makins', cee-gars and chaw, but if I DO light up, it's just for show.  Kinda like RussT.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dr. Bob

I'm with Steel Horse Bailey here!  I have a couple of pipes and a cigar or two and the tools to go with them, but I don't like the after taste, so I don't actually light up very often.  I prefer a glass of Madeira for realization! :o ;) ;D  Or maybe two, or three ...... ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Dr. Bob on December 19, 2007, 12:27:34 AM
I'm with Steel Horse Bailey here!  I have a couple of pipes and a cigar or two and the tools to go with them, but I don't like the after taste, so I don't actually light up very often.  I prefer a glass of Madeira for realization! :o ;) ;D  Or maybe two, or three ...... ;D

I'll drink to that!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com