OK... so what sidearm do Spencer shooters wear???

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, October 24, 2007, 02:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel-eye Steve

Quote from: major on October 30, 2007, 11:20:14 AM
I only use my Spencer in 44-40 for reenacting now.  So if I had a revolver on my hip it would only slow me down.  I can load and fire the Spencer faster than I can any revolver.  So I no longer carry a revolver.
Major

I have to agree with you. When I'm dismounted, I almost never pull a revolver. I only really use revolvers when mounted.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

major

Steve
What caliber Spencer do you use for reenacting & why.  And what do you use for Blanks?
Major
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Tuolumne Lawman

For lack of better blanks, I have been using the Kershaw Cannon Co. copper color plastic blanks that Taylors and Dixie sell for both the original when I had it and the 56-50 Taylor's.  They suck, as they only hold about 15 grains of powder.  I am messing with 348 brass, and Ten-x makes full length 56-50 blanks, but the are about $1.25 a piece loaded, and I don't know if they can be reloaded.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

major

TL
If you are serious about using a Spencer for Reenacting then you need to get one in 44-40 and use 410 shotgun shells for blanks.  If I can get the shell free off the skeet field then I can make them for about 10 cents each and just leave them on the battle field.
You may have already read this but here is the link to the article about using a 44-40 Spencer for reenacting.
http://www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com/spencer_article.html
Major
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

Actually I read the article.  Excellent.  It almost caused me to go with a 44-40 (Tammy had them in stock too)>..  But, I just love the thump of a 350 grain, 50 caliber bullet at 1100fps!  I use exactly the same bullet in my Smith, though I only use real BP in it.  777 is too hot for the SMith.  I hope to use the Spencer to take a deer on my sisters 115 acres east of the Ozarks in MO next year,

Of course if I was rich, I could have a second one, but I am not, so.....  I could always sell my .5.56 M-4 1/7 with the Aimpoint M2... NOT!!!!!!!!!!  Now that I no longer live in Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, I can own an AR, I am not about to give it up.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Steel-eye Steve

Quote from: major on October 31, 2007, 02:10:17 PM
Steve
What caliber Spencer do you use for reenacting & why.  And what do you use for Blanks?
Major

.45 schofield. Blanks are made from .44 mag cases run into a .45 bullet nose forming swaging die, model 101 from C&H dies, http://www.ch4d.com/ , this creates a bullet nose on the blank, allowing it to feed through the mechanism. It also crimps in a plug of florist foam. The blanks are pretty cheap and I don't mind losing emptys on the "battlefield."
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com