Got my Open Tops- at last

Started by Dai.S.Loe, October 07, 2007, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dai.S.Loe

Talked my mate down in price and we agreed to a figure.

A pair of open tops with custom grips and spare 7" barrels.

.38 spl

Sold my Uberti 18582 to help with the funds.

Now to get rid of the Bounty Hunters and just stay withthe open tops.

What are these like to fire with black powder?

How much 3f will go into a case?

Going to be fun finding all these things out.

One thing I will have to do is open the back sight out a bit. My old eyeshave trouble witht the little V notch.

Dai.
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Forty Rod

Cuzzin Dai, you ought to know better than to put up a thread like that without PICTURES!!!

Congrats on the new shooters.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

litl rooster

Quote from: Forty Rod on October 07, 2007, 07:45:43 PM
Cuzzin Dai, you ought to know better than to put up a thread like that without PICTURES!!!

Congrats on the new shooters.

ditto

just fill the case stuff a bullet atop, point at a target squeeze and smile
Mathew 5.9

Deadeye Don

I agree with Forty Rod.   Where are da pictures??
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Flint

Because the gas ring keeps black powder fouling off the cylinder arbor, the Opentops will shoot through a CAS match without fouling to a stop.  That's my experience with bp loaded 44 Russian, at least.  Grease it up to start with bore butter and you should be good to go.

Hope they work out for you.

I bought mine (44 Colt and 44 Special) and shoot 44 Russian in them.  I also bought barrels and cylinders in both 38 Special and 45 Schofield, and have two barrel lengths for the 44s.  My favorite combination remains the 44, however.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I;m usin' 18-19 grains of FFF in my R-Ms under the RCBS .38-140-CM
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dai.S.Loe

I'm not too good with cameras.

Always too critical of the results and never satisfied.

Got these pistols from a mate. He dropped his asking price by $400 just for me, an offer I couldnt refuse.

Chambered for .38 spl (new dies, moulds, brass now needed).

They are the Uberti clones with the steel back strap rather than the brass, not that it makes much of a difference as the trigger guard and backstrap have been nickle plated.

The grips are a very dark brown and have an  medalion of the  "End of Trail" scene set into each.

They came with 5" and 7" barrels. They have also had a gunsmith job done and they are as smooth as silk with a very positive lockup.

Now to get ready to shoot them.

I havent been on the board much lately as I have been a little knackered.

3 motorcycle accidents in 3 months.

1st was a hit and run by a car, on the motorway in rush hour traffic. Broken bike, bruised body and broken collar bone with an AC joint really done in.

2nd was just a small drop on a new raod. Bruises and such with more damage to bike.

3rd one I highsided over the bars when I hit a very bad bump in the road surface while on a lean into a corner.
Broken ribs, 1 crushed vertabrae, broken finger, 3 joints in my neck dislocated.

Im 51 years old soon and I think I'm trying to ge in that many parts by then.

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Dai;   Or is it die slow?  There is a message, give up the bike and stick to a nice safe sport like playin' guns!

Good to see you back on the forums. ( I'm at least a decade older than you and I haven't had any motorbike accidents.  Get the message?)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

65bsaA65

Dai, what do you ride?  You can tell from my screen name what my choice of bike is; I figure you being a KiWi you probably appreciate old British iron.
I had a bad get off 12-13 years ago.  Main injuries were multiple skull fractures.  I spent 10 days in a coma; and a year in a mental fog that gradually lifted.  I was wearing a helmet at the time.  I have some nice silver and stainless appliances in the old bean now.
I still ride, and intend to as long as I can drape my carcass across a motorcycle   It did change my riding habits;  I no longer play ricky-road-racer everytime I hit the street; and I no longer drink alcohol when I ride.
Ride careful, brother.  The older we get, the longer it takes to heal.  Remember that every car on the road is an enemy; in all likelihood piloted by someone who probably is unaware of your existence.
Congrats on the open-top acquisitions.  I don't have one yet; have to be content with my '51 navies with R&D cyls.
Motorcycles, black powder, decent-looking women; righteous dogs!  And an occasional parachute jump!  What more could a man want?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com