.44 Russian Spencer Purchased with Stabler Cutoff Switch - photos added

Started by Dusty Tagalon, September 12, 2007, 08:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Tagalon

I should have my Spencer in hand by the end of the week, (44 Russian). I have made up some dummy rounds to test load & ejecting of rounds.

Question to anyone with a 44 Russian, how many rounds will it hold?

Thanks
Dusty

major

Dusty
The .44 Russian version will hold 9 in the magazine but only load 8.  If you put 9 in the magazine the first one will be more likely to jam when you lever the action. 
Is this a new one or a used one?  I didn't think there were any new ones left as they have been discontinued.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Dusty Tagalon

It is new, from Fall Creek Suttlery, last one they had.

Dusty

Two Flints

Dusty,

Hope you have good shooting with your .44 Russian Spencer.  I've always been pleased with my .45 Schofield Spencer...wish you well with yours...let us know if SSS can be of any help ;D ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Dusty Tagalon

I was surprized to see the serial number of the gun. Being one of the last ones avaiable, it was one of the earlist manufactured. Starting with an less than M0020. My first choice of bullets (200 grain) are flat tip, but still too pointed. The nose slides sideways on the lifter, if I force it in the keeper cuts a good slash in the bullit. I will have to see if any of the local gun shopd have some 44 Russian on hand.

Dusty

Dusty Tagalon

Report after shooting in competition. The only problem with the gun was me, after bumping into the safety too many times, I removed it. 2nd day in competion much better. My aim point on the targets is 6:00. I had no problems feeding from the magazine, nor extracting. Ocassionally the empty shell was left on the keeper, after dumping a few times, I realized, just close the lever, the empty casing will clear. Overall, very pleased with gun.

Dusty

Two Flints

Dusty,

Not sure what you mean by "after bumping into the safety too many times"?  Can you explain what you meant by this statement?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Dusty Tagalon

1st, there is no picture of the lever in the illustrated parts breakdown. No mention of it in the safety manual. Also went to Taylors webpage, the photographs of Spencers there don't have the lever.
Just ahead of the trigger was a lever, if out of position, it prevents the lower block from opening. When inline with the trigger, no rounds would advance from the magazine. For proper function, I needed to be turned 90 dgress from the trigger. It was an external lever & one screw.

Dusty

major

I wonder if he is talking about a "Stabler cutoff"?  The only problem is that only originals have them the reproductions from Armisport don't.
This gun may have been modified by someone before he got it which makes it a used gun not a new one.  This might also account for the low serial number.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Drydock

That sure does sound like a Stabler Cut off.  You have a very curious weapon there Dusty, as none of the current repro's carry such a thing.  Bet this gun has an interesting History.

So how was the Muster, Dusty?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Dusty Tagalon

If you look at the photos from Fall Creek Sutlery, they show the cutoff.

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcweaponscartridge.asp

The muster was a lot of fun.

Dusty

Deadeye Don

The Stabler cut off was actually a historically correct version of the Spencer made for the military.  It allowed the command to be given to cut off the lever feed from the magazine during battle and essentially turned the Spencer into a single shot weapon, thus leaving the magazine 7 rounds intact in case they were needed.  Sounds like a really cool version of the Spencer you have there
Dusty.  You should have loads of fun with it and you are lucky Fall Creek had one left in that caliber as well.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Dusty Tagalon

Well I guess I will put it back on, & remove the other oddity on the gun, the sling swival on the forearm band.

Dusty

Photos of my Spencer .44 Russian with Stabler cutoff.

Two Flints

Dusty,

How about some photos of your .44 Russian Spencer?  Also some closeup photos of that lever/switch near the receiver would be great to look at.

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

red coneston

Dusty, already sent a pm before I saw this thread. My rifle will slash the bullets to. Tried some 215's with a small shoulder but they were more apt to jam, it likes 200rnfp like hunter sold. With 160's it'll hold nine easy but you have to be very deliberate to make them cycle. If you cut a little of the rubber off the magazine tip it'll hold 9 200's tightly but the last round is more apt to jam. Just leave the stabler on, you'll get used to it.
    Red

Drydock

I seem to recall reading a few years back, possibly in "Shoot" or maybe in an early review in the CC, that a very few preproduction  prototypes (Perhaps 1 or 2, certainly no more than 5) had been made to evaluate the Stabler Cut off.   It was abandoned as adding complexity to an allready premium priced item. 

I think you have something very rare there Dusty, and worth hanging onto.

I would leave the forarm swivel too.  Again, its both historicaly correct, as various numbers of M1865s did indeed have such a forearm band, and it is also a mark of one of ASMs preproduction Prototypes.  Like the original, they used Sharps bands, with full production guns going to a solid, no swivel band.

The serial number means little, as these guns would be stamped with a serial number later, in sequence with production, to go out the door for sale.  Every prototype I've seen so far does indeed have a number under 100, all in .44 Russian chambering.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Deadeye Don

One nice thing with the new Armi Sport repos is that you can easily add a front sling mount and then take it off just as easily.  I am thinking of getting one to use on our woods walk shoot. It would be alot more easy to sling it over your shoulder than carry it. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Steel-eye Steve

If it was the last one Fall Creek had, I believe I handled it at a reenactment in early August. Yes, it had a functioning Stabler cut-off.
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Mick Archer

Howdy Pards!

Yes, Edward Stabler first design was not accepted, but his second caused a minor problem for the new Model 1865 Spencers made by Spencer.  The retooling delayed the first batch of Stabler device equipped ones until the shipment of June 16, 1865.  12,502 M1865's made by Spencer had them (roughly half)- their function being to "switch off' the magazine feed to allow (or force) a soldier to load one at a time.
  However, about 11,000 M1860's were arsenal redone/rebored, Stabler device added,  and refinished roughly between 1867 and 1874.
   The Stabler device also appears on some Burnside contract M1865's (about 19,000) , as well as the Model 1867 and "New Model of 1868."

Mick Archer
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Appalachian Ed

It's a Stabler, I have one on my 1860 Romano. Without one, it is a pain to load and shoot single shot.

"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com