Ugh... just finished timing my R&D cylinder to a friend's ASM 1860

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, November 18, 2007, 11:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

Well, It was work, but, I go it timed.

I took just a hair of of the timing lever and another little bit off the feet on the cylinder that were too tall. VERY carefully.

Now, it all syncs up pretty well.

Funny thing is, it times much NICER for his ASM than it does for my Pietta 1860.

He gave me a bag of brass from Cabela's he bought and asked that I load up the lightest 250gr rounds that match what I had given him to shoot from mine.

I had to resize ALL the brass to fit his R&D cylinder, as from the factory, they are just too big. (fit my rugers just fine... weird)
(I am using winchester brass, WLP primers, 5.5gr of trailboss, and 250 .454" Red River RNFP bullets)

[I only reload for a VERY select few...]

An hour later and all is good. And the bullets sit less than .005" below the mouth of the cylinder.

He should be a happy camper.

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteI took just a hair of of the timing lever and another little bit off the feet on the cylinder...
???

I'm unfamiliar with your terminology, D.W. "Timing lever" = bolt? "Feet" of cylinder?  ???

Coffinmaker

Dakota,

Normally, Ruger chambers are .............. generous.  Normally, Ruger chamber throats are .............. way small.  Go Figure.
Not surprising you had to resize new brass for the R&D cylinder.  Kenny's stuff is usually "snug."  No two guns time alike.  Not even consecutive numbered ones.

Coffinmaker

Dakota Widowmaker

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on November 19, 2007, 12:30:34 PM
???

I'm unfamiliar with your terminology, D.W. "Timing lever" = bolt? "Feet" of cylinder?  ???

Sorry, hand assembly... I simply polished the bolt.

I call them feet on the colt's cylinder. (ridges on the cylinder where the hand assembly rotates the cylinder)

Pettifogger

Quote from: Dakota Widowmaker on November 20, 2007, 08:11:30 AM
Sorry, hand assembly... I simply polished the bolt.

I call them feet on the colt's cylinder. (ridges on the cylinder where the hand assembly rotates the cylinder)

That's called the cylinder ratchet.

Halfway Creek Charlie

SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fox Creek Kid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com