Have you been a vendor?

Started by Sawdust Jim, November 11, 2007, 07:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust Jim

Hi all,
I've been thinking that being a vendor at some of the larger shoots might be a good way to get my name "out there", as well as increasing sales. So I was wondering if any of you have done this and, if so, what your experience has been? I have done quite a few craft shows in the past, both wholesale and retail and I have a pretty good idea of what is involved. I guess the bigest question would be if it was worth it for you?

Thanks,
Jim
SASS # 62093

Slowhand Bob

I just finished an event yesterday and it was the best yet for me.  BUUUT I must admit that there was a secret to that success, it actually was more a general yard sale than a leather offering.  I had most of the space on my tables covered with a wide variety of cowboy gear that I was not using any longer.  In addition I was selling off (super clearance prices) a lot of old gun leather that has been used as loaners over a number of years.  I also find that most cowboys do like to dicker a bit also so build it in and let them know you luv to talk deal/trade. 

Your milage may vary but something that culminated with this event and seemed to work for me when I was selling new was....  Make at least two or three plain Jane belts (no cartridge loops) in various sizes and do the same with a few holsters.  Keep production as simple and low cost as possible while using a decent quality.  These are your advertisers so take them to lots of monthly matches to loan out to new shooters.  At the end of the day a few who are trying to start out on a shoestring will buy these pieces from you.  If the quality versus price is right they will remember you when its time to upgrade.  The shooter who wants more in the beginning just might be ready to order from you after the match.  Before they get to old offer them 'as is' bargains, they have done their job in the good will provided to your local cowboys. 

Though I sold a ton of stuff this weekend, I was not actually competeing with the other vendors present.  Remember, the guy selling low end is not competeing with the guy selling high end, their customers are not the same.  Right now the high end of cowboy leather is where the most fierce competition is at.  Offer a quality piece of plain Jane leather that will not bleed all over a poor cowboys new clothes and at a price that is competetive to the oil soaked mass market stuff and there is a market, just for you. 

Sawdust Jim

Thanks for the reply,
Your idea of donating a couple of rigs to the local club for new shooters sounds real good. I also will be donating faffel items for our anual shoots. Most of what I've been making is on the custom end of things but I have been working on some items that would be easy to make and have a broader apeal.

Thanks again,
Jim
SASS # 62093

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com