AFTER the Eastern Regional

Started by Steel Horse Bailey, October 14, 2007, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend today's (Sun) activities, but the main match yesterday was a real hoot of a Shoot!  Dutch wrote some interesting scenarios, most based on actual events, the weather was beautiful, and we had a great crowd - lots of our usual suspects, but including many out-of-state friends we were happy to have. 

YES - River City John yodeled 'thru one stage.  No - those of us on his posse DIDN'T threaten him to do it!  ;D  He's got a pretty good voice, too!  ::)

James Hunt, Monterrey Jack Brass as well as GW and his faithful companion, Deadeye Junior (David), set up really great looking OLDE camps and GW's famous coffee was had by all who wished it.  Will Henry brought some killer chili to share with all, that didn't even last long enough to get properly heated up, it was so good!

I was unable to attend the banquet, so I'll let others post the results, but I CAN say that the usual group of shooters seemed in good form - like Irish Dave, Texas Jack Stephens, French Jack, Jed Cooper, JD Goodguy, Ima Sureshot and many others.

I think it's fair to say that a good time was had by all!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Tjackstephens

Steel Horse, was sure good to see and get to talk to you again.  I was under the weather, but was glad I got to finish the shoot. See you down the trail.TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Dutch Limbach

Steel Horse, and anyone else that is interested, the results have been posted at:
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/results.htm
And some pictures are now posted at:
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/regional07.htm

On Sunday, G. W. put on the Side Matches. The first one was a "Silver Dollar Shoot". The "Silver Dollars" were actually silver dollar sized aluminum discs that were hung by wire on a frame that was set at a challenging, but fair, distance for revolvers.

The Hangman Match had a weighted bag hanging by a noose, and the shooter was given 3 shots to cut the rope so the bag would drop to the ground. And lo and behold if young Deadeye Jr. didn't accomplish this feat with his lever action .22!

The Precision Pistol Match was 5 shots at a small swinger set at a VERY challenging distance. Will Henry ended up winning this with his cap and ball revolver.

And the Team Shoot had 4 man teams compete against each other to shoot a 2x4 in half. The winning team had a member shooting a shotgun. The losing team didn't! Since I was on the losing team, obviously we need to legislate shotguns out of an such matches in the future! ;D

I hope everyone that attende had a good time, and look forward to seeing you all again very soon.

Dutch
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

River City John

It was perfect shooting weather, and the range has a great setting.
Got to see lots of old friends and met some new ones.

Thanks to all the GLF&M Co. bunch for their work in putting this on.

And yes, while no one forced me to yodel. . . .I was surrounded by quite a few armed citizens, and Peevine kept gleefully pointing me out as "the Yahoo who wrote that yodeling stage at the National". 'Nuff said. ;)

Going to unload and get all the gear squared away, and clean the shootin' irons. The Baby Rolling Block carbine received a lot of attention and was passed around for test firing several times. Oddly, the universal comment was that it would make a great deer rifle. (I made note that no one proclamed it would make a great cowboy action rifle. . . . :P ;D)

Dusty and I had fun and spent the return travel time revisiting the days events.

See everyone at the Convention in Kansas City.
RCJ      
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Trap

But i'll bet you weren't asked NOT to bring it back!
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

James Hunt

I would also like to thank the GLF&M Co. for all of their efforts in putting this shoot on. You could not ask for a oldernicer bunch of fellas ;D! They are really tops when it comes to making you feel welcome. And, what a great setting for a shoot. Very rural, makes you feel as if you are on someones frontier. A few critters pastured nearby to include a longhorn steer are there to make you forget that the country is full of I-whatever the number now. And a really great area to camp - OK so we were smack in the middle of the long range course, we checked and there were no holes in the canvas when we left.

If you missed this shoot you missed a great group of people in a great environment. Thanks to RCJ and Dusty for traveling as far as they did to hold up the National part of the National Congress of Old West Shootists, it was great seeing you two.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Silver Creek Slim

Sounds like a great time. One of these years I'll attend.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

gw

I too hope all that attended had a good time. It's always good to see the folks we don't shoot with or see very often come to our little range and have a good time. My hats off to those who traveled (at all hours and so many miles) to attend. I know what that takes, and the GLFM&Co. posse certainly appreciates your effort. Thank you for coming! ;D
     Now, to set the record straight, our 2x4 shoot team did in fact have a shotgun, but at the conclusion of the event, it was discovered that one of "our" team member's rifle had jammed after the first shot and was not able to shoot at all after that. So, what this really means is that "our" team won the event with a shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .38 rifle. Three guns to four, and we still whooped them handily! :o I suppose next year they'll want us to just use pistols! ;D
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Deadeye Don

And the competition remains fierce!!!
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Deadeye Don on October 16, 2007, 08:25:09 AM
And the competition remains fierce!!!

Don,

Competition is one thing, but GW and his crew are downright gamey!
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Deadeye Don

OMG...........Gamers in NCOWS?? 

Steel Horse Bailey

Don, he didn't say they were Gamers, he said they were GAMEY !!!   :o
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadeye Don

Stinky??  lol   Well GW was camping out for a few days so.......... :-\

Irish Dave

I'd like to take a moment and extend a big "Thank you" to all who played a part in a super Eastern Regional. From Will Henry, GW, Dutch and all the Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co. folks including our local regular shooters all the way to those who traveled great distances to participate, I have to say well done.

Those of us "back east" here know what it's like to make the long haul for NCOWS events and how much time, effort, expense and dedication it requires. River City John and Dusty Tagalon made the monumental trip from the NE/IA area. James Hunt and Monterrey Jack Brass came down from Michigan. And there was French Jack, Rowdy, Jim and Celeste Mullins, Texas Jack and more from the Bluegrass State.  To them I want to acknowledge their commitment to NCOWS and say that without their participation it couldn't have been the success and wonderful time that it was.

I think all had a great time. The stages were varied and fun. The competition fierce. The dinner was outstanding and the socializing was top-shelf. Can't ask for more.

Again, well done and thanks to all.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

French Jack

It was Shining Times.  Thanks to Dutch, Will Henry, and all that put it on.  We had a good one again.  See you next year if the Good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise.
French Jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com