Boot Water proofing

Started by Flinch Morningwood, September 18, 2007, 09:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flinch Morningwood

I bought a pair of boots from the Thomas Lincoln Historical Site...they are very nice - Brown, Stovepipe (17" Tops), 1 peice fronts, etc.

I got the toes wet at a shoot Sunday and a line formed at the wet/dry demarkation that looked like salt stain on a shirt that you sweat too much in...The only treatment I had applied was some Montan Pitch Blend Waterproofing (Pine pitch/Mink oil/beeswax).

After two vigorous saddle soapings, I have gotten the white stain out.  My questions are:

(1) What waterproofing does the herd recoommend going forward?  Something that would actually work....

(2)  What might have caused the stain?  I don't think it was the Montana Pitch Blend, but I've been wrong before.  I don't know where the boots were actually made...

Thanks!
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Irish Dave

Al:

I prefer Ko-Cho-Line or Saddle Butter and have used both with good effect.

I think Huberd's Shoe Oil is a good product as well.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

papahoss

::)Just a side note: Did you know that me and you and Russel Crowe and the cast of the 3:10 to Yuma all got our boots from the same place? I bought boots from the Lincoln site in person and the lady told me they sold boots and shoes to the film company for the making of the 3:10 to yuma, I don't think I'm headed to Hollywood or anything, just thought it was interesting.
Papa hoss what wears the boots of the stars. :o

Delmonico

This is all I use, and what I recomend to anyone who asks me about boot dressing at work.

http://www.obenaufs.com/lp.php?osCsid=ba52c915a0217db560e4019d9c9118f4

Developed for the smoke jumpers, Gore-Tex approved, surf their site and check out their information, works good around barn yards, loved by rural firefighters who do a lot of grass fire.  We have found out it it good for chapped hands and lips also.  Ain't tried it yet on boolits, but most likely would even make a decent black powder type lube.   ;)

BTW, no one has ever came back and said we sold them a lousy product.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks like a good product, Del. I've used something similar, can't recall what it was called, but it was basically neatsfoot oil and bees wax. Great stuff.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Flinch Morningwood

Del,

I bought some of the stuff you suggested...Thanks!

They also had a spray on silicone they recommend after you put the oil on...I seem to remember somewhere that silicone plays hell with stitching after a while.  Is that true or am I "mis-remembering'?
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Buffalow Red

it plays hell with paint or finish causes fish eyes or seperating of the finish
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Delmonico

Quote from: Little Al on September 24, 2007, 04:13:27 PM
Del,

I bought some of the stuff you suggested...Thanks!

They also had a spray on silicone they recommend after you put the oil on...I seem to remember somewhere that silicone plays hell with stitching after a while.  Is that true or am I "mis-remembering'?

Yep, that is what my shoe repair lady says, with this stuff you need nothing else.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Little Al

Salt stains are just what they are, use Skidmores cream and you won't have any more trouble with boots holsters belts or anything leather that you want to protect... go to www.skidmores.com

Give it a shot, I know you will like it

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hi Little Al

It's called Skidmores Bees Wax Water Proofing. Just wanted to get that straight

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER  :-[
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Delmonico

The Obenhaufs will do the same as for salt stains.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com