How 'bout this..."least favorite Western"...

Started by Stophel, October 13, 2007, 09:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stophel

What about your least favorite westerns?  Of course you know that by answering the question, you will immediately make for yourselves many enemies...but come on, cowboy up!  Which westerns do you simply NOT like?

Here's mine:  Monte Walsh.  I don't so much hate it as I think that the entire story could have easily been told (without leaving out ANYTHING) within one hour, rather than...117 minutes...wow, it seemed much longer. ::)

Lonesome Dove.  Yes, I know, the "masterpiece".  I tried watching this for the first time the other day.  Made it about an hour.  Almost the entire hour was devoted to all the various characters wanting to get a "poke" at the local whore. Come on.  It was all I could stand, and I just couldn't go any further.  I might try to watch it again later, but I don't know.

And the mother of all....Dances with Wolves.  Egad.  The most excruciating movie I have ever endured (though "Field of Dreams" comes mighty close...another Costner winner).

Well, your turn, and just remember, sticks and stones may break your bones, but names can never hurt you!  ;D
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

dakotaranger

The western I think is the most over rated and for me is High Noon.  The 1957 version of 3:10 to Yuma vastly superior.

Costner's Wyatt Earp could fall into the worst catagory.

But honestly I think any of the Spagetti westerns are the worst.  The only spaggetti type that I liked was Hang 'em high.
Westerns are supposed to celebrate who we are as Americans, and cheer heroes.  Not make heroes of bad guys.
If the pen is truely mightier than the sword, they why do so many people weild crayons

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Stophel on October 13, 2007, 09:34:26 PM
What about your least favorite westerns?  Of course you know that by answering the question, you will immediately make for yourselves many enemies...but come on, cowboy up!  Which westerns do you simply NOT like?

Here's mine:  Monte Walsh.  I don't so much hate it as I think that the entire story could have easily been told (without leaving out ANYTHING) within one hour, rather than...117 minutes...wow, it seemed much longer. ::)

Lonesome Dove.  Yes, I know, the "masterpiece".  I tried watching this for the first time the other day.  Made it about an hour.  Almost the entire hour was devoted to all the various characters wanting to get a "poke" at the local whore. Come on.  It was all I could stand, and I just couldn't go any further.  I might try to watch it again later, but I don't know.

And the mother of all....Dances with Wolves.  Egad.  The most excruciating movie I have ever endured (though "Field of Dreams" comes mighty close...another Costner winner).

Well, your turn, and just remember, sticks and stones may break your bones, but names can never hurt you!  ;D

Try posting this on the SASS website and see what happens.   :D  I think you just dont care for the little movie term called  "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT".  In my humble opinion it is what separates a fair movie from a great movie.   Regards. Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Mossyrock

"Lust in the Dust".  I double-dog-dare you to admit if you have watched it.   ;D
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Stophel

"Character development", eh?

In "Monte Walsh", I think the Selleck character was developed plenty...to the point of overexposure.  What I would have liked to have seen was perhaps just a LITTLE less attention to Selleck (who wants to be a cowboy, and will always be a cowboy...), and maybe just a LITTLE more on Shorty (Eads), who just kind of drifts in and out of the story line.  They should have followed him around some as he broke bad and fell in with the outlaws.  Again, I don't hate this movie, it just was really slow for me.

I think "Conagher" was a real good movie, and I bet lots of folks would consider this movie "slow".

I tried to watch "Lonesome Dove" some more.  Made it all the way through the first two whole episodes.  The Characters were "developed" fine, it's just that I didn't really care for any of the characters, except perhaps for poor July.  It was all pretty bizarre to me, and just didn't suit me.  Then I realized that McMurtry was the one responsible for "Brokeback Mountain"...no wonder! :D

"Dances with Wolves"...well....  two words: Kevin Costner.  ;D

Hey, Costner's "Wyatt Earp" was on CMT the other night, so I thought I would record it while I went to do something else.  I turned on the VCR and walked away (yes, I still have a VCR...).  Three hours later I came back, the VCR had run out of tape and rewound, and the movie was still on! With an hour left to go!  Wow.  Didn't realize it was four hours long.  Well, I wasn't going to get to see the middle part of the movie, so I haven't watched any of it.

Sure, the Spaghetti westerns are bad, but they're "supposed" to be bad.  No one ever claimed them to be cinematic masterpieces, and some of them can be downright entertaining.

"Sooner or later, I rub everybody the wrong way" - Jack Burton.

Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Major 2

The worst ?

well for me it's ..."The Valley of the Gwangi "    even the great Ray Harryhausen could not help this stinker
Cowboys VS Tyrannosaurs Rex... yep !  ::)

My worst Pet peave film...  :-X
I'll go with ..."Comancharos" The great Duke himself , a Texas Ranger of Republic of Texas  1836-1842
Gun Runner Lee Marvin sold 1892 Winchesters to indians, and the Duke carries his 73 Colt !
The propman really was not on the ball.  ::) 

when planets align...do the deal !

Stophel

I do SOOO hate gun anachronisms in movies.  '73 Winchesters and Colts in the 1860's are, of course, the big offenders. The Civil War soldier comes home and brings his lever action .44-40 Winchester rifle with him..... A lot of movies will have cartridge guns before they were even invented.

Even in the fairly recent movie "The Long Riders", I saw one or two swing-out cylinder double action Colt revolvers.  They did look like some of the earliest 1890-something models, but still too new for the movie.  Also Keith Carradine carried a single shot shotgun...problem is that it was one that had the trigger-type push button break down on the front of the triggerguard, like 1940s-1950s...I forget what brand it was, Savage?  Kind of odd, considering they had some other "good" guns like S&W #3's.

Major 2

Yep ! and Buscadro rigs , modern tack on horses ( bucking rolls and Barrel racing saddles... stamped curb bits )

45/70 Springfield rifles & carbines in 1850-1865 era films, or worst converted to a flintlock style hammer (welded on)
re Disney !
when planets align...do the deal !

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Midnight Cowboy, :o >:( ???   Boy did I get tricked

Ten Wolves
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

The Elderly Kid

The first episode of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" was loaded with anachronisms. My favorite was the Protestant minister who wore a cross on a cord around his neck. In the 1800s and well into the 20th century no Protestant, minister or layperson, would be caught dead wearing a cross or crucifix. They were considered idolatrous and only Catholics, Roman or Eastern Orthodox, wore them. Somebody must have pointed this out because in later episodes the cross disappeared.

Stophel

I haven't seen the episode, but I thought I was the only one who would ever notice such a thing!  :)

Tubac

Gents,
On the religious topic. The pistol in 3:10 to Yuma with the Crucifix from a Rosary in the grip seems really over the top.
Say what you want but Arizona was very Protestant until the Mexican revolution.

Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Stophel

I do 18th century, and crosses were VERY rarely seen in any capacity within Protestant (or "Radical Reformation") Christianity.  The cross and any other symbol smacked of Popery and idolatry.

Mogorilla

Well, I have seen Lust in the Dust, and I admit I laughed.    Their are two on my least liked list, Blueberry aka The Renegade, Vincent Cassel and Michael Madsen and total garbage.   More of a promote Ayahuasca for everyone, not just Native Americans, and South of Heaven, West of Hell  would be my next least liked.

Russ T Chambers

Well Mogorilla, now that someone else has admitted it, I too have seen "Lust in the Dust".  I was in Virginia City NV dressed period and carrying (complete with spurs).  One of the people from one of the store was on break sitting on a bench on the wooden sidewalk.  She made a comment to the effect of "nice pair of jingle bobs".  She then explained that the comment came from "Lust in the Dust", and she sure wished she co9uld find a copy to watch again.  Got home found it on Amazon.com and ordered it.  Had to watch it, then took it up to VC and gave it to her.
My favorite part was when the map was put together and the meaning of "Twin Buttes" became clear as "Twin Butts".
Still ranks as a RANK western.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Deadeye Don

THREE BAD MEN.    Available from Netflix.  Worst movie I have ever seen.  Poor George Kennedy.  Sigh.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Tubac

Deadeye,
Boy you're right, "Three Bad Men" was really horrible!

Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

The Avocado Kid

Quote from: Deadeye Don on October 15, 2007, 07:36:07 AM
Try posting this on the SASS website and see what happens.   :D  I think you just dont care for the little movie term called  "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT".  In my humble opinion it is what separates a fair movie from a great movie.   Regards. Deadeye.
Deadeye....you are right on the money here.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Stophel

Yeah, I know, I'm different.  Always have been, always will be. 

I also thought HALO sucked...which was universally hailed as the greatest video game of all time!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com