New And Need Help

Started by Fireaway, November 16, 2007, 03:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireaway

I am new to this site and though I have read a lot of threads I have a question for you regulars.  I am wanting to get a single action 45 in USFA or similar and would like to spend between $500.00 & $600.00.  Should I buy direct from USFA or does anybody have a good starter gun for me to buy?  I have several double action and automatics but I would like to start shooting again and would like to shoot single actions.

Camille Eonich

"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Deadeye Don

I think you need to decide if you want to purchase new or used.  Knowing that you can start looking in the appropriate places.  You can clearly get a Cowboy or a Rodeo from USFA in your price range.  The SAA premium would be out of your stated price range.  If you want new, find yourself a trusted FFL as he/she can buy cheaper than the stated RETAIL prices on the USFA website.   If you want a Uberti made single action you can purchase one new for even lower than you can get a USFA made gun. The rodeo would make an excellent starter and finish gun if you dont mind the historically incorrect color.

If you want used then the links that Camille provide will give you a good start. Just be aware that you will have to go through an FFL to purchase a  cartridge gun no matter what you.  Regards. Deadeye. 

PS welcome to the fun.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Howdy Doody

Although I haven't shot any USFAs they are being seen a lot more and there aren't any major complaints.
They should be a good choice.
I know from experience that initial start up gets expensive. I made a couple choices when I got my first
CAS outfit and spent some time trading off until I got what was right for me.
If you go to a match to observe, make it known to club members that you are getting started and get
some opinions on what the members are shooting. Most will offer to let you try their pistols, rifle and shotguns
after the match is over. Cowboys are like that. You can get some solid advice about things at a CAS match.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Fireaway

Thanks, yall have been helpful.  I am going to check with my local FFL dealer and see what he can get me one for. I still will be checking on a used one too just in case.  Please continue on with the links. Thanks!!

boot strap jack

gun broker has package deals. other than that watch the various gun shops in the area

Fireaway

What about a Cimarron P model smithed by Long Hunter Shooting Supply?  Has anyone had one by him and do you think it would be the way to go? Thanks for the help.

Camille Eonich

Long Hunter is a great guy and a very good shooter.  I can't imagine that you could go wrong with something that you purcahse from him.  If something did go wrong then I'm sure that he would make it right.

Now having said that I have never handled a gun that has been worked on by him.  The prices on the guns on his site incuding the action work look very reasonable.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Tensleep

I have handled Long Hunter worked guns several times and like what he does with them.
My friends Ridgeback Jack and Will Sonnet are both pleased with their pistols from Long Hunter.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Missouri Marshal

Ruger New Vaquero.  About $475 and built to last forever.  The most reliable single action on the market bar none.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Pitspitr

If you want a starter gun, the Cabela's Millineum is a great value. It's ugly from the stand point that it's got a matte black finish but it's the same internal quality as all the Uberti guns I've handled and priced at only about $300.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Doc Sunrise

Check out the new pricing for Rodeos by USFA.  Fantastic gun for the money, it will not let you down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com