lead shot prices

Started by John Barleycorn, September 16, 2007, 09:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barleycorn

What are the current prices? I'm thinking about starting to reload shotshells but don't know if its worth it. I currently use Remington dove loads about $4 a box of 25. Can anyone that owns a Littleton Shotmaker tell me about it? Thanks JB
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Shot prices are nuts right now. Used to be we complained about $18/bag. I  lucked out a few weeks ago and found somebody who was selling it at $26/bag. He's all sold out now and that price is long gone. I stopped into a local sports shop the other day and he was charging $39 bag. I've heard some places are charging as much as $49/bag. My Trap club just placed a large order and I'm going to pick up a couple of bags for $31/bag, which is an excellent price, right now.

Frankly, if you've never loaded shotshells before, I would not think about making  your own shot. If all you're loading for is CAS, you're not going to be loading a whole lot of shells and it will take a long time to recoup your investment. And you're still going to have to find a cheap source of lead in the first place, which is the whole problem.

I shoot a lot of Trap, and go through a lot of shells in a year. I don't even bother to reload shotgun for Trap anymore, I can do better buying shells through my club when we buy in bulk. You don't save a whole lot of money loading shotgun shells over buying them. The calculation is not the same as with metallic reloading. With the high price of lead right now, you're going to get socked for it whether you buy it in bags, or preloaded in shells. Frankly, if you're buying shells now for $4/box, that's a great price. Used to be the really good shells like Winchester AA and Remington STS cost about $5/box. Now they are up around  $6/box. But like I said, the calculation for savings with shotshells is much different than the calculation for metallic reloading. I doubt I could make my own shells for much more than $4/box, plus my time is worth something to me.

If you want to start loading shotshells, I would just buy a bag of shot for now and learn to load on that bag. There was an article in some of the financial magazines a few weeks ago stating that the price of lead is artificially high right now and should start falling soon. I hope they are right, although I doubt we will ever see it at $18/bag again.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Arcey

A pard of mine and I were told a few months ago to buy shot then if we wanted it.  Though some 'expert' blamed the rise in prices on other factors, we were told the chi-coms were buying every ounce of lead they could get their hands on.  I suppose they have many, many toys to paint.

I didn't buy any then, wish I had.  If I recall correctly the shop was @ $26.00 a bag.  A few weeks ago I wanted a bag.  The prices had been removed from the shelves.  When I asked I had to laugh.  $57.00.  I found it considerably cheaper on the web, S&H included.

I have seventy five pounds now and all I use it for is CAS, 7/8 oz. at a time.  Maybe that'll last long enough for the demand to drop lowering the manufacturers' initial expenses.  I have to load.  I can't get what I shoot commercially.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

moab mark

Went to the Sportsman Warehouse.......Nov. 11, 2007......25# bag of #8 shot was $49.99.

IMHO.....$4 a box for 12 ga. is a great price, IF you can still find them that cheap.  The usually cheap Estate SG shells was $5.49.....Win Feather Lite was $6.99 a box.

Aloha, Mark

Four Eyed Floyd

Just picked up a 25# bag "on sale" for $45.00. Wally World sells Winchester 12 gauge ultra lights for $5.96 a box not really worth loading your own unless for some special purpose.
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Abilene

Stopped by High Country Guns in Prescott, AZ a few days ago on the way back from NASGW show in Reno.  Shot was $59.95 per bag.  Yikes!  :o  They mentioned that Legendary Guns in Phoenix was about the same.

Might have to start shooting BP blank shells when the target is a swinger.  Spotters don't seem to call misses too often on swingers  ;D  (Actually, I did that a few years back, last two shots on one stage.  Told the RO what I was going to do, just to see if the spotters called a miss.  They didn't)

Curley Cole

Ya might give Connies Components (conniescompnents.com) a look see. they have the following available now:

shot ( ranging from 6-9) is 39.99 per 25# with FREE shipping if you buy 2

Clays powder is $225 for 16 pounds with FREE shipping and hazmat

209 primers. (they have Federal, Winchester and a couple of others) for $154 a case with FREE shipping and hazmat.

check them out..

Curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Big Matt

If you're just going to shoot KD targets for CAS, check out
http://www.lolosportinggoods.com/catalog_i6349238.html?catId=165741

They are selling shot for $1.00 a pound that is good enough for our game.
Big Matt
Colorado Ranger
SASS# 66435
SBSS# 2120
Warthog
Rats #388

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com