Original '75 Serial #2!!!

Started by Fox Creek Kid, November 30, 2007, 05:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Yep. Drool!

Thanks for the link. Outstanding pistol.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Deadeye Don

Question is..........would you shoot it?
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Marshal Will Wingam

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it but probably wouldn't do so. For that price, why take any chances with your investment. I would, however, drool all over it causing undue corrosion.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Tubac

Gent's,

I hate to be a wet blanket but the model 1875's were batch numbered with three digits.
So there were many more than one number 2 made.
Still, a nice looking pistol.
Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Fox Creek Kid

Quote...but the model 1875's were batch numbered with three digits.

??? Could you elaborate on that with a source, please?

Tubac

Sure, Flaydermann's 8th edition page 146. first column, fourth line.

Tubac

Fox Creek Kid

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Tubac on December 01, 2007, 06:55:26 PM
Gent's,

I hate to be a wet blanket but the model 1875's were batch numbered with three digits.
So there were many more than one number 2 made.
Still, a nice looking pistol.
Tubac

Thanks you just gave me another reason not to buy that one then.   ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Fox Creek Kid

Tubac, since I belong to the Remington collectors website I sent an e-mail to Don Ware, who the official Remington historian, Roy Marcot, defers to for questions on Remington large frame revolvers. His answer vindicated what you said and I thank you as I did not know this about Remington 1875 serialization. I think you'll enjoy his reply.  ;)

"Flayderman is correct. Remington's first production of the Model 1875 started with s/n 1 and ran to approximately 16,000. Subsequent production was produced in batches, with most of the batches being 1,000 or less in number. Each of these batches started with s/n 1 again, so therefore there are several s/n 1s, 2s etc.

the first run of 1875s  were all made in .44 Remington caliber. Unfortunately  the revolver in question leaves the caliber in unknown. I believe that the first production of these revolvers went to highly placed Egyptians, with whom Remington had a contract for 10,000. Several s/n 1 revolvers are known, but the original s/n 1 has not yet surfaced."

Wolfgang

Interesting, . . . so ya could find a pair of originals with the same serial numbers and have some real  "one upmanship" on the fellows that have a pair of guns with consecutive serial numbers.    ie. "I've got a pair of originals with the SAME serial numbers".   Wow. . . wouldn't that be a KICK !  . . . anyhow, . . it's a fine old gun.  And I'd shoot it.  Hell , . . if I had an original Henry  rifle I'd shoot it.  Open an unopened box of original .44-100s, load it up and fire away.  . . . ah dreams are fun. . . aren't they . . . . .

Good shootin', . . . . .  :) 

Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Tubac

Wolfgang, yeah I guess so. there may be 10 or 15 of each number,(figurin' 10K or 15K made in batches).
I'd imagine it would take quite a bit of lookin' to find a matched set.

Fox Creek, Thanks for the info, did the gentleman hazzard a  guess as to how many were made?
Flayderman guesses 25-30,000.

here's a photo for Number 659, .44/40, so it's made after the first 16,000.

Tubac

Fox Creek Kid

Quote...did the gentleman hazzard a  guess as to how many were made?

I didn't ask.

Yankee Will

Ya'd have to shoot it!! That's what it was made for!! ;D
"This country needs more Patton and less patent leather..."

Steel Horse Bailey

I'd have to try it, but I wouldn't chance it with the grips on it!  I'd take 'em off to shoot it, and keep 'em for lookin' good!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com