Original 1860 with R&D type cylinder?

Started by Tuolumne Lawman, October 25, 2007, 10:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuolumne Lawman

It seems to me that shortly after I wrote my CC article on the Taylor's 1860, someone told me that there are examples of original 1860s with gunsmith 2 piece R&D type cylinders.  Anyone have that info?  Were they .44 Colt or 5 shot .46 RFs.  My Mc Dowell book is still packed, so I can't look it up.  I use an 1858 with a Kirst, and an 1860 Uberti with an R&D.  I'm trying to talk Walt into making a scaled up 49 Colt type in 45 for the 1860.  He is actually contemplating it now.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Dusty Morningwood

Hey TL:
Somewhere in my stored files I have a photograph of an 1860 converted this way that was listed in one of the large gun auctions (Julia?).  For all intents and purposes, it was identical to the R&D, having a firing pin for each chamber.  I honestly cannot remember the chambering or if it was a five or six shot.  There is noting new under the sun.

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

Wild Ben Raymond

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on October 25, 2007, 10:19:28 PM
It seems to me that shortly after I wrote my CC article on the Taylor's 1860, someone told me that there are examples of original 1860s with gunsmith 2 piece R&D type cylinders.  Anyone have that info?  Were they .44 Colt or 5 shot .46 RFs.  My Mc Dowell book is still packed, so I can't look it up.  I use an 1858 with a Kirst, and an 1860 Uberti with an R&D.  I'm trying to talk Walt into making a scaled up 49 Colt type in 45 for the 1860.  He is actually contemplating it now.
TL, I think you will be disapointed, in that there isn't any pictures in McDowells book of a 60' army conversion done with a 2 piece cylinder (at least I could not find any). Although, there is a picture of a 51' Navy done that way (not done by Colt of course) on page 386 of Bruce's book. WBR

Halfway Creek Charlie

There was , I believe an 1851 Navy for sale on Antiqueguns.com that had 6 firing pins held between 3 thin plates that were separate (as an assy) from the cylinder. That is the only one like that I have seen.
It appeared that the center of the 3 thin plates was spring material and the firing pins floated sandwitched between the outer plates.
Pretty neat setup, and I sure wished I'd have had the money for it, but.....We all know about that.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com