Custom Boots?

Started by SmugglerSteve, September 21, 2007, 09:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmugglerSteve

I'm wondering if any members out there have gotten custom fit boots. I'd like to know where they got them from and how well they fit. I have feet that just don't take to cowboy boots. I'm fortunate to live in a part of the country where there are western wear stores. I found some boots that fit okay after trying on 100's. They're actually one size smaller than my usual size 14's. When I wear them for a match, I don't have blisters or sore spots but my feet sure hurt by the end of the day.

I'm about to start wearing boots a lot more often now. The kids have moved out and we've bought a horse property and are about to get the horses. My wife and  were raised riding all the time and this has been in our plans.

I've seen ads for places that do boots custom fit to your feet. They use molds if they're working long distance. Places like http://www.earthwalkers.biz/boots.html.

I'd like a set period correct enough to CAS and good for riding. Anybody here gone that route?

Smuggler Steve
Sedalia, CO

Camille Eonich

I love my Earthwalker boots.  If you can't get where Steffon is then you have a someone make themold for you using and old sock and duct tape.  It's very easy to do and he will send you a video of how to do it. 

Even though I love my Earthwalkers I'm not sure that I would choose them for riding it.  Don't get me wrong, they are great for standing in all day and for walking in but when I'm riding I like something with a slick sole so that if something goes wrong it will come out of the stirrup a bit easier.  Of course if you ask Earthwalkers may be able to accomodate you there.  I know that they have several different types of soles that the use.

Stump has a pair of Espinozas that he really like too.  http://www.espinozabootmaker.com/
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

SmugglerSteve

I've just talked to Steffon at Earthwalkers. He was very helpful and I'm mailing him my check for the deposit on the casting kit in the morning. He thought a basic pair that look good at the range and work for riding would be in the $500 to $600 range. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Steve

Camille Eonich

Quote from: SmugglerSteve on September 21, 2007, 02:38:21 PM
I've just talked to Steffon at Earthwalkers. He was very helpful and I'm mailing him my check for the deposit on the casting kit in the morning. He thought a basic pair that look good at the range and work for riding would be in the $500 to $600 range. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Steve

Wow...sounds as though he's gone up on his prices.   :o
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

SmugglerSteve

"Wow...sounds as though he's gone up on his prices."

Well, I do have size 14 feet. That's a lot of leather. He also has a design that he feels is comfortable for walking and works for riding so this is a bit more than basic.

Steve

Camille Eonich

;D  Yeah and I did order mine in 2003 so it stands to reason that they would have gone up some.
― Clint Eastwood

Yankee Will

Holly ham poop!  $500 to $600 bucks for a pair of boots??  What are ya, a doc or lawyer or somethin'.  If I paid that much for a pair of boots, the only place I'd be wearin' 'em would be at my funeral!  The wife would use my new coach gun on me!!
"This country needs more Patton and less patent leather..."

Camille Eonich

It's really not a bad price for a pair of custom boots and they have a lifetime warranty too.  I have worn mine in all kinds of weather and they aren't even starting to show wear.  The other pair that I shoot in have already had to be resoled once and are coming a part in places.  I don't wear those as much as I do my Earthwalkers and haven't had them as long.

Here's my Earthwalkers the day that I got them.

http://www.kimandbarrymckenzie.com/Boots/
― Clint Eastwood

Longhornboot

Are you looking for period boots or some kind of Western fashion ?
Earthwalker boots don't look like anything from the Old West.
If you want period boots try Robert Serio http://www.missouribootandshoe.com/index.asp

Boot.
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did, I said, I didn't know.  Mark Twain

Tommy tornado

Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Pitspitr

I've got 2 pair from Missouri Boot and Shoe. A pair of M-1872 army shoes and a pair of M-1876 Boots. They have you take all your measurements with a tape and then draw around your foot. To me it's just amazing how well they can make a shoe fit your foot without ever even having met you. I've thought I had shoes and boots that fit before and I'm not overly hard to fit, but then I got the MB&S shoes and Now I really understand what good fitting boots are. They don't even need broke in to feel like they fit. I got the last pair, the M-'76 boots last spring, and when I took them out of the box and tried them on I didn't think they were going to be big enough. However; when they made the last slip into place they fit like ...well better than gloves fit me.
One thing I've always enjoyed about living history is the ability to understand something by doing it. I've always wondered how in the old days they wore square toed boots when they rode horses. Last spring We hosted the GAF Dept of the Missouri mini Muster in Ord NE. One stage the shooter started on a wooden horse sitting in a McClellen Saddle. When I put my foot in the stirups they went in and out easily, however when they were ther they felt "secure" like they weren't going anywhere. I couldn't understand how they could feel like they weren't going to slip and yet be easy to get in and out of the stirup. And then the light went on. These stirups and boots were made for each other.
One final thing about MB&S is that they also make shoes for people with hard to fit feet, like those with deformities or injuries. I had a guy ask me about where I got my shoes I was wearing at a living history event. When I told him I'd gotten them from MB&S He said, "really? I just about had my foot taken off in an accident and now I have to have my shoes custom made because of all the damage and they are who makes my boots."
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com