Hull identification

Started by Two Rivers Marshal, November 19, 2007, 10:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Rivers Marshal

Howdy folks, need some help....

I have been shooting alot of the Winchester low noise, low recoil shells.  Now that I have a stockpile of empty hulls around, I wanted to load them up.  Looking in the 4th edition of the Lyman shotshell reloading manual, I cant determine which hull I have. 

The book lists a polyformed plastic with plastic basewad - 12ga 2 3/4" hull.  I cut one of mine apart, it has the white basewad, but doesnt look like the photo in the book.  Any help would be appreciated.

Looking to for loads that would use 700X powder as I have alot of that already.  1oz or 1 1/8oz shot charge (have both shot bars)

Thanks folks,

Two Rivers
Rats # 458

Sky Soldier

Hello, Two Rivers Marshall.
A couple of years ago I went through a long session of R&D to use my saved Winchester Universal 12 ga. hulls for Cowboy Action Shooting reloads.
The first bridge I had to cross was when the "Universal" cases were the same shape as the COMPRESSION FORMED cases in the Lyman Shotshell Handbook (First Complete Edition, Copyright 1969) except that they were made in two pieces as were the POLY FORMED cases.
After a comparison of similar loads (using the same components) in the different cases I determined that the POLY FORMED cases required the lightest charge so I loaded with the data in the POLY FORMED section and loaded 100 rds.
The cost of the components to reload the cases was almost as much as what a 100 round box of Winchester Universal loads cost me and I liked the factory loads more so I just stick with the factory loads.
With the recent increase in shot prices, the factory loads are probably cheaper.
My handbook has load info for 700X and I can scan them and e-mail them to you if you'd like but IMHO it's a waste of time.
My 2 cents, hope it helps.
3/319 173rd Airborne Bde.(Sep)   May '66 - May '67

If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Curley Cole

Howdy

I reload the Winchester LoNOise Lorecoil (Featherlites) but I load to almost factory specs. I have my own recipe as I think the F/L leaves a lot of residue so here is my load:
Winchester F/L hull
209 primer (I use Winchester)
15gr Clays powder
WAA12L grey 7/8 wad (midway has Winchester pretty cheap)
7/8oz #8 shot.

Based on current prices at conniescomponents.com they are costing me $4.133 per box/25
hope that helps
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com