How About Some Quality Buckles for a Change?

Started by will ghormley, December 02, 2007, 01:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will ghormley

Hey Marshal,

Thanks for gettin' that thread started on the Frank James stamps.  I think there are a lot of holster and saddle makers out there who would like to have some of them old time floral saddle stamps.  We'll see.

I'd also be interested in findin' out how many other makers are tired of the gun belt buckle selection.  Everything I do, I do in the light of history.  We are currently reproducing the gear from a hundred and fifty years ago and better.  But we have to keep in mind, the gear we are makin' will be honored, cherished and collected by future generations, in much the same way as we search after the premium relics of the Old West.  It seems odd to us to think of Western Action Shooting as a world-wide phenominon that will be marveled at by future historians; but if civilization survives itself, it will be.  Academics, anthropologists and historians will pour over the relics of this period in the world's history; when the Old West of America was remembered and relived through Western Action Shooting.  The gear you are makin' may well end up as the centerpiece in some museum's "Western Action Shooting" exhibit.  That's one reason I always encourage folks to get a maker's stamp made, and use it.

But, for all our efforts, our selection of gun belt buckles is pretty limited.  I have talked with TLF about designing a line of Old West gun belt buckles, which could also be used for pants belt buckles, (to match your gun belt for when you aren't packin'!).  I'm not talkin' about the cheap cast stuff you can find so much of, but solid cast brass buckles of authentic design, with nickle or silver plating if desired.

Part of the problem is the rising cost of metals and metal precessing.  To keep prices low, retailers look for lower prices metals and production techniques.  The impression seems to be, if it's inexpnsive, folks will buy it regadless of quality.  What I'm lookin' for is heirloom quality buckles to add value to my gear, regardless of price.  I'd rather put a classic, high quality, heirloom grade buckle on one of my rigs, than some two-bit pot metal buckle that adds no value to my work at all.  I'm gettin' a little worked up here just talkin' about it, but am I right or am I right!

How many of you would pay six, eight or ten bucks for a buckle, if you could get something that was good quality and authenticly designed to the Old West?  I know most of us wouldn't hesitate to put it on our own gear, but I can guarantee you, most customers would jump at the chance to get a good lookin' buckle with a reasonable bump in price.

I'd like to hear from you guys:  Would you like a better selection of gun belt buckles?  How much would you be willin' to fork over for one?  How many of you would like to have somethin' with some imprinting on it like you'd find in the pages of "Packin' Iron"?  I think there is a big demand for authentic quality buckles.  What do you guys think?

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Marshal Will Wingam

Glad to help, Will. This is another good idea. I split it off into its own topic since it is a complete idea, not to mention a good one. I'll send an eamil to Tandy to see if we can get some decent quality buckles made for our uses. Anyone that's interested or may be in the future can do the same.

Here's the Tandy customer service email address again: tlfhelp@leatherfactory.com

OK, pards. Show them we have an interest.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Buffalo

I fer one sure would. I don't care what it cost, I like to buy the best, then it makes my work look better.
Buff

Forty Rod

Will, I'd like to find a source just so I can change most of the junk on my belts, even my Sunday-go-to-meeting pants belts.

Silver, nickle, brass, and blued steel.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will & Will

I think this is another great idea, I'm always looking around different stores for old buckles , but with not much luck. I sent Tandy an e-mail on this subject too, hope we all see some results on this, and the flower stamps..

Ten Wolves Five Shooter  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

outrider

Howdy Pards:

Will:

I would definately be interested inthis idea.  It is very difficult to get decent buckles and I wouldn't mind the additional cost.  Also, I have already mentioned that I would be interested in the rosette stamps.

Outrider
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Forty Rod on December 02, 2007, 05:48:26 PMWill, I'd like to find a source just so I can change most of the jung on my belts, even my Sunday-go-to-meeting pants belts.
You buyin' Chinese hardware? :D

Forty Rod

How good are the buckles that crazy crow sells? 
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

ChuckBurrows

Count me in! Good quality buckles are getting harder to find - so far Siegel, Montana Leather, and a couple of others are still carrying the better quality clip corners in solid brass or nickle over brass, but I'd sure like a good choice of other styles, especially the earlier (1860-70's) styles including the sqaure center bars and roller types. (still have a few of my old 1880's rollers but they're going fast..... :( )

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Dr. Bob

I would be interested, but I just do a little for myself.  1870's proper buckles would be great!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Rascal Ralph

I just used Will's link to write to Tandys saying we would appreciate good authentic buckles. Hope the rest of you will do the same. RR
In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you hadn't met yet.

Sass # 67604

SBSS # 1822

GOFWG # 283

RATS # ???

Marshal Will Wingam

outrider

Hey Will (Ghormley):

How about asking your buddy at Blockade Runner about quality belt buckles.  Maybe he can give us some leads where to go to get some quality buckles that are period correct.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Tommy tornado

I can tell you from my Father's experience that dealing with India/Pakistan can be very hit or miss.  He was trying to get reproduction Civil War Uniforms, Bummer's Caps, Buttons, and Brass belt buckles done, and the quality and accuracy were terrible of atleast half the stuff he received.  About the only thing they did great was cut canvas for tents.  My Dad usually had to remove there buttons and add correct style ones himself.  Keep working on Tandy and others like hidecrafters.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Tommy tornado

Also prehaps Art Brass http://civilwarbuckles.com/
or
http://www.hanoverbrass.com/
could produce the buckles that you require in the good old USA  ;D
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Dr. Bob

I have purchased buckles from Hanover Brass and have been very happy with them.  They also make buckles in Nickle.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

will ghormley

Hey Guys,

Months ago I sent an email to Hanover without getting a response.  I'll try again, maybe with a phone call.  TLF hasn't been very responsive and it looks doubtful.  I've got a call in with an outfit in India, but after reading Tornado's post, I'm not so sure I want to go that route.  I'll know more when they send samples.

I spent the better part of Friday working out scale drawings.  My proposal would be to start a cast relief decorated line of buckles, since most buckles are plain.  These buckles would also be larger than what is available on the market.  When I have the drawings finished, I'll post pictures with dimensions so you can see what I'm workin' on.

On one of the first pages inside "Packin' Iron", there is a "wheat 'n rose bud" decorated rectangular California buckle.  I would re-create something very similar to that with the "wheat 'n rose bud" pattern.  I would also have an oval California buckle with a variation of the same decoration.  Then, I'd have a clipped corner California with the same decoration.  The last buckle would be a smaller, undecorated, rectangular California buckle, since those are hard to come by any more.

That's what I'm lookin' at right now.  A lot of folks want a lot of different buckles, but when it comes time to pay for twenty different kinds of buckle in lots of 1000, I don't see any way to pay for it all.  So, I'll try to find 1 to 4 buckles that people are the most interested in, and try to get those made.  We'll see.

Will

Will Ghormley

Marshal Will Wingam

This the buckle you're talking about, Will? If so, I like it. That would be nice on any shape, especially the clip corner. Keep us posted on your progress.

ChuckBurrows

Will - you might give the folks at Advanced Casting in Albuquerque a shout - http://www.advancedcasting.com/frame.html
They will do small runs of non-ferrous castings. A friend recommended them for a project I had in mind but never got around to doing.
The buckles could be cast and then plated by a separate company or you could maybe have them cast in "white" bronze or brass.
They're are some other small speciality casting foundrys in the US as well..........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

will ghormley

Yeah Marshal,  That's the one I'm talkin' about.

Hey Chuck, thanks for the lead on the outfit in Albuquerqui, I'll give 'em a try on Monday.  When I get off here, I'm gonna finish up my sketches and get 'em posted.

Will

Will Ghormley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com