Need ideas for a holster for my Walker... (Gus McCrae style crossdraw)

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, September 20, 2007, 10:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

I have both a Uberti and a ASM Walker revolver I would like to be able to wear this fall for muzzle loader as a backup pistol.

I like the style that Gus had in Lonesome Dove.

Does anyone know of a pattern for it or know who would make something like that? I have some leather I can cut up, but, not quite sure how to get it done.

Anyone have any closeup shots?

Deadeye Don

That is a large piece of iron you will be strapping to your waist.  Let us know if you start having any back problems.  :D 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Johnny McCrae

You may want to try this link  http://www.library.txstate.edu/swwc/ld/ldex081.html

It shows a picture of the belt and holster used by Gus in the movie. Its a small picture but this may be a source for more information on this holster.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Major 2

Contact RL Hanchett bluesman@acd.net  ( photo's are in the Leathermakers forum "show us you stuff" this BB )
he made the Gus style and has sold a few
when planets align...do the deal !

Triggersmith

Dakota, here is my Lonesome Dove Walker holster from my Gus pattern
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Tommy tornado

Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Dakota Widowmaker

Sounds good... now hook me up with one!!!

A matching leather knife sheath for my Buck knife is also needed.
(Woodsman)
http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/232/239

Brazos Jack

Quote from: Dakota Widowmaker on September 20, 2007, 10:50:42 PM
I have both a Uberti and a ASM Walker revolver I would like to be able to wear this fall for muzzle loader as a backup pistol.

Does anyone know of a pattern for it or know who would make something like that? I have some leather I can cut up, but, not quite sure how to get it done.

I have this pattern I would be happy to send you. It's of a California Slim Jim style, but works very well and is specifically made for the Colt Walker. PM me with your address.

Dakota Widowmaker

Here is what Triggersmith sent me after I dropped off a check to him...

It fits my Uberti and ASM walkers just fine...

Marshal Will Wingam

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

outrider

Nice job for sure....come to think of it the last fellow I saw with a Walker had outrigger wheels on it. :D :D :-\
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Triggersmith

Dakota, here are the photos of my Military belt with the arrowhead fastener style buckle.  It shows the brass keeper on the end of the belt that replaces the usual leather loop. I have some extra brass and can make you one or I can rivet a leather loop on it.  Those type buckles are kind of a pain in the butt to install.  Let me know what you want.
Ray
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Trailrider

Quote from: Dakota Widowmaker on September 20, 2007, 10:50:42 PM

Howdy, Pard,

If you are actually going to pack this artillery while hunting, might I suggest a full- or at least a three-quarter flap holster, with the muzzle of the gun protected (either by a stitched-round or plug type toe) from mud, snow, etc.?  Even if you need to get at the gun quickly, you can still do so, yet the percussion caps and muzzle are protected insuring reliable functioning.  The "Gus" rig might look cool, but if you've slid down as many mountainsides on your backside as I have, you learn not to leave the muzzle exposed.  Likewise, walking around in a sleet storm will likely render the percussion caps useless!

Just a thought...

Good hunting!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

will ghormley

I'm with you Trailrider.

If I remember right, the gun Gus was carrying was converted to cartridges.  Also, that was Texas.  Don't have to worry about gettin' your powder or caps wet there, unless you fall off your horse crossin' a creek.  Any way you slice it, the Walker would be more reliable in the woods in a holster with a flap and toe plug.  As far as that goes, I'm not too sure but what packin' a Walker would make a muzzel loader an unneccessary burden.

Will
"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Tommy tornado

Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Dakota Widowmaker

Well, I carried a 44mag as a BUG to my Spencer for hunting this fall.

Neither item saw any action the whole weekend. (no deer were seen while in my tree stand)

Didn't make it out for muzzle loader season... maybe next year.

When I carry my walker, next fall, it will be with an R&D conversion in it.. ;)

Dalton Masterson

Good choice! I have been carrying my R&D equipped 1860 (actually a 51 Pietta, but they list it as a 60 conversion) the last week here for deer season. Decided if I have a close shot, I am gonna use the pistol. Got some stout 777/250gr loads in it, so should work. Really want a Walker cylinder tho. Good luck. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com