Hair-on deer hide.... Anyone use it?

Started by Marshal Tac, September 27, 2007, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Tac

I have a tanned deer hide from a hunt that I took several years ago. It's from a large whitetail deer and was professionally tanned. The hair side looks perfect, but there is a mended spot in the center of the flesh side from the shotgun slug hole, that has some stitching that was used to close the hole.

I am curious if anyone has any use for a hide like this, beyond just hanging it up or draping it for decoration?

My wife re-decorated, and this hide is no longer of use. If there is a leather crafter out there who is interested in it for a project, let me know. Otherwise, it's headed to long term storage.
-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Slowhand Bob

WOW, great offer and the best price I ever did see.  There are several users here who should be able to put that hide to great use.  We gots a couple of guys here who can make it look right out of an old chiefs teepee.

Major 2

I've made some nice knife scabbards & possibles bags with hair on hides...
when planets align...do the deal !

Nolan Sackett

I'm interested  - How much or are you interested in trade?
aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Buffalow Red

wood make a cool looking case for a muzzleloader like mine
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Capt. Augustus

Back when I was mountain manning, I used a hair on skin for a knapsack.  It was just the right size folded by 3rds.

Marshal Tac

-Marshal Tac
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Nolan Sackett

aka Chuck Burrows

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, if anyone makes something out of it, we expect pictures. ;)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Marshal Tac

I'd be interested in photo's too... There is some sentimental attachment (not enough to anger the wife over!  ;D ), as this was my first ever white-tailed deer. (AZ territory has lots of Muley's, but not many white-tailed deer.)
-Marshal Tac
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Nolan Sackett

I will do it justice Marshall Tac and yes there will be pictures, but it will take a while....
The "plan" is to make a robe out of it - something along the lines of the following - combining a center beaded or quilled strip and rosettes along with painting..

aka Chuck Burrows

Marshal Will Wingam

Those are some nice robes, pard. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished item.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Travis Morgan

What's the best way to de-hair one? My lady shick pink razoer ain't gettin' it. Anyone used Nair?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com