How Did You Get Started In Leatherworking?

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, October 15, 2007, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailrider

Howdy, Pards,

When I was still in high school, I made a few holsters for myself.  I didn't have time to do much in college, but made a couple of rifle scabbards for my hunting rifles.  When I was in the Air Force, my section OIC happened to see some of this stuff.  He had bought a (2nd Gen) Colt's Buntline Special, and needed a holster for the long barrel and a belt to go with it.  I said, if he paid for the materials, I'd do it, and did. That was about 1967 or so. (A year ago, at a reunion, I ran into him up Cheyenne way. I asked what happened to that holster and belt. He said he still has and uses it, every time he goes out in the woods near his home! See, quality leatherwork will last!)

After I got out of the service, I got to shooting more and more, and several people asked if I could make rigs for them, too.  After awhile, even though I was working full time and raising a family, I started charging and eventually (1975) got a retail sales license and registered a trademark with the secretary of state's office.  I used whatever profit I had for...what else...paying for new "toys" for myself.  After leaving the aerospace industry for the last time, in 1989 (not by choice, mind you), I turned the hobby into a full-time business.  It ain't rocket science, (and it doesn't help if you used to be one!  ::) ), but it pays bills.

So that's the story.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Tommy tornado

I got started in 2004 while visiting my parents in Elgin, IL.  My Dad took me to the newly opened Tandy Leather Factory because he wanted to buy thin leather for making Bumer's Cap straps.  While there he asked if I wanted to buy anything, and pointed out the Wil Ghromley holster packs.  I bought the '49er packet and the Stolholm Holster book.  The guy at the store made holsters for fun, and I thought I could do it.  Plus I could make holsters that would otherwise cost me big bucks to buy from someone else.  Got back home to Mo. City and found a local Tandy Leather Factory and began to buy tools.  My coolest find came from my Dad.  He found a WWI saddle horse bench at a garage sale.  He bought it for next to nothing and sent it to me.  All I had to do was make new replacement straps for the jaws.  Since then I have been making holsters and selling them to cover the cost of buying more leather.  I rarely ever make a profit.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Capt. Jack McQuesten

I am just getting started playing around with leather. On a recent vacation to NM, I stopped in at Two Bears Trading Post in Ruidoso and picked up two medicine bags. When I got back to the cabin, I took a look at them and tought I would try my hand at making a few myself. So, I got some leather scraps, sinew, a pack of needles and a few beads and conchos and went to work. Here are a few I put togther (The light tan ones are the two I got from Two Bears... I added the beads and conchos to them) :

This one has some rattlesnake vertabrae added to it:

As you can see, I am also trying my hand at tacking up my tomahawk. It is a work in progress:

My next project is to make a sheath for a small "Patch knife" I have. I wil post pics when I get it done. I plan to eventually work my way up to making holsters and rifle scabbards......
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Sawdust Jim

What a fun thread!
I started some time around 1967, when I was 14. We would visit my grandparents every summer, who lived in a small town on the Oregon coast, and there was NOTHING to do. We had horses and I was interested in the "Old West", so when a Tandy store opened near by it seemed like the perfect thing. By 1974 I had been going to a number of craft fairs and opened my own shop.  It put me through school and kept things going until I moved to Oregon in 1982. Now, after frying my knees and back as a woodworker/cabinet maker for 25 years, I am going back to leatherwork.

Jim
SASS # 62093

Dalton Masterson

As a jr high and high school kid with a few cap and ball pistols, I needed holsters. I was also broke (high school kid). So I ended up buying a bag of latigo scraps, and made some very very soft and pliable holsters. Used them for many years, and even my first CAS match.
Then I decided to bite the bullet, bought a shoulder of leather, found some old tools here and there, and now am making and selling holsters part time. Did it all on a trial and error basis, until 2004 when I bought some books, and that made a BIG difference.

Just today I was sorting through an old box of patterns and leather scraps, and found a floral carving I had attempted back then. Yikes, quite a difference between then and now. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Talk about a "Yikes!" moment:  Everytime I see some of the early holsters I've done, I want to crawl in a whole, (or steal the leather so no one else will see it!).  Once, one guy showed me an early holster I'd made him, (I've been hit in the head too many times to remember much).  I took one look at it an said, "Here, let me have that.  I'll make you a brand new one so you don't have to show that to anyone else."  I was seriouse.  He said, "No way!  This is one of the first holsters you ever made.  Look, your maker's mark is tooled by hand, before you had your first stamp.  I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world!"

As a teen-ager in the early '70s, I began making moccasins and pouches to supply my buck-skinnin' habit.  As a dirt poor cowboy in the early '80s, I made my own gear just so I could do my job.  I learned to make saddles by repairing the gear on the ranches I was workin'.  When I got out of the Army in the early '90s, I didn't much fit in anywhere.  I walked into a gun shop with a buscadero holster I had made from scratch and asked the guy, "You have any need for custom made gun leather?"

The guy looked at the rig and said, "We don't have any call for somethin' like this, but if you could make this..." and pulled out a copy of "Packin' Iron", "we could sure put you to some use."  Well, that was it for me.  I'd never heared tell of Western Action Shootin'", but I sure learned in a hurry.  I had my kit together and was shootin' by the next spring.  I sold leather at the shoots to add to my outfit and pay for my weekends.  By '93 I was makin' more money in my spare time than workin' on my job.

I started out January '94 workin' for myself.  Since then, it's been boom or bust.  I've been homeless and destitute.  I've also had shinin' moments when folks thought what I did was somethin' out of the ordinary.  Through it all, I've been driven to keep at it by one thought, "I don't want to go back to workin' for a livin!"  So, I keep pluggin' away, tryin' every which way to make it pay.  Best of all, I'm happy.  I enjoy what I'm doin', and I've learned to be content with what I've got.  So, workin' leather seems to have worked out for me.  It also allowes me the flexible schedule I need to serve God, and an income so I don't have to charge folks for the honor of bringin' 'em God Word.  You gott'a love it!

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Seth Shaw

I just recently began leather crafting upon the recommendation of my wife. She is a seamstress, patternmaker and tailor - very good I might add! We recently became interested in CAS and joined SASS. She is making all our clothing, so I was tasked with learning to make gun leather :)

I've almost finished my 1st gun rig - Strong side single loop and a cross draw single loop on a 3" Ranger belt w/ 20 .45LC loops. It's been an amazing learning experience. I'm happy with the results thus far and I can't wait to start on my next attempt, applying everything I've learned.

Does anyone have any recommendations for DVD's? Where I can pick up some good patterns that illustrate the various styles (Mexican Double Loop, Slim Jim, Buscadero, Fast Draw etc). I have 3 or 4 of the "must have" beginners texts from Al.

I'll try and get some pictures up tonight. I'm glad I found this little corner of the internet, it's really boosted my enthusiasm and excitement about leatherworking.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

Dalton Masterson

I havent seen it yet, but everyone recommends this one. http://www.wrtcleather.com/tr-books/books-1.shtml
I have it on my Xmas list. ;D 
Cant wait for your pictures, and welcome! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, Seth. Good to see you with us on the Leather Forum. No better reason to do leather than to get your own stuff. Nice that your wife can make the clothes, too. Be sure to post pics of your rig on the "Show Your Stuff" thread. Here's the link

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Cliff Fendley

So what's your story? The thread where Ace is asking if anyone wanted to get into the craft got me wondering how everyone gets into the craft.

I guess many just follow in the footsteps of their fathers or mentors.

I was first introduced to it in 4H and my Great Grandfather on my Dad's side dabbled in leathercraft as did my Step mom after my Dad remarried.

So I guess with me it was just around me and I somehow must have shown enough interest to get my own set of Tandy tools for Christmas probably around 8 or 10 years old.

I never did work for others too much until recent years, I would just do our own repairs or made items when we needed them around the farm or if I just wanted something. Never really had the money or knew where to buy any custom stuff so just had to do my best at making it myself.

I never really had a dedicated leather work area until the last several years. Up until then I'd drag my box of tools and supplies out and do it on the kitchen table or drag a saddle up on the back porch. Just whatever would work.

That's the neat thing about the hobby I tell people, you don't really need a big place to do it (especially for small items) and you can get into it with a fairly limited amount of tools. I'm proud to say I'm responsible for getting a few people trying the craft.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

ChuckBurrows

I started as a Cub Scout which was 50 years ago. I continued studying and since I've always been enamored with the frontier west much of my impetus went in that dirction. Over time I spread my interest wider inlcuding medieaval and more cowboy gear, especially after working as a hand for a while in the late 1960's and early 1970's.
About that time I also delved into tactical gear, mostly at the behest of some friends who were in the Military and wanted something special or different.
All along the way I studied the history of leather craft and even "apprenticed" with different makers of various leather whenever I could and I'm still learning.....
Sold my first gear circa 1968 and have been doing it as a business at least part time ever since - went full time about 12 years ago and now I'm too old and too ornery to work for someone else so the good Lord willing I'll be doing this until the day I pass on.....the only thing better than working to make a living at something I have such a deep and abiding passion for  - I do only my first love - "period" leather craft now - would to win the lottery and do it as a hobby!  ;)

FWIW - The biggest belt I ever made was 72" - guy was 6' 8" and weighed 475...........

Mr. Shaw - along with my DVD that Dalton pointed out I would recommend Will Ghormley's patterns for "correct" period patterns

QuoteThat's the neat thing about the hobby I tell people, you don't really need a big place to do it (especially for small items) and you can get into it with a fairly limited amount of tools.
Yep you got that right Cliff - most folks who see my "shop" - an 8' x 12" bedromm for the nasty stuff and a corner of the lving room for the "clean" stuff, just shake their heads in wonder and ask how I do it......well the answer is to just do it no matter the circumstances and there have been times when I had even less space, but that seldom stopped me.........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Curley Cole

10W

Well me and my ex were for sure hippies, we did lots of crafty stuff, I sold indian jelelry I got from a girl in AZ outta tool box, I made bulletin boards outta wash boards, made some of my own jewelry. I haven't bought a ready made belt in about 40 years. I got to know the owner of my local Tandys and took some toolin lessons. I got some patterns and made some holsters and still can make my own roughout check book covers.
HOwever, after 43 years of workin with Developmentally Disabled and mentally ill patients and many of them dangerous murderers, I have enough injuries to end up with really bad pain, and lost hand work is the least. So my leather crafting and guitar playin is gone. So I just watch you guys do yer magic.
also, 10W if yer ever inclined, come on down and me and Old Top will give you the grand tour of the matches around here. (I even have a spare room if ya didn't like the drive home.) Would love to meet ya and hang with some of the local cowboys.
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

santee

I'm still a newbie, and mine doesn't have the impact of the others. But, here goes:
Got into old west reenacting after years of CAS. Found out my expensive custom leather was getting chewed up from all the falls when I got "killed", and buying cheap replacements wasn't doing it for me mentally. So one day I decided: I'll give it a go and make something that I really want, I'll experience something new, and it'll satiate my creative side.
Then I hopped on this board, and the rest is history.
Gotta go, I'll be late to my LWA meeting (Leather Workers Anonymous). :P
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

GunClick Rick

Ya know Van Gogh went crazy smellin all that stuff,then he cut off a piece of his ear ;D

I still like my key fob Ten Wolves made though.. ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

theshoer

I got started not to long after my oldest brother returned from Viet Nam. He messed around with leather work for a while then I started doing it, then he quit not long after. I don't do a lot and most of what I have done has been done since I joined SASS
I may not be the most important person in your life, but when you hear my name, I hope you smile and say That's My Friend

Kid Terico

I always wanted to be a cowboy but being a orphan couldnt afford all the gear. Retired 12 years ago and was bored for 7 -8 years and wanted to do some thing and guess what? Here I am trying to pound out some rigs for fun. Going to learn one of these days if I live that long.  ;D ;D KT 

TN Mongo

I had a double major in college in art and history and I have always done art or crafts stuff since I was a kid.  In 1977 I walked into a Tandy store to buy a holster kit, because I couldn't find something locally for a .32 Colt auto pocket pistol.  The holster turned out OK and I started teaching a unit on leather stamping in the art classes I was teaching at a middle school.  Our big project was a stamped belt.  For about 5 years I was making tooled belts for everyone and other small items like dart cases.

I changed teaching jobs and got out of leather except for an occasional holster for new pistols I acquired until I stumbled into cowboy action shooting about 8 years ago.  I spent over $2000 on new guns and had a rig of cheap holsters and a belt from Cabela's.  At the first shoot I attended, I started to admire some of the leather I saw.  Some of it was Kirkpatrick or Mernickle stuff, but some was from a talented local maker who was glad to answer my questions.  After finding out how expensive good rigs were, I too uttered those fateful words.  "I think I could make this stuff."

My first cowboy holsters turned out alright, so a fellow shooter asked I could make a rig for him.  That rig turned out even better and things started to "snowball".  I still haven't been able to "make the leap" to full time, but this has become a profitable hobby and a possible retirement career.  Every project is a learning experience and I have enjoyed every minute of it.  My only problem now is that my real job gets in the way of my important stuff (shooting and making leather). 

Arizona Cattleman

Well, mine is not so dramatic or inspiring.  I used to be a woodworker as a hobby.  After loosing the house in a divorce, I put all my tools in storage and took up Bass fishing.  Then one day my back went out when I was on the lake and it took me most of the day to get back to the dock and get the boat out of the water and on the trailer.  Haven't been out since.  Always liked the Cowboy way and learned about SASS.  Bought my first gun and needed a holster.  Bought one from Cabellas, still use the 40 cartridge belt, but didn't like the holster.  Found this forum and learked about for a while then found a Tandy and bought a hat band and star conchos and the rest is history.  That was about 1  year ago, and this is one hobby I really enjoy and can do in my limited space(old motor home).  Of course the support and knowledge from the friends I have met here have made this a very enjoyable trip.  I an 63 and looking to retire soon, then look out I might just get a lot better.....  Just kidding.  KT, I wish I had
a 10th of your talent.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it....... ;D

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Marshal Will Wingam

I thought I had a post on how I got started but looking back over the posts, I see I didn't. So....

After I got back from VN in 1968, I would hang around the local leather shop in Seacliff, CA (near Santa Cruz) which was just around the corner from where I lived. I bought a motorcycle jacket from them but was particularly fascinated by the purses, belts and other stuff the owner made. I spent a lit of time watching him work and asked lots of questions. I learned quite a bit about dyes, finishes, cutting leather and burnishing edges. He let me make my own belt (assembled with a couple speedy rivets) and I was hooked. A few years later while living in Bakersfield, I bought a handful of carving tools and taught myself to tool leather. In the mid 70's, I stopped by a saddlemaker to have him sew something for me. Instead of doing that, he taught me how to stitch leather. After I finished the project, I showed it to him. He hired me on the spot and I worked for him for a while, learning way more about leatherworking. After that, I kept working leather for my own uses. I'm still at it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com