Leather and laser cutters

Started by Hans, September 19, 2007, 06:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

Anyone laser cut leather patterns?
I have a 50 watt laser in the shop and thought I could cut out leather parts with it. Will 50 watts be enough to cut most leather?
Hans

Slowhand Bob

I'm not familiar with the process but would tend to think that burnt edges might be a problem.  Would seem to be an easy experiment to try, just get a few small pieces of leather to sperrymint with.  I think in the end you will find it handier for tool or die making than leather production but as stated I know nothing about lasers. 

Marshal Will Wingam

I agree with Bob that the laser might not be the right tool for cutting leather. Heat will do odd things to leather. Cutting with it would have to leave a burnt edge. Burnt leather shrinks and gets brittle. Try it, though, it will be an interesting experiment.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Hans

Thanks,
I guess I'll just give it a try and see what happens. I can cut 3/32" thick balsa wood at about 200" per minute. It leaves a slight brown on the edge, but no burn marks.
My thought was to cut out the parts, say saddle bag parts and then to turn the laser power down and put the tooling cuts on the parts.
Thanks again,
Hans

Marshal Will Wingam

Let us know how it goes, Hans. You may hit on something.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Buffalo

I've been doing a lot of it lately. I like it, but do not do it very deep (you don't want to penetrate the outer surface of the leather all the way threw or it will crack) I had both of these things laser engraved. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,228.360.html
Try a few scraps and test it out.
Buff

Hans

Those are real nice! I plan on giving it a try soon.
I was real big into scale radio control planes and bought the laser to cut kits for my projects.
Got into CAS and  have not been doing much with the planes, so I thought I would use it for leather cutting and also to do the swivel knife work. Then I would have nice clean crisp lines to use for the tooling work. See, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler!!!

I'll let you all know how it works out.
Hans

Travis Morgan

What's one of those lasers cost?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com