Couldn't Resist, Richards Transition Models

Started by Pettifogger, November 02, 2007, 06:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pettifogger

Have several open tops of various configurations.  Several pards have mentioned the Richards Transition Model, so I took a look at the Cimarron website.  They looked pretty neat and I like the old style ejector better than the Richards-Mason type.  So, I went down to my local gun emporium and they had a pair.  They were so pretty I couldn't resist, so I picked them up.  I like the deeply blued steel back strap and trigger guard better than the brass on my 71 Open Tops and the firing pins look a lot more durable than the 71.  As with all new guns they need an action job, but they should clean up nice and be fun shooters.

Fox Creek Kid

I too was seduced by the allure for a Type II. I had a chance to get one from Cimarron but a friend talked me out of it as all my Open Tops & my RM are in .44 Colt and he asked me straight up "what in the he_ _ do you want a .45 for?" He was right. I cast my own bullets and already cast for three different calibers as is. So I will wait for the .44 Colt.......................and wait............and wait................and wait..................... :'(

Deadeye Don

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Pettifogger

Quote from: Deadeye Don on November 03, 2007, 08:24:48 AM
45 colt doesnt make any sense in those guns.

Why not?  Original cap and ball barrels were actually .45s.  The .44 Colt cartridge used in the original conversions used .45 diameter bullets.  (The "modern" .44 Colt uses an inside lubes .429 bullet.)  Seems like .45 makes plenty of sense.

Deadeye Don

If I am still interested in them when they finally arrive in 2 years,  I will opt for the correct caliber....... 44.

Flint

Although the bore was 45 and the cartridge used a heel based bullet, the chamber diameter was the same as the modern 44, and that means there is more steel between the cartridge case and the world outside using the 44 than the modern 45 Colt....

Look at a 72 Opentop Ubrti chambered in 45 Schofield or Colt and see how thin they are.  That cylinder, though larger than the original Colt, is still smaller than the SAA, and that is thin too.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Deadeye Don

About  year ago I was told by Taylors that Uberti could not make the open top in 45 colt due to the thin nature of the resulting cylinder walls.  Somehow they managed to do it, but I would still be a bit leery of getting it in 45 colt.  I like my 38 special which also takes 38 colt of course.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Pettifogger

Just checked the cylinder wall thickness and cylinder OD on a .44 Colt/Russian and the .45.  Cylinder OD on the .44, 1.620; wall thickness, .050".  Cylinder OD on the .45 (at the rear before the step), 1.650; wall thickness, .042".  In this day of never ending litigation, no manufacturer or importer is going to sell a gun in the U.S. that can't meet SAAMI pressure specs.

Abilene

The thinnest point of the cylinder will be at the bolt notches.  I don't know for sure but was told that the 45LC Opentop didn't pass proof tests at first, but then a year or so later they got it to pass proofing.

Long Johns Wolf

Met the boss of HEGE German distributor of Uberti yesterday at a gun show. He just got a box full of RIIs with 8" barrel in .44 Colt in due time for the show. Therefore, I assume that greater numbers of this pistol in that "original" configuration should be available on your side of the big pond pretty soon.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Frank Dalton

Thanks for that update LJW! I'm looking forward to seeing that particular model myself.
Frank Dalton
US Deputy Marshal
Indian Territory
SASS# 54716L
USFA CSS# 59
GAF# 360
STORM# 268
Perge Scelus Mihi Diem Perficias

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteMet the boss of HEGE German distributor of Uberti yesterday at a gun show. He just got a box full of RIIs with 8" barrel in .44 Colt in due time for the show.

Spoke w/ Cimarron today & no word yet on the .44's. Damn Germans always get the best technology first!  :D ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com