38-40 Custom Mold for blackpowder - results

Started by Col. Cornelius Gilliam, December 07, 2007, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col. Cornelius Gilliam

Howdy,

I have tried many molds and bullet designs for the 38-40 (including the "Big Lube") and finally decided to design my own.

I drafted it up and had LEE cut a custom 6-cavity mold.

I based it on the basic Lyman design with two lube grooves, and no crimp groove.

The picture below is my best black powder (10) shot group at 50 yrds - 2 5/8" max center to center.

I used KIK FFg.  The 0.401 diameter bullet weighs in around 180gr.

I am very happy with the results!!

Springfield Slim

Nice lookin' bullet. Did you have any spares cut or did you do just the one mould? Kinda fun designing your own mould and then seeing if it works. I just did a 44-40 mould but haven't had the time to test it for accuracy. Shot 25 of them last match through the rifle and didn't miss any more than usual, and it fed well, which was what I was more worried about, being a SWC design instead of RNFP. Are you crimping on the front driving band or crimping in front of it on your bullets? 
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

w44wcf

Col.

Nice looking bullet......just like the original but with more lube capacity with the wider / deeper grooves.
NEAT!

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Col. Cornelius Gilliam

Howdy Springfield Slim,

Yes, I had an extra cut for myself, so I would have a backup, and my buddy also bought two.

I crimp over the driving band into the nose (just like on the old Ideal bullets).  The black powder keeps the bullet from telescoping into the case.

W44WCF:

Yes, it was based on the old Ideal/Lyman design with wider/deeper grooves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com