single shot shotgun

Started by Tequila Jim, September 11, 2007, 09:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tequila Jim

Here I thought single shot shotguns had to have an exsposed hammer. Not so sayeth the SASS
rule book. Did I read that right?  Big 5 had a great deal on a single barrel a few weeks ago, but
hammer less.  >:( >:( Regards, TJ

Dick Dastardly

SASS loves hammers, except when one of the floundering fathers has something he wants to shoot that don't have no hammer.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Driftwood Johnson

SHOTGUN REQUIREMENTS
Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860
until 1899 without automatic ejectors, with or without external hammers, having single or
double triggers is allowed. Lever action, tubular feed, exposed hammer shotguns of the
period are allowed, whether original or replicas. The only slide action shotgun allowed is the
Model 1897 Winchester shotgun, whether original or replica. Certain shooting categories
require a specific type of shotgun and ammunition to be used. Military configurations are not
allowed (i.e., trench guns). Please see the shooting categories for further information.
SHOTGUN GUAGES
• Side-by-side, single shot, and lever action shotguns must be centerfire of at least 20 gauge
and no larger the 10 gauge.
• Slide action shotguns must be centerfire of at least 16 gauge and no larger than 12 gauge.
• Side-by-side, single shot, and lever action centerfire shotguns in .410 gauge are allowed
within the Buckaroo Category only.

Yup, hammerless single shots are OK.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Tequila Jim

I think with a little practice a body could run a single shot as fast as most of the 87 shooters and
perhaps give the 97 shooters a run for the money. Maybe, anyhow I want to try it. Regards, Jim

Dick Dastardly

Not only that Jim, you can still find some reasonably prices single shot 10ga guns around.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Tequila Jim

No, no, no, DD, I don't need another size shotshell to play with. I know you like the 10 ga. I can churn out plastic or brass
12 ga shotshells at a resonable pace. I really got started on this single shot thing, hell even the BP thing, because of a couple of pards giving me some guff about my shall we say warthog loads. Whats that new group you started, throw away the timer and lets have some fun?  Regards, Jim

Dick Dastardly

Hey Jim,

I'll be shootn' with that bunch at Fandango in October.  Great fun shoot.  I'm takin' my 10ga SxS and probly my 16ga too.

Here's the outfit I was talkin' about.

http://www.thundercoltsrenegades.com/

They are a bunch of shooters dedicated to bringing as much fun to a match as possible.  We even had a clock shoot where we shot old alarm clocks. . . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Pony Racer

My Martini-Henry converted to 12 guage is a single shot 12 gauge crowd pleaser!!

It can shoot 2-3/4 shells but for smooth ejection it prefers 2 inch shells - wahoo I have 75 2 inch brass shells loaded so far!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Dick Dastardly

Gunfighter Ordinar

Tequila Jim

DD, that is an interesting web site, I bookmarked it for feuture reference.  Good looking shotgun, the
current H&R single shots feel like they weigh about a half pound, I think anyone would take a serious pounding
using one. I'm in no hurry. Regards, Jim

Ringo Steele

Howdy Jim,
I am currently using my H&R 12 gauge single shot for SASS work. It does kick some with smokeless loads like the STS, but with my BP loads, it ain't half bad at all! I'm loading about 80gr FFg with 1 1/8 oz shot.

I did mill a bit out of the inside of the forearm and put in about 3 oz shot, and loaded the hole in the butstock with about 6 oz, so that helped in the recoil department. Took a little off the comb so it would fit me better too! Doesn't even need a recoil pad, now!

With some practice, it can be fairly quick (not that I am a speed demon, or even practice for that matter), particularly if you get the chamber polished so the empties just fall out. The ejector is a piece of cake to turn into a extractor. If you want details, just give me a email.

Tequila Jim

Ringo, I am guessing the ejector is the same as on the rifles.  I altered the one on my 38/55 making it an
extractor. Maybe I'll go give the H&R's another look. Regards, Jim

tedyeat

Would a New England Firearms 12 Ga. "pardner" hammer single shot be Cas legal?

Dick Dastardly

Gunfighter Ordinar

RidinForTheBrand

Low Brass Smokeless shells aint to bad a kick in a H&R "pardner", but the high brass sure hurts. Never tried BP so dont have a say on that.

Would you have to disable the ejector on a "pardner" single shot to use it in CAS?

what about the push button release, rather than side lever release, would that still be legal in CAS?

Bow View Haymaker

Quote from: RidinForTheBrand on May 28, 2010, 09:16:07 AM

Would you have to disable the ejector on a "pardner" single shot to use it in CAS?

what about the push button release, rather than side lever release, would that still be legal in CAS?

The ejector is ok for SASS but extractor only in Ncows.  The NEF is the same gun as the H & R so the design goes back a long way.  I've been using my 20 ga H & R a few times and its fun to be different.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Tequila Jim

Wow, where did this thing spring from?  Just for what it's worth I ended up with a Stevens Springfield 30 in barrel
full choke. Pretty beat up but it's hits where I aim it. Oh and it has an ejector. Regards, Jim

RidinForTheBrand

Quote from: Tequila Jim on September 12, 2007, 10:19:59 AM
I think with a little practice a body could run a single shot as fast as most of the 87 shooters and
perhaps give the 97 shooters a run for the money. Maybe, anyhow I want to try it. Regards, Jim

Did ya give them a run for their money?  ;D

My fault for bringin this post some new life, But I'm new to CAS and am looking for equipment considerations, I just so happin to own  a "Pardner" single, and just wanted some questions answered without starting a new post.  : :)

Pettifogger

Quote from: RidinForTheBrand on May 28, 2010, 09:54:44 PM

Did ya give them a run for their money?  ;D

My fault for bringin this post some new life, But I'm new to CAS and am looking for equipment considerations, I just so happin to own  a "Pardner" single, and just wanted some questions answered without starting a new post.  : :)

You would have to be a really poor 87 shooter and a down right awful 97 shooter to get beat by a single shot.  At a competitive level there is no way a single shot will remotely compete with any SASS legal repeating shotgun.  (Double, 87 or 97).

Tequila Jim

Pettifogger has it right, all you get with ths single shot is fun and style points. And they are fun. Regards, jim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com