Piettas: Issues with the wedge peening the barrel slot?

Started by John E. Ringo, November 16, 2007, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John E. Ringo

Is this a common problem with Piettas? I've read several posts about this. Are Uberti's barrels harder?

Pettifogger

They are both made for BP only so neither use steel as tough as that used in smokeless proofed guns.  The Piettas seem to come from the factory with very tight wedges.  A pair I just bought had them hammered in so hard they sort of pre-peened the wedge slot and took a pretty good smack to knock them out.  The way they should fit is that you can push them in with finger pressure so that at least the lip of the lock spring is sticking out the other side.  If you have to hammer them to get the wedge in, that is what is causing the peening.  File them off on one side a little until they are a press fit.  If they go all the way into the gun and are still a little loose, that can also cause peening.

Flint

In my experience, Pietta barrels are softer than Uberti, at least in the Remingtons.  If the steel is the same in their Colt types, it could cause a problem with wedge slots.  I have seen a lot of complaints on the various forums about Pietta wedges set so hard they required serious hammering to remove.  As Pettifogger said, ideally, the wedge should be finger tight, and not require a hammer.  Another thing I noticed on Pietta wedges is often a very rounded spring hook, which won't hold the wedge in place under recoil.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

John E. Ringo

Well, I was looking at a Traditions (Pietta) U.S. Marshal .44. Pietta claims they are made from "hardened" (i.e. better) steel. I'm not sure I believe it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com