anyone ever modify the timing on their own 1860? (R&D conversion came in)

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, November 05, 2007, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

Well, the R&D conversion cylinder came in for my 1860 (ASM/Pietta) Army revolver.

Its over rotating when the hammer goes to full cock.

Has anyone ever attempted this on their own to adjust???

What parts are required to be modified???

Coffinmaker

Dakota,

Before you go hackin and chopin and filin,  First pull the cylinder off the mandrel and remove the bolt from the frame.  Check the FIT of the bolt to the slots in the cylinder.  If the gun wasn't suffering throw-by with it's original cylinder, it shouldn't throw-by now.  Often, the slot in the R&D cylinder is a few thou narrower than the slot in the OEM cylinder and it doesn't actually lock-up.  Check to see that the bolt isn't just sitting on top of the slot and not dropping in.  You may very well need a separate bolt, fit the the conversion cylinder.

Flint

I have a drop-in R&D cylinder for the 1860 Uberti.  Of the 6 revolvers I have, (4 Ubertis and a 2nd and 3rd gen Colt) the cylinder locks up without overtravel in only one of them (an Uberti) without having to adjust anything inside. I prefer not to adjust the hand length as I shoot it most often cap & ball and don't want to mess up the original cylinder's timing.  So I stamped the serial number of the gun it works in on the cylinder so I can mount it when I want to use the cartridges.

Do as Coffinmaker suggests and make sure the bolt head will fit into the cylinder slot to begin with, if not, adjust the bolt.  If that loosens up the cap & ball cylinder lockup, it won't be by enough to make a real difference.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com