The Classic Old Western Society in Finland

Started by Marshal Halloway, December 01, 2004, 10:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Halloway

written by Mad Dog Reno - 11/30/2004
This organization was founded in 1999 and around 50 of their members are participating in cowboy action shooting.
Read the story on Main Street
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

The Arapaho Kid

Marshal Halloway:  With CAS growing in the Scandinavian Countries....does the mean we will be seeing shooters with an alias like:  "Two Gun Torvald". "Sidewinder Sven", "Grapeshot Gunnar", or "Beartrack Bjorn"?

Qball

WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Forty Rod

Okay, who's gonna be first up to claim Thor Sammer?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

The Arapaho Kid

Thor Sammer.  Now that's a class act!
We might also encounter shooters like:  "Deadeye Dagmar"  a lady shooter; "Ironhorse Ingvarr",  "Rancid Ragnar" and "Hogleg Heikki"  My goodness...there's all sorts of possibilities with Scandinavian names!

Qball

Check out our website. Swedish and Norvegan spoken only (sorry)
http://www.cascity.com/sws/index2.shtml
Hey wait a minute, there is a international place on our forum dropp by and say hello.
http://www.cascity.com/sws/saloon/index.php?board=5.0
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

chas_harsbro

Hyvaa paivaa!!!! Mitas kuulu?
Charlie Harsbro

The Arapaho Kid

I grew up in a town that was 85% Scandinavian and know them well.  I probably know 70% of the "Sven and Ole" jokes and I'm well aquainted with Lefse, Lutefisk, Krumkakka, Panukakku and all that good stuff!  I'm probably one of the few non-Scandinavians that will actually eat Lutefisk and enjoy it.

Book Miser

Man...I always thought "Lutefisk" was Norwegian for "penance."

;D

Bad Flynch

I showed this to my wife who is an American of Finnish descent and who grew up with Finn as the first language in her home. She thought it was nifty, but reminded me that Finns are not Scandinavians. Scandinavians are the Germanic peoples of the area: Danes, Swedes, Norweigans, and Icelanders. Finns are from a group known as Finno-Ugric peoples and are related more to Hungarians, perhaps Latvians (if my memory is any good), and the peoples across the Urals. Apparently there are some language connections with Korean, too.
B.F.

Book Miser

Being from a long line of Polacks, I wouldn't know the difference.

Now, if we were talking Poland versus Slovenia versus Slovakia versus Bohemia, etcetera....  I'd still be in the dark.  ;D

Mad Dog Reno

Quote from: chas_harsbro on December 02, 2004, 02:17:35 PM
Hyvaa paivaa!!!! Mitas kuulu?
Charlie Harsbro

No hyvää päivää! Minulle ainakin kuuluu oiken hyvää!
So good morning! I'm very fine thank you!

So i'ts some who can also Finish.
Arapaho Kid  "pannukakku" pancake are very good!
Bad Flynch to your knowledge,  Finland belongs to Scandinavia!
With best regards: Mad Dog Reno
Founder member of C.O.W.S #2
Leader of C.O.W.S Buckskinners section.
(Classic Old Western Society of Finland)

The Arapaho Kid

It has always been my understanding the Norway, Sweden, Finland, Lapland, Iceland, Greenland and Denmark were all Scandinavian???

The Arapaho Kid

Where I used to work, before I retired, my manager was from Finland.  Now...Scandinavian food is somewhat bland and they don't use a lot of spices.  Pepper and Paprika is about as far as they go.  Well...the department, evey once in a while, had a pot luck lunch.  I took in a loaf of Ass Kickin' Beer Bread with Habanero in it!  It was moderately toasty, but not killer hot!  I was sitting there with another guy and we were munching the bread.  My manager came by and wanted to know what we were eating.  I told him Beer Bread, but I didn't mention the Habanero.  He grabbed a piece and took a bite.  About 20 seconds later...his face turned red and he made some comment like "Oh my God!  This is HOT!"  Larry and I just sat there and snickered.

Qball

I luve spicy food ;D
do you have a recipe for that bread
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: Qball on December 03, 2004, 11:38:50 AM
I luve spicy food ;D

Qball:  There is no recipe that I know of.  I use Google and type in "Ass Kicking Beer Bread" and it takes me to several sites where you can buy it.  It's pre mixed.  All you do is add beer and bake.

Book Miser

QuoteScandinavian food is somewhat bland and they don't use a lot of spices. 

That's what I discovered when we spent a couple of months in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

You cross the Macinack bridge, and every other shop sign advertises "pasties." Now, growing up in Baltimore, the land of Blaze Starr, I know a "pasty" as a little item that strippers use to preserve a few square inches of modesty. Passing through Ishpeming (right up the street from Yooper's Tourist Trap), I spied a sign reading "Gran T's Pasties," and decided it was time for me to poke out my mind's eye.  ;)

Finally, we ventured to ask, and learned that it's pronounced PAHS-tee, and that it's a little bit of pie crust with meat and vegetables. Now, I think, "anything in pie crust has to be worth trying," so I sampled a few of them. The filling, as it happens, is mostly potatoes and turnips, and if ever there was something that cried out for red-eye gravy, salsa, or a liberal dose of Tabasco, it's a pasty. Returning home, we mentioned these to a friend who hails from Cornwall, UK, and she told us that the pasty is a Cornish invention that was adopted by the Finns who also worked the Copper mines of the Keewenaw Peninsula.

Now, in my mind it's a toss-up for which is the most boring food on earth: pasties or boiled peanuts.

In any event, thank God there is still some regional food in the USA. (In Savannah, GA they sell a local cookbook entitled Sherman Didn't Burn Our Recipes.)

Qball

Quote from: The Arapaho Kid on December 03, 2004, 01:51:40 PM
Quote from: Qball on December 03, 2004, 11:38:50 AM
I luve spicy food ;D

Qball:  There is no recipe that I know of.  I use Google and type in "Ass Kicking Beer Bread" and it takes me to several sites where you can buy it.  It's pre mixed.  All you do is add beer and bake.
OK Thank's
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Mad Dog Reno

Quote from: The Arapaho Kid on December 03, 2004, 10:49:28 AM
It has always been my understanding the Norway, Sweden, Finland, Lapland, Iceland, Greenland and Denmark were all Scandinavian???

To Scandinavia belong following lands: Finland, Sweden, Norway, Danmark & Iceland.
And Lapland is a part of Finland. There lives the Santa Clause !
With best regards: Mad Dog Reno
Founder member of C.O.W.S #2
Leader of C.O.W.S Buckskinners section.
(Classic Old Western Society of Finland)

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: The Arapaho Kid on December 02, 2004, 05:58:49 PM
I'm probably one of the few non-Scandinavians that will actually eat Lutefisk and enjoy it.

You're twisted. I tried that stuff once. I can eat almost anything but that is beyond the envelope. All my inlaws (Finns) love it except my wife. She's the only smart one in the bunch. It's not the smell. It's not the taste (I was raised on creamed codfish, very similar). It is the CONSISTENCY. You can't pick it up properly with a spoon. U-u-u-u-u-u-u-uh! Disgusting.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com