OK... so what sidearm do Spencer shooters wear???

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, October 24, 2007, 02:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

I see alot of folks with odd lot side arms and rifles.

But, for us Spencer shooters, what do you go to town with?

My personal favorite is the 58Rem or 60army. (cap-n-ball)

Next year, I am packing a pair of Walkers for a stage. ;)

Two Flints

Hi Dakota,

Thanks for bringing this thread topic back to life.  I will just add that my .45 S&W Schofields are my handguns of choice, and this link to a previously similar posted topic/thread - http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,3263.0.html

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

PvtGreg

Sorry to disagree but a a pair of 8" 1958 Remington .45 LC conversions are the best!

Major 2

Quote from: PvtGreg on October 24, 2007, 03:17:02 PM
Sorry to disagree but a a pair of 8" 1958 Remington .45 LC conversions are the best!

I have one and like it... but I going to say my favorite my Type I Richards Conversions one by Kenny Howell and one USPFA
Both are pin point accurate
when planets align...do the deal !

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

I compromise.  I have an Uberti forged frame NMA (1858) with a Kirst non-gated 45 Colt/Schofield cylinder and an Uberti 1860 Colt with a .45 Colt/Schofield R&D cylinder.

I have a gated recoil plate and Mason type ejector rod for the 1858, but haven't goitten around to cutting the groove in the frame.

I use a Liberty II 12 gauge coach gun.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

panhead pete

1851 Navy Conversions in 38 Colt/38 Spl. of course!!  When the cylinders spin freely they are awesome!!  I shoot duelist and they sometimes need help rotating with my other hand.  They seem to work better with Pyrodex P than the Goex FFFg.  IMHO, they really compliment the mighty Spencer!  I will admit to using the Spencer on 2-3 stages and using my Uberti 73 Winnie for the others. 

Kind Regards,

Panhead     

Deadeye Don

I pack whatever looks good sitting in my gun safe at the time!!  I am probably drawn to the open tops or conversions though.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Bead Swinger

My OpenTop is what you'll see in the video - Definitely fun
Hanging in the Cross-draw holster is a .44 Russian
1860 Rifle SN 23954

bluesuit01

Pair of Pietta 1860 Colts, or a Uberti Third Model Dragoon, or a Pietta 1858 Remington. Depends on my mood, and which battle I'm doing.
Timothy Downey
I Company, 8th KY Cavalry
Spencer Shooting Society #96
Grand Army of the Frontier #408

French Jack

A Rogers & SPENCER conversion in .44 Colt, of course.   :D ::) ;)
French Jack

Major 2

Quote from: French Jack on October 25, 2007, 01:31:52 PM
A Rogers & SPENCER conversion in .44 Colt, of course.   :D ::) ;)

I'd sure like to know more about that one Jack ..any chance for some details & a photo or 2 ?

Four Sixes

I mainly use my Uberti 1858 Remington with .45LC conversion cyclinder and Ruger Vaquero .45LC. Occassionally I also use my .45 Colt 3rd gen Single Action.

As for my back up, I also carried my Euroarms black powder 1858 remington as "tomahawk". I could throw it down range to hit the missed target when nobody was looking...it certainly make a loud ping...heehee...just kidding  ;D

BTW...do anyone know where I could get a replacement wood grip for the Euroarms remington. The Uberti remington wood grip won't fit (I had already tried it). The one that is on my Euroarms remington is so "skinny" that it is not comfortable to hold the pistol. Any suggestion???? Thanks.

Four Sixes

Major 2

If memory serves , the EuroArms/Armi San Palo has the smallest grips.
I assume your Uberti Grips were to big ? Pietta would be even larger...that being the case, you could get an unfinished set from VTI and shape them to fit.

or try Stophel a member on this BB he just modified his grip frame maybe his old grips can be had  :-\

Another option is a set of Ivory or stag Polymer from www.gripmaker.com these too will require final fitting.

excuse the sidtrack  :) back to the original  ? "... so what sidearm do Spencer shooters wear??? "

Harve Curry

A new C  :) LT SAA 44spl is my eveyrday companion with or without Spencer.

Steel-eye Steve

If shooting Cap n Ball, a single action Starr and a 1860 snubnose Colt. If shooting cartridge, a Gren 1861 Navy conversion in .38 LC and a "58" Remington with a .45 LC R&D cylinder. If reenacting, Starr Double actions.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Hard Mouth

M'self, I'm lookin' at French Jack's path. Got some '58 Rems, but favor the idea of the R&S. Got a Euroarms w/ a R&D conversion (as well as the C&B cyl.), and an original conversion (modified original cylinder (#s match), gated, single firing pin on backplate). Ain't neither one quite ready to shoot yet, but near to! Course the original be for special occassions only...

Got my eye out fer 'nother Euro, iff'n anybody needs to be rid of one...

geo

a double action starr or a rogers and spencer...and extra cylinders for three fast reloads each. geo.

major

I only use my Spencer in 44-40 for reenacting now.  So if I had a revolver on my hip it would only slow me down.  I can load and fire the Spencer faster than I can any revolver.  So I no longer carry a revolver.
Major
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Tubac

Major 2,

Here is a photo of a Rogers & Spencer converted to .44 Colt.
The grips are from Tombstone.

Tubac

from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Capt Clancey Mitarwan

A brace of 1851 Navies on the Dark Side, a Wells Fargo Schofield and Ruger Single-Six otherwise. An external hammer double rounds out the armament, though I have a brand new 1887 to try.
Service before self.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com